PDA

View Full Version : Sunday bowl project ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-01-2003, 2:56 PM
Here's a bowl I completed today out of figured maple. It's a shallow bowl (9 1/2 X 1 1/2), but the grain came out beautifully. A couple coats of Danish Oil and here it is. Fun to do, quick and easy and it'll look good on SWMBO's maple table. Thanks for looking and hope you're having fun, too.

Bobby Hatfield
06-01-2003, 4:13 PM
Who you foolin Ron ? That is beautiful work and no way quick and easy ! How you on table legs, I need four country pine legs for a country pine table.

Ken Wright
06-01-2003, 6:08 PM
you did a fine job on that one .... should look great!!!

Kevin Gerstenecker
06-01-2003, 6:18 PM
Cool bowl Ron! I really like the bottom and edge detail, and the sleek design is very nice. It nevers ceases to amaze me the cool things the turners crank out. I just KNOW the turning bug is gonna find me one of these days. Just what SWMBO wants to hear, I'm sure! Thanks for sharing the Photo Ron......... I'm looking forward to more turnings in the near future too. ;)

Jim Young
06-01-2003, 6:24 PM
Nice work Ron. I got to try me one of them shallow bowls.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-01-2003, 7:37 PM
Bobby ... "How you on table legs, I need four country pine legs for a country pine table." I've only done a couple sets of table legs, nothing fancy. One was a table for my sister and one table for a friend at work's hunting lodge. There are some folks on here that are a lot more talented than I am. I'm working on that, though.

Actually, this bowl only took 1.5 hours from start to finish, with sanding taking half of that time. The turning was done quickly and I really enjoyed it. This blank was already dry and cut in a circle, so I didn't have much roughing to do. I'm trying to get a lot more of my green wood (cherry, walnut and maple) cut into rough blanks so I can thow them on the lathe without a lot of tough roughing with bark and all on them.

Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate your feedback.

Joe Tonich
06-01-2003, 8:06 PM
Thats a nice bowl! Only 1 1/2hrs. EH? It takes me that long to get something to look like it may actually BE something! :D Keep posting pic's, maybe MINE will look like them one of these days!

Joe

Bill Grumbine
06-03-2003, 5:17 PM
Hi Ron

Very nice bowl! Of all the shapes and of all the pieces you have posted, I think this one is your best to date. Of course, this is also one of my favorite shapes, but even so, you have done a very nice job.

Bill

Jennifer@Indy.USA
06-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Hi Ron,

I love the shape of this bowl. Vey nice......and the rings add a nice touch too.

Lovely.

Jennifer