PDA

View Full Version : Typing or dictating?

David Ragan
03-07-2015, 2:35 PM
While under the influence of meds last week, i wondered how do folks have time to post all this? I thought- maybe my question will offend some, so sleep on it
Now after mostly scrolling thru the huge thread on hardness of saw blades that got attention because of David Weavers departure........somebody suggested that folks do more ww and less posting

So......i have to ask do you all really type all that, or use something like Dragon-which if u annunciatw carefuly does a decent job

i sincerely appreciate the sharing and group think/collaboration that we have
Aint the internet great?

Jim Koepke
03-07-2015, 3:09 PM
Funny that you should bring this up. It wasn't seen until after my response to the "self taught" post.

In school I never took a typing class. It wasn't until college that a book was bought to help me do better with an old portable Corona typewriter.

When computers came along there were typing programs to help one learn to type better.

Still not being a world class typist, it isn't that time consuming to write a post during nonworking hours.

jtk

Matt Day
03-07-2015, 3:51 PM
I use the speech to text on my iPhone A LOT. It saves a lot of time and allows me to add detail I might not if I'm typing, which is kind of ironic because I'm typing this with my thumbs on my phone.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-07-2015, 4:05 PM
I can type faster than most people can talk. When I take notes on conference calls (like if a peer is off work and asks me to take notes) I type every word. I'm around 75 words per minute on a good keyboard. I blame my guitar playing and failing history in high school. Guitar playing limbers up the fingers. Failing history required me to need 1/2 credit to graduate. Hello typing class.

Brian Henderson
03-07-2015, 6:16 PM
I type absurdly fast and always have. I type faster than I can think sometimes, which might explain some things. :)

Actually, last time I was tested, I was somewhere around 125wpm, but that was years ago.

Jim Becker
03-07-2015, 8:17 PM
I type relatively quickly and accurately...and I've never taken a formal typing course. The only time I use speech to text is in the car...and I don't "do forums" there... ;)

Steve Rozmiarek
03-07-2015, 8:37 PM
I type, I used to be very slow, but practice is good, and I'm getting pretty quick now. Not anything like 125 words per minute, holy cow! Is there any voice recognition software that actually works? Especially for the pretty specific vocabulary we use here?

Brian Henderson
03-07-2015, 9:02 PM
I type relatively quickly and accurately...and I've never taken a formal typing course. The only time I use speech to text is in the car...and I don't "do forums" there... ;)

The only typing course I ever took was in high school, everything else is self taught. In fact, I think most of my speed comes from being an active member of a really busy IRC community years ago, where you'd have literally hundreds of people in the channel and you had to type really, really fast to keep up with a dozen conversations at once. I tried Dragon NaturallySpeaking once, it just doesn't move fast enough for me, I can type far, far faster than it can interpret speech and translate it to text.

Brian Henderson
03-07-2015, 9:06 PM
I type, I used to be very slow, but practice is good, and I'm getting pretty quick now. Not anything like 125 words per minute, holy cow! Is there any voice recognition software that actually works? Especially for the pretty specific vocabulary we use here?

Nope. You have to speak in a very slow, precise manner and it doesn't pick up unusual vocabulary well. I found I had to slow way down to use it, that's why I ended up getting rid of it.

Matt Day
03-07-2015, 9:14 PM
The apple software (Siri) is pretty good, not great but does the job. It doesn't need to learn your voice or anything, which is probably has something to do with why it's not really great.

My wife is a physician and uses a medical version of Dragon to do her notes, and holy crap she talks really fast and says some ridiculous medical speak and its gets it all. She did have to go through a learning procedure when she first started using it.

Beau Cassidy
03-07-2015, 9:31 PM
I use medical dragon as well. I am currently on version 12.something. It is awesome. I started with version 7 and it was a struggle. You do have to train it some. It has different dialects to pick from. For the little bit of posting I do I just type.

Tom Stenzel
03-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Typing it here.

Since my chemo I lost feeling in the pinkie of my left hand so my ring finger has to cover both the six S and A letters. Wasn't too fast before, a measly 45 WPM but that's in the toilet now.

-Tom

David Ragan
03-09-2015, 6:53 PM
125 wpm.... Awesome

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2015, 6:57 PM
I took a typing course in HS and it has turned out to be one of the most useful classes I have ever taken.

Brian Henderson
03-09-2015, 7:52 PM
125 wpm.... Awesome

The funny thing is, my oldest daughter, who has never had a typing class in her life, probably types faster than that. Her fingers are a blur.