PDA

View Full Version : Workbench vise vs wonderdog

Peter Choi
03-08-2015, 5:20 PM
as some of you may know, I recently started working on my own little work space and tools for my place in nyc. After buying some clamps, saws, chisels, hand planes, and other small tools, it really added up fast. I have a design ready and plan on making a simple version of the roubo bench. About 3 in thick for the top. Im going to add two vices on the side to clamp wood. Like this http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-Tools-Woodworkers-2-inch-226361/dp/B0001LQY4E/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1425848470&sr=8-14&keywords=viseJust something cheap until I get more money and do more heavy duty work.I pretty much need a tail vise to hand plane wood. Anywhere from smaller cheese boards to dining tablesBut for a tail vise, I was thinking of getting the same vise, add some wood clamps, and put it on the tail and use bench dogs for longer pieces of wood. Or I was thinking of using a wonder dog. The wonder dog cost a little more but still affordable, but with the wonder dog I lose some real estate to work on and wondering if they're stable enough.Also any other opinions on vises that are more affordable?The verita tail end vises from LV look great but at 300 dollars, its also something I can't afford. There is this tail vise but no idea how to install it. http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=31136&cat=1,41637,41659 and still not too expensive.

Rich Riddle
03-08-2015, 7:13 PM
I plan on making a simple version of the roubo bench with about a 3 in thick top and two vices on the side to clamp wood, something cheap. I need a tail vise to hand plane wood ranging from smaller cheese boards to dining tables. For a tail vise, I was considering the same vise, adding some wood clamps, and put it on the tail and use bench dogs for longer pieces of wood. Or I was considering a wonder dog that cost a little more but is still affordable. With the wonder dog I lose some work-space and am wondering if they're stable enough. Also any other opinions on vises that are more affordable? The Veritas tail-end vises look great but I can't afford them. There is this less expensive tail vise but no indication on how to install it. http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=31136&cat=1,41637,41659.

If I understand you correctly, you plan to install two front facing vises and one tail vise. Is that correct? If so, that system works well. My garage work-bench has that system and will indeed offer you sufficient clamping for longer boards. Concerning the wonder-dogs instead of a tail vise, the wonder-dogs lack the holding strength of a vise. Here is a picture of a bench with two front facing vises if that is what you are considering.

glenn bradley
03-08-2015, 7:50 PM
I have a few vises standing by but, those darn Harbor Freight vises I bought years ago just keep meeting my needs. I use the same type of vise in front and at the tail. I also have an older version of the vise you show and used it on a rolling worktable. It is lighter duty but, very usable if you stay within its ability. I also have a wonder dog (maybe the wonder pup actually . . . yes, its the pup) and find it quite useful. It is not suited for large work but, I would not hesitate to grab a 8/4 x 8" x 60 board between it an a dog to plane length wise. side force should probably have additional support as the pup has little (about 2" of face) to resist turning on it's peg.

Jim Matthews
03-08-2015, 8:02 PM
A face vise has more utility.

My experience with 'pinch' clamping
as with the Wonderdogs isn't great.

They're prone to work loose, under heavy planing.
I prefer Glenn's method, or wedges.

I do like having bench dogs to use as stops.
Veritas makes a planing stop which
also fits into 3/4" dog holes.