PDA

View Full Version : A Gaggle of Pens

Steve Doerr
03-07-2015, 10:55 AM
When the tornado came through Joplin in 2011 it destroyed one of our hospitals. This month the Mercy Health Systems is celebrating the grand opening of its brand new hospital. The hospital commissioned me to make 150 pens to be given as a gifts to some of the donors that have contributed to the construction of the new hospital. Attached is a picture of some of the pens that I made. The wood is oak and came from the site of where the new hospital was built.

Paul Williams
03-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Good job Steve. Using wood from the site will mean something to many of the recipients. I enjoyed the three large pen commissions that I have done, but ould not want to turn 150 very often.

Marty Tippin
03-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Very nice and definitely a meaningful gift for those involved.

Did you do the laser engraving yourself? I've wanted to engrave some Masonic inlay pens but wasn't where or how to get it done

Randy Red Bemont
03-07-2015, 1:16 PM
Great gifts and a great job on turning that many pens. I like that there is a little history with them.

Red

daryl moses
03-07-2015, 5:37 PM
Great looking pens, i'm sure they will have a lot of meaning to the recipients.

Steve Doerr
03-07-2015, 9:52 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Paul--You're right, 150 can really get you down. Almost thought about titling this "A Murder of Pens," as what they call a bunch of crows.

Marty--I get my engraving done at our local vocational school. They have a really nice laser engraver and I pay them $1 for each pen.