PDA

View Full Version : Favorite wood strip suppliers?

Kit Dumph
03-08-2015, 9:40 PM
I'm starting to take on some more projects and looking for some better priced suppliers for certain types of wood strips. Right now I go through Colorado Heirloom since they are local and provide an excellent quality product when it comes to real wood strips. I'm interested in some of the cheaper stuff at the moment though such as veneers. What type of core is best for cutting and engraving, and do you guys have specific suppliers you use? Places to look locally?

What is everyone's thoughts on Baltic Birch as well?

David Somers
03-09-2015, 2:53 AM
Kit, you might go into your Settings for the forum (upper right corner of the screen) and include your state and country in settings under profile and then location so it shows up in the right side of your posts. Folks can help you better with local info if they know that.

Dave

Mike Null
03-09-2015, 11:25 AM
I will probably irritate a good number here but I have never seen anything engraved in Baltic birch that I thought was suitable for display.

I use Colorado Heirloom often and find their woods always give me a good end product. Going cheaper will probably look cheaper.

Andrew Holloway
03-09-2015, 6:04 PM
I order solid 1/8" wood thins from Ocooch Hardwoods and find them to be great quality, although the price including shipping to Australia makes them expensive.

I get timber veneers with 3mm MDF core from a local (Australian) plywood supplier. It is an excellent low cost alternative to solid wood thins for a number of applications. It is much more stable (no warping) and less than half the price. You can get veneers on a 3mm plywood core too.

Bruce Volden
03-10-2015, 12:07 AM
If memory serves me correctly, there is a member right here on SMC who has quite a few varieties of thin cut wood suitable for cutting and inlay work. ??George?? is that you?

Bruce

David Somers
03-10-2015, 1:29 AM
Bruce,

Were you thinking of Michael Kowalcyzk?

Dave

Mike Null
03-10-2015, 7:02 AM
Michael sells Baltic birch. George Perzel has wood thins in several varieties and of good quality.

George M. Perzel
03-10-2015, 9:00 AM
Mike, Bruce;
Thanks for the referral.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Bruce Volden
03-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Mike, Bruce;
Thanks for the referral.
Best Regards,