PDA

View Full Version : PM 44 Bandsaw question/problem

Neil Gaskin
03-07-2015, 8:33 PM
So, we bought a lightly used PM bandsaw from an auction. It came from a school district and probably has seen very limited use.

BUT, duirng transport the table mount and one of the trunions broke as well as the tensioning screw. As it turns out, the tension screw is available and the trunion and mounting bracket are not.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It is likely we will not need to bevel the table so I'm considering fabricating a bracket that doesnt bevel or ordering something from a similiar sized bandsaw and modifying it to work.

As it stands it's a boat anchor.

So is it worth trying to fix this, is there an easy fix, or should I scrap it?

Jeff Bartley
03-08-2015, 8:10 AM
Don't scrap it whatever you do! I'm sure there is a way to repair it, how about a picture of the damage and may be someone can help? I think the right person could weld it but I don't personally have any experience with welding cast iron.

Carroll Courtney
03-08-2015, 8:22 AM
I did a search and noting pops up,even on ebay.Was going to find a cut sheet then do a search using the parts numbers.If its one of the newer models(china or japan) then I would think parts are out there.But if its one of the older models such as the 140,141,143 then you make have problems which means it will be a hit & miss trying to find parts.If your a patient person then keep your eyes on ebay,if not and you need a BS now then maybe your saw can become a donor.I have couple of the older PM's to me they are worth the wait.Please do post some pics maybe someone here can come up with a suggestions on how to fabricate the repairs as your said a tilting table is not needed.----Carroll

Bradley Gray
03-08-2015, 8:59 AM
I once had a table saw trunion repaired by a machinist friend. He drilled and tapped and rejoined the break with allen head screws. Worked fine until I sold the saw about 15 years later

Bill Adamsen
03-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Perfectly usable cast iron repairs can be done with brazing and other techniques by any qualified and competent welder. The machine shown in the photos works perfectly and I use it all the time and it's subjected to fair amount of heavy use. The repair appears to have been in place for 30+ years.

Neil Gaskin
03-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Perfectly usable cast iron repairs can be done with brazing and other techniques by any qualified and competent welder. The machine shown in the photos works perfectly and I use it all the time and it's subjected to fair amount of heavy use. The repair appears to have been in place for 30+ years.

I'll post some pictures when I get back to the shop. Unfortunately I believe this is beyond brazing, it's broke into a number of pieces.

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't think to check e-bay.

I have called a few machine repair and Powermatic dealers. Best I can tell the saw built in 02.

Thanks, Neil

James Nugnes
03-08-2015, 11:40 AM
I can't be sure on this but didn't this saw have a model in Jet that was basically the same saw with PM adding some features to it? If so, the core saw should be the same with things like the trunnions and other "heavy metal" the same. Might be worth seeing if the same or almost same saw was being marketed under a different brand with parts available that way.

Rich Riddle
03-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Repair is the only option. The trunnion is the weak spot on Powermatic 14" saws. I spent two years looking for one, two years. And it was a dedicated search. Finally found another auction saw with different problems and bought it for the trunnion. Then sold the excess parts. A welding instructor did "cold weld" the original to where it wasn't bad, but it was far less than perfect. That allowed the bandsaw to work until the other one materialized. Good luck. There is not much information concerning your model. How does it compare to the 141/143 models?

M Toupin
03-09-2015, 8:01 AM
The PM44 appears to be a clone of the General International 90-100. I'd get my hands on some parts diagrams and compare, If they looked identical I'd be inclined to buy one and try it. The Grizzly G0457 & G0778 are also similar and might be a parts option too.

Mike