PDA

View Full Version : Time change

Steve Rozmiarek
03-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Why do we tolerate this biannual idiotic changing of time? I'm for adopting Arizona's disregard of daylight savings time nationwide, anyone else?

Jerry Bruette
03-08-2015, 11:28 AM
I was hoping the extra hour of daylight I just gained would help melt the snow quicker.:)

Myk Rian
03-08-2015, 11:47 AM
It's so when our legislators spend all day in the capital building doing nothing, they still have time for a round of golf.

Mel Fulks
03-08-2015, 1:09 PM
Yeah, pretending it is some other time is kind of silly. As educated as people are , they don't have the understanding of
some natural things that every culture on earth had for ......a long time. I keep one clock on EST ,one on local mean time,
and one on "pretend time" Our kitchen looks like the background of the early TV news shows.....which I guess is fitting ,
since that is the place from which I send these broadcasts...and now a word from our sponsor.

George Bokros
03-08-2015, 1:12 PM
That is enlightening Mel. It is what ever time you want it to be.

Wade Lippman
03-08-2015, 1:33 PM
It's so when our legislators spend all day in the capital building doing nothing, they still have time for a round of golf.

Eliminating it won't get any additional votes, but might antagonize someone. So our "legislators" will never get rid of it, no matter how destructive it is.
If only the NRA or AARP would come out against it...

Brian Elfert
03-08-2015, 7:14 PM
I am 100% dead set against getting rid of DST. I would be 100% for just staying on DST year round other than the pain it would cause for us computer folks who would have to patch everything to get rid of the biannual time change.

It stays light in July until nearly 10 pm with DST. I work a day shift in an office so it getting light at 3 am or 4 am wouldn't help me. People seem to be a lot more tolerant of noise at 8 or 9 pm at night when it is light out. (It might also be that kids are not in school when it stays light that late.)

Pat Barry
03-08-2015, 7:25 PM
Seriously, are we on DST now or off it? What is the purpose anymore except to annoy us?

Brian Elfert
03-08-2015, 7:29 PM
Seriously, are we on DST now or off it? What is the purpose anymore except to annoy us?

We are on DST now. The purpose is supposedly to reduce energy costs by having it be light outside for an extra hour in the evening when more people would use lights in the home.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-08-2015, 7:33 PM
I don't know if this is dst or not either, personally I don't much care which one we would stay with, just pick one.

I'd seriously considering voting for a candidate on a one issue platform if he were to be able to eliminate this craziness.

Mel Fulks
03-08-2015, 7:53 PM
The propaganda guys knew people would not tolerate being told to get up an hour earlier so they came up with "time
change".

Rod Sheridan
03-08-2015, 7:58 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Elfert;2387719]I am 100% dead set against getting rid of DST. I would be 100% for just staying on DST year round other than the pain it would cause for us computer folks who would have to patch everything to get rid of the biannual time change.

QUOTE]

Brian, simply change to GMT, it's what we use at work...........Rod.

Rod Sheridan
03-08-2015, 8:00 PM
Just go to GMT Mell and get rid of those pesky time zones as well..............Rod.

Pat Barry
03-08-2015, 8:07 PM
We are on DST now. The purpose is supposedly to reduce energy costs by having it be light outside for an extra hour in the evening when more people would use lights in the home.
LOL - That's politicians for ya.

Rich Riddle
03-08-2015, 8:11 PM
This "extended" daylight savings time came about in 2005. Supposedly it saves more energy but little empirical data supports that claim. As unpopular as it is, it's surprising we don't return to the April/October route instead of the March/November one. Legislation allows to revert to the older model.

Mel Fulks
03-08-2015, 8:31 PM
Time zones are needed for modern fast travel. They seldom are off more than a half hour from " local mean time". Where
they are an inconvenience to populous areas they are even zig zagged around them. Completely different from pretend time.

Myk Rian
03-08-2015, 8:54 PM
China got it right. One time zone for the entire country.:D

Jim Koepke
03-08-2015, 9:28 PM
I would be 100% for just staying on DST year round other than the pain it would cause for us computer folks who would have to patch everything to get rid of the biannual time change.

Turned on my computer this morning and as soon as it connected to the internet, the clock changed itself.

A couple of states are thinking of following Arizona and doing away with the time shift.

Recently someone suggested that since Daylight Savings Time is now more of the year than Standard Time we should just stay on DST.

There has been some correlation of more accidents and sick days from changing the clocks back and forth. There has been very little if any energy savings.

Supposedly it was done to help farmers, but it turns out farmers never wanted it. Who would want to be blamed for the inconvenience?

jtk

Rich Riddle
03-08-2015, 10:09 PM
When I was in Australia, those folks have 30 min time zones. Other countries do as well. What a pain.

Mel Fulks
03-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Benjamin Franklin has been blamed for it and a year or so back there was a new book about that. I did not read it, but I did read Franklin's puff piece which was really nothing but a jest about French society staying up late burning expensive
candles. I can't imagine that someone took that as a serious proposal. And remember he published an almanac.

Brian Elfert
03-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Turned on my computer this morning and as soon as it connected to the internet, the clock changed itself.

Daylight saving time is far more complicated with computers than that. My employer spent hundreds or thousands of hours patching applications and servers to handle the DST changes in 2007. We still have applications that can't handle the current DST rules because there are no fixes available.

Even if your computer got changed when it connected to the Internet someone would have reprogram that server out on the Internet to handle the changes.

Ole Anderson
03-08-2015, 11:52 PM
I am all for having more daylight in the evening than in the early morning while I still am in bed. I say stick with it, although the old April to October thing is fine with me.

Bert Kemp
03-09-2015, 12:07 AM
Farmers get up when the work needs to be done and go to bed when its done clocks have no meaning to farmers

A couple of states are thinking of following Arizona and doing away with the time shift.

Recently someone suggested that since Daylight Savings Time is now more of the year than Standard Time we should just stay on DST.

There has been some correlation of more accidents and sick days from changing the clocks back and forth. There has been very little if any energy savings.

Supposedly it was done to help farmers, but it turns out farmers never wanted it. Who would want to be blamed for the inconvenience?

jtk

Steve Rozmiarek
03-09-2015, 12:37 AM
This farmer hates it.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2015, 1:54 AM
Even if your computer got changed when it connected to the Internet someone would have reprogram that server out on the Internet to handle the changes.

I thought it was done by some code at http://www.time.gov/

If they got paid overtime to work into the middle of the night to press a button, great.

jtk

Richard McComas
03-09-2015, 3:27 AM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/rmccomas0043/1970740_10152113621213859_1832334931_n_zpsmwg39hsf .jpg

John Coloccia
03-09-2015, 4:09 AM
The whole concept of DST is more idiotic than I can even put into words. It even seems BACKWARDS to me. The days are already long in the summer. In the winter, when we could really use more light in the evenings, we go back to standard time. Huh??

Wade Lippman
03-09-2015, 7:47 AM
I don't care how they do it, if only they would do it a single way. It is the changes that do all the damage.

roger wiegand
03-09-2015, 7:53 AM
I only just got to the point of going to work with some daylight and now I'm back in the dark again. Hate it!

Pat Barry
03-09-2015, 8:18 AM
The whole concept of DST is more idiotic than I can even put into words. It even seems BACKWARDS to me. The days are already long in the summer. In the winter, when we could really use more light in the evenings, we go back to standard time. Huh??
+1 - Either that or government should create a sunshine bank at release some of it during the winter when we need it most

Jerome Stanek
03-09-2015, 8:42 AM
I know my parents wanted standard time year round because they had a greenhouse that grew tomatoes. The truck would pick up the days harvest at 3:00 pm whether it was DST or standard time but with standard they had an extra hour to harvest and pack the tomatoes. I think a lot of produce farmers would like to keep it standard time.

Pat Barry
03-09-2015, 9:39 AM
I know my parents wanted standard time year round because they had a greenhouse that grew tomatoes. The truck would pick up the days harvest at 3:00 pm whether it was DST or standard time but with standard they had an extra hour to harvest and pack the tomatoes. I think a lot of produce farmers would like to keep it standard time.
What the? I do not understand this at all. Its like this time change has warped the universe or something

Larry Browning
03-09-2015, 10:38 AM
To me DST is not for the farmers at all. In my mind, a farmer's work day is set by the sun, so a clock is relatively meaningless. DST is for the 8-5 people, giving them a extra hour of daylight after the workday is over. I personally love DST, and I wouldn't vote for any politician who tried to take it away for me.
Even though, getting up an hour earlier this morning was a little rough, but I will get used to it, and have that extra hour of daylight around the house in the evening.
Just saying. "No pancake is so thin that it doesn't have 2 sides."

terry mccammon
03-09-2015, 10:39 AM
For what it is worth, DST is explained in our area as something Mothers wish for as it makes a bit more daylight when children are going to school in the winter mornings. Whether Moms actually care or not is unknown to me. I grew up in Indiana which at that time did not engage in this sort of thing and was aware of no mashed children as a consequence. As an aside, my Grandmother was convinced that if you did not set your clock to read 12:00 at high noon where you lived then you were not on "God's Time" and much evil would ensue. That might explain a lot, who knows.

Larry Browning
03-09-2015, 10:47 AM
I think going back to std time in the winter has more to do with the mornings than the evenings. If DST were year round, kids would be going to school in the dark, it would not get light til after 8:00am. So it makes perfect since to me.

Jerome Stanek
03-09-2015, 11:04 AM
What the? I do not understand this at all. Its like this time change has warped the universe or something

If you can start picking at 6:00 am instead of 7:00 am you get 1 hour more time to process the crop. standard time the sun comes up 1 hour earlier. Now do you understand.

Jerome Stanek
03-09-2015, 11:08 AM
For what it is worth, DST is explained in our area as something Mothers wish for as it makes a bit more daylight when children are going to school in the winter mornings. Whether Moms actually care or not is unknown to me. I grew up in Indiana which at that time did not engage in this sort of thing and was aware of no mashed children as a consequence. As an aside, my Grandmother was convinced that if you did not set your clock to read 12:00 at high noon where you lived then you were not on "God's Time" and much evil would ensue. That might explain a lot, who knows.

Actually it is darker in the morning with DST than standard time when kids are going to school and doesn't get dark till after they come home either way. So it would be more dangerous with DST.

Pat Barry
03-09-2015, 11:52 AM
If you can start picking at 6:00 am instead of 7:00 am you get 1 hour more time to process the crop. standard time the sun comes up 1 hour earlier. Now do you understand.
Just get up with the sun. I agree with the point above that its the city folk that worry about the time because of their jobs. Farmers likewise should wake when they need to.

Brian Elfert
03-09-2015, 12:28 PM
I thought it was done by some code at http://www.time.gov/

Computer use UTC (AKA GMT) time as their base for time. Computers determine when to change from DST to standard time based on config files that list what date to change based on the time zone the computer is configured for. UTC or GMT never changes. Only the offset from UTC changes. All of the atomic clocks broadcast time in UTC.

The config files for DST on every computer have to be changed. Some applications like Java have their config files for DST.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2015, 1:24 PM
The hardest clock for me to change is the one on my wife's clock radio. Almost had to call my grandson. Even the microwave clock is simpler.

jtk

Harold Burrell
03-09-2015, 3:41 PM
I am getting to (almost) look forward to this discussion every year at this time for 2 reasons:

1. It tells me Spring is almost here.

2. It is good for me to be reminded of just how prone to complaining and discontentment we people can be...even over stuff that doesn't really matter. ;)

Larry Browning
03-09-2015, 3:59 PM
I am getting to (almost) look forward to this discussion every year at this time for 2 reasons:

1. It tells me Spring is almost here.

2. It is good for me to be reminded of just how prone to complaining and discontentment we people can be...even over stuff that doesn't really matter. ;)

+1 to both points!

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-09-2015, 7:07 PM
John Oliver's Last Week Tonight show does a good job explaining it with their style of humor.

http://youtu.be/br0NW9ufUUw

What I dislike most about DST change is that I witness far more wildlife casualties while there is a sudden increase in traffic in their previously calmer morning road crossing.

Mel Fulks
03-09-2015, 8:23 PM
Have to disagree with Harold on two points. Spring started February 4. I miss watching the days get longer without having to remember what others are pretending.

Rod Sheridan
03-09-2015, 8:35 PM
Time zones are needed for modern fast travel. They seldom are off more than a half hour from " local mean time". Where
they are an inconvenience to populous areas they are even zig zagged around them. Completely different from pretend time.

Why do we need time zones, why not the same time the world over?

Regards, Rod.

John Coloccia
03-09-2015, 9:38 PM
Why do we need time zones, why not the same time the world over?

Regards, Rod.

Pilots always work off UTC. It takes a LITTLE bit of getting used to, but not much.