PDA

View Full Version : Wadkin Bursgreen CP32 Panel saw

Chris Stormer
03-08-2015, 4:08 PM
Wanted to get an opinion a 1985 Wadkin Bursgreen CP32 Panel saw, would this machine be a good choice for medium volume production shop cutting up 4x8 sheets of both veneered and cdx ply?

Anything I should watch out for or ask about specifically?

Bill Adamsen
03-08-2015, 6:44 PM
Definitely worth looking at if you have the time ... especially if under power. I've never seen one, the other Wadkin machinery I've seen is very nicely built.

The CP32 is a 3.2m, tilting arbor, multi-speed machine (http://www.scosarg.com/leaflets/Wadkin/WadkinCP.pdf). The sliding table had a double roller system running on phenolic strips. Should the saw you're looking at have those, I'd want to make sure they were either in great condition or replaceable. Getting any and all replacement parts is an important consideration if remaining in production for business continuity is important for you.

A ten foot slider is a big saw. Lots of comparable Euro sliders from the 80s and 90s such as the Robland z3200, Griggio, Casolin, Maggi, Panhans, Altendorf, Martin. The list goes on and on. The more recent machines are likely to have improved features, possibly including electronic height and tilt. Many panel processors are dumping these as they step up to CNC. I did a quick search on some of the second-hand sites and there are many quality comparable affordable machines available. Moving a large, relatively sensitive 1500# machine, without doing damage or knocking it out of alignment is not for the faint of heart.

David Kumm
03-08-2015, 7:46 PM
Maybe jack will chime in here. Phenolic ways were a problem for older Alterdorfs too. OK if the saw was used regularly over it's entire slider length but if used repeatedly over a short area, they could wear and cause the slider to get jumpy. I always remove the sliding table when hauling so you need a friend for help. Bill is correct. Used sliders are a real bargain. There are basically two types of slider systems. Dumb bell rollers on round bars,( Altendorf and some others, ) and ball bearings ( Martin, SCMI others ). If the table works well and the fences and stops are all there, you should consider it. Used sliders go in the 3-6K range. Dave

Warren Lake
10-07-2016, 8:45 PM
hadnt heard Phenolic get lumpy but they wear more around the blade and if you were doing mitres it can affect the cut. When did Wadkin stop using Phenolic and start using steel? Altendorf was in the 90's but cant remember now