PDA

View Full Version : What 15-Gauge Angled Finisher Nailer Do You Like...?

Bill Rodgers
03-08-2015, 4:37 PM
I'm in the market for a new finish nailer for around the home use. I have a bunch of trim to install now and would like it for some future tongue and groove paneling projects this summer so I'd like it to be as versatile as possible. I'd like a 15-gauge angled model that runs off a compressor. I found some old posts about what brands and models seemed well liked at the time but thought I'd post this for an update. I really like Bosch tools and can get one of these pretty reasonably priced right now but also read some bad reviews on them...

Bosch 15-Gauge 2-1/2" Angled Finish Nailer FNA250-15-RT

Which brands and models do you guys recommend for a 15ga angled gun?

Thanks!

John McClanahan
03-08-2015, 5:12 PM
Nails come in two different angles. Bostitch and one other, maybe Porter Cable use one angle, everyone else uses the other. Check which angle has the best assortment and price, then shop for a gun to match.

John

Jay Jolliffe
03-08-2015, 5:17 PM
I have a Senco & Bostitch. I like the Senco the best. I bought the Bostitch when the Senco was being repaired...

Martin Wasner
03-08-2015, 5:22 PM
I've got senco stuff. I like senco in the shop, but when I replace my trim gun I'll be getting a Hitachi. I like the valve on the side of the gun to dump suit to blow crap out of the way when trimming.

If you're doing tongue and groove, I like to staple it up. Put the staples through the tongue at an angle so the next piece hides the staple.

Jason Roehl
03-08-2015, 6:36 PM
I would say a 16-gauge nailer is more versatile than a 15. To me, 15s leave too big of a hole for general use. One of the only things I would use one for (have one, but haven't used it yet) is for setting pre-hung doors. 18-gauge for casing-to-jamb, 16-gauge for casing-to-wall and base-to-wall, and 15-gauge for jamb-to-framing (and I'll use it for face-nailing the first few rows of hardwood flooring where the floor nailer doesn't work).

Rich Riddle
03-08-2015, 6:36 PM
Bill,

I strongly agree on Bosch tools and usually purchase their cordless and hand-held power tools, along with their portable table saw. That said, after owning a Bosch 15 gauge angle nailer, I replaced it with a Hitachi NT65MA2. For some things other companies simply produce better products. For a 23 gauge, pick a Grex for the best. Strange thing is that there are no duplicates in the shop for each gauge, one Grex, one Hitachi, one Senco, etc. Depends on the gauge. Seems one producer doesn't make the best of all gauges.

Rich Riddle
03-08-2015, 6:39 PM
I would say a 16-gauge nailer is more versatile than a 15. To me, 15s leave too big of a hole for general use. One of the only things I would use one for (have one, but haven't used it yet) is for setting pre-hung doors. 18-gauge for casing-to-jamb, 16-gauge for casing-to-wall and base-to-wall, and 15-gauge for jamb-to-framing (and I'll use it for face-nailing the first few rows of hardwood flooring where the floor nailer doesn't work).
Some good advice. Some folks simply want the angled nailer for easier maneuvering in some difficult spots. The 15 gauge does leave quite an imprint though.

Jason Roehl
03-08-2015, 6:58 PM
Some good advice. Some folks simply want the angled nailer for easier maneuvering in some difficult spots. The 15 gauge does leave quite an imprint though.

Angled 16-gauge nailers are available. I want one, but I truthfully haven't found much (anything?) I couldn't do with my straight 16-gauge.

John TenEyck
03-08-2015, 7:05 PM
Can't speak for their 15 gage angled gun, but my 18 gage Bosch died an early death, less than 5000 nails. Replaced it with a Senco and have been completely happy.

John

Bruce Wrenn
03-08-2015, 8:37 PM
I have four of the older Senco's (SFN-1.) Never used anything else. But rebuild kits fast approach the price of a new gun.

Don Sundberg
03-08-2015, 8:55 PM
I'll third the Hitatchi. I like mine.

Tom M King
03-08-2015, 9:05 PM
For various reasons, I ended up with 3 different Senco versions of this gun, over three generations of models. They all still work fine. The oldest was used when I bought it in 1974.

Cary Falk
03-08-2015, 9:43 PM
I bought a reconditioned Hitachi and am happy with it. All of my other nailers are older Porter Cable.

Jim Andrew
03-08-2015, 9:51 PM
I have an old Senco sfn1, and 2 old Senco sfn2, all have problems, and I bought a new Hitachi. Hitachi nailers work rings around other brands. I have an old hitachi framing gun that has never been repaired, the old Sencos I had had to be repaired every house. Agree 16 gauge is big enough and less of a hole. Have an old Hitachi 16 gauge, straight, probably 15 years old, put new O rings in it once. It started bleeding air after I dropped it on the concrete floor.

Lee Reep
03-08-2015, 10:39 PM
"15ga. Finish Nailer" seems like an oxymoron to me. My first air nailer was a Porter-Cable, still have it, reliable as can be, but only shoots 1-1/4" nails, so definitely limited for some uses. I bought a Bostitch 18ga. finish nailer that shoots 2", and definitely more versatile than the PC. I'd like to have a slightly heavier gauge angled finish nailer, and 16ga. sounds about right. I have not looked for one, having a lot of other items on my wish lsit that are higher priority.

Regarding pin nailers, I wanted a Grex, but $200 or so was a big pill to swallow. I bought one of the Freeman pinners at Woodcraft on sale. Normally $59.99, and got 10% off. It is limited to 1", but I figured that would cover 90% of my needs for now. It has performed flawlessly -- no misfeeds or jams, sets the pin well. I bought the 10K qty. boxes of Grex nails for it. I suppose one of these days I might pop for one of the Grex 2" models. I like the green color, reminds me of Festool (color and price!).

Ole Anderson
03-09-2015, 12:00 AM
I went with the Bostitch 15 ga angled gun. My first gun was an older Bostitch 18 ga brad gun that only went 1 3/8", the newer 2" guns are much more versatile and would fit 90% of my needs. I also have a Bostitch 23 ga pinner, but haven't used it much.

Frank Martin
03-09-2015, 1:08 AM
I have a Hitachi. It is the earlier iteration before they started wearing fancy rubber outfit. Used it couple times, worked flawlessly.

Mark Blatter
03-09-2015, 3:38 AM
+1 on the Grex. I have been using one for about 7 years and never had a problem. The 'O' rings were dried out on it and didn't have time to repair it, so bought a Rigid at Borg just before Christmas. While it works OK, I tried putting up some trim around a hickory cabinet and it couldn't drive a 1" pin nail all the way into the wood. Out of 8 pin nails, none went in all the way. My Grex could have shot in a 1 1/2" nail without any difficulty.

Jason Roehl
03-09-2015, 7:49 AM
I went with the Bostitch 15 ga angled gun. My first gun was an older Bostitch 18 ga brad gun that only went 1 3/8", the newer 2" guns are much more versatile and would fit 90% of my needs. I also have a Bostitch 23 ga pinner, but haven't used it much.

I've used a few of the 2" 18-gauge, and didn't like them. The long, skinny brads are too likely to wander and curl, often blowing out 90º or 180º to the direction it's shot, and if you're shooting them through drywall, they don't hold base or case well (2.5" 16-gauge is magnitudes better for that).

Jim Dwight
03-09-2015, 9:34 AM
I have a 16 gauge and a 23 gauge Bostitch and they work great. I have a 18 gauge pneumatic by Porter Cable and it works OK - occasionally mis-fires. I have a HF flooring nailer and stapler. The flooring nailer works very well, the stapler is OK with 3/4 staples but won't reliably drive the 1 1/2 staples it is rated to drive.

I recently installed casing and base in about 800 square feet of new space in our house with nothing but a Ryobi 18V brad nailer (drives 2 inch brads). I tried it on the flooring but the little brads won't hold. The 16 gauge finish nailer was marginal. A 15 gauge would have been better for the flooring (first and final rows the flooring nailer won't do). I found 18 gauge brads to work fine for the casing and base, however. I mostly used low density MDF base although the last room was all finger jointed. Casing was all finger jointed. The little Ryobi worked well. I had an air compressor in the room but it was still handier to use a nailer without a hose attached.

The only other nailer I used was the pinner. I put mitered returns on the window stool with glue and a couple pins. I could have used the Ryobi but was worried about the small pieces splitting.

If you are set on a 15 gauge, I would get a Bostitch if your budget allows but would try a HF if you need to conserve funds. Their return policy is good and some of their stuff is worth a lot more than they get for it.

Curt Harms
03-09-2015, 10:18 AM
<snip>
If you are set on a 15 gauge, I would get a Bostitch if your budget allows but would try a HF if you need to conserve funds. Their return policy is good and some of their stuff is worth a lot more than they get for it.

HF guns seem to be YMMV in my experience . I bought an HF framing gun. It worked okay when driving flat but if toe nailing I had to run pressure at max (125 psi) and even then driving the heads flush was no sure thing. I returned it which was painless. I did recently buy a T50 upholstery stapler from Harbor Freight. That works pretty well.

Bill Rodgers
03-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Now I'm really second guessing the 15ga. I need it to install baseboard, door, and window trim here soon and would like it to install some tongue and groove paneling this summer.