PDA

View Full Version : Vase Hollowing Demo

David Delo
03-09-2015, 8:42 AM
Had a few members from our local chapter over to the man cave on Saturday for a hands-on session for deeper than normal hollowing. Nothing special about the form itself but none of the participants had any hollowing experience or hadn't done anything beyond 4" deep, so the wide mouth vase was easy for everyone to pick up on. We hollowed this piece out to 12" deep with 1/4" wall thickness. I had prepared 3 blanks prior and thought we would have time to do 2 of them but we only got 1 done. 7 people came so I think we I do it again, I'll limit the class size to 3 or 4. Anyway, everyone had a good time. The coffee was hot and the donuts were fresh and sweet. Here's a few pictures of how us geezers spent the day.

David Delo
03-09-2015, 8:44 AM
some more pics

Randy Red Bemont
03-09-2015, 9:09 AM
Very nice and great pics. Looks like it was a fun time and a great demo.

Red

Tony De Masi
03-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Looks like a fun time was had by all. Nice pics too. But on a side note, NOBODY turns in my shop without a face shield on. NOBODY. They don't want to wear one? They don't turn. Period.

David Delo
03-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Looks like a fun time was had by all. Nice pics too. But on a side note, NOBODY turns in my shop without a face shield on. NOBODY. They don't want to wear one? They don't turn. Period.Good point Tony. I slipped up a bit on that issues with a couple of the guys. Everyone did bring either safety glasses or shield. Just went over my head and I didn't catch it while it was all going on.

Sid Matheny
03-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Work shops are always fun and it's great to together and learn something.

charlie knighton
03-09-2015, 2:41 PM
thanks for sharing with us, looks like yall had a good time

David Delo
03-09-2015, 4:41 PM
Got this idea from reading the AAW Chapter Survey thread results that appeared last summer. We have around 100+ members with about 50-60 at any given monthly meeting. We do have hands-on sessions maybe 3 times a year but with that number of people it's a little harder to get a lot of personal feedback between each other. This smaller setting gave a little better opportunity for interaction between the attendees.

allen thunem
03-10-2015, 1:47 PM
Looks like a fun time was had by all. Nice pics too. But on a side note, NOBODY turns in my shop without a face shield on. NOBODY. They don't want to wear one? They don't turn. Period.

tony
to each their own on what they like or choose to wear when it comes to safety items we dont all dance to the same drummer

Tony De Masi
03-10-2015, 2:31 PM
I fully understand that Allen. When you are in your own shop, then do as you wish. If you are in my, shop then you abide by what I say. Never had an issue and I've had as many as six other turners in my shop for a full day, or two, of turning.

Roger Chandler
03-10-2015, 3:00 PM
I have to agree with Tony here..........a faceshield is the most basic protection to protect eyes from being hit by flying curlees, chips, shavings.......and absolutely should be worn by a turner. It is just not worth risking the loss of eyesight because a person ignores the most basic/fundamental safety rule.........I personally would not want to expose myself to the risk of a lawsuit because I, being maybe a person with the most experience at turning, and an event held at my shop be held liable for medical bills or even worse.

Tony has it right here!

David Delo
03-10-2015, 4:45 PM
Just a couple of other details about this work session:

1.) It was required to be safety glasses or faceshield or other Airstream type device. Everyone did but I did a poor job of catching who was and wasn't during their turn.
2.) Everyone did sign a liability waiver prior to class and I would suggest if anyone ever does something similar to do the same.

I shaped the outside form of the vase prior to class and yes I did wear a faceshield. But PERSONALLY, I only use safety glasses when actually hollowing a piece. The piece is captured and your standing outside of any line of fire when hollowing, so its probably one of the safest turning operations you can do. It's not like a steady stream of chips are flying back at you like when you core and do need to wear a faceshield.

On a side note, I've found I much prefer to vacuum out the dust with my shop vac type vacuum rather than just blowing out with compressed air. Takes a little bit more time but makes for a much cleaner operation.

Roger Chandler
03-10-2015, 5:43 PM
Good to hear that, David.......I also prefer to vacuumn the chips when possible.....less mess!