PDA

View Full Version : Re-Introduction

Brad Schmid
03-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Hi all,
I’ve been away for a while, and thought I’d re-introduce myself.
The “kick” that brought me back was the recent failure of my planer. Knowing there would be some current educated opinion here on the latest and greatest, I came back to do some research, which reminded me why I came here in the first place years ago.

I joined in 2003 and the last time I posted was in 2012. Since then, life has got in the way of my activity here. Between my daughters rodeo schedule, my son’s (demanding, non-stop, year ‘round) high school football schedule, and my clay shooting schedule, it didn’t leave much time for participation here for a while. My woodworking continued through this time, although not quite as vigorous; and I do come and read from time to time. I see a lot of my old friends and online acquaintances are still here, and I see lots of new names as well. I’m happy to see SMC seems to have maintained the friendly and helpful atmosphere it has always had. I’m going to try and visit a little more often again in the future. So to all of you, I say hello; it’s nice to have some time to come back to familiar surroundings 

Back to the planer – I haven’t needed to buy a new piece of equipment for years and I didn’t realize how difficult it had become to give somebody your money:rolleyes:. I placed an order for a Grizzly 453PX 15” Spiral Cutterhead planer yesterday. When I called today for availability, they said it’s stuck offshore west coast on a barge due to a dockworkers strike and earliest estimate they could give was May 19. Well darn-it, I’m halfway through a big kitchen build and now I’m out of commission. I tried finding another brand either locally or online that might be in stock, but no luck so far. I suppose all the imports are being affected in the same way? Anybody know for sure? Anybody in the Houston area want to take pity on me and sell me their 15” spiral cutterhead planer :D Heck, even a decent used 15” straight blade cutterhead planer similar to a G0453 that I can upgrade will do nicely. These machines seem very scarce on the used market where I’m at, which is why I tried for a new machine…
Good to be back.
Cheers

Rich Riddle
03-09-2015, 12:29 PM
It's a chunk more money and goes off sale tonight at midnight, but the Jet JWP-15HH has the segmented head and includes shipping. You will need to act fast when it is still $2341.74 including shipping. The cost goes up 15% tonight. Powermatic 179210 segmented head is also on sale for about the exact same price and the same sell ends for them tonight. Order from one of the on-line retailers who has one in stock.

Brad Schmid
03-09-2015, 1:07 PM
It's a chunk more money and goes off sale tonight at midnight, but the Jet JWP-15HH has the segmented head and includes shipping. You will need to act fast when it is still $2341.74 including shipping. The cost goes up 15% tonight. Powermatic 179210 segmented head is also on sale for about the exact same price and the same sell ends for them tonight. Order from one of the on-line retailers who has one in stock.

I'm trying to do that as well, but each place I checked says Jet is out of stock and won't be back in for at least a month. I'm suspecting all this equipment is sitting on the same barge(s) waiting on the dockworkers... If you happen to stumble on one in stock soemwhere online today, I'd appreciated if you could let me know.

Rich Riddle
03-09-2015, 2:43 PM
Brad. Found one and sent you an e-mail.

Daniel O'Neill
03-09-2015, 4:20 PM
I had looked at SteelCity's lunchbox planer and they're new stuff (not on the website yet) is also delayed due to the dock strike. ... And, they're based here in Chicago-land who knew. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Brad Schmid
03-09-2015, 9:22 PM
Brad. Found one and sent you an e-mail.
Thank you Rich, I appreciate the effort. I checked it out and it was a $650 price difference including the shipping for more or less the same planer. But, that's given me another idea... I might buy another lunchbox planer to tide me over for the 2 months of waiting on the 0453PX. The $650 will easily make up for that and I'll still be money ahead. Then, I can either keep it as an emergency spare or resell it and someone will get a nice break on a lightly used planer.