View Full Version : Just playing around with "Whitewood"

steven c newman
03-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Been on Medical Leave for over a month now, getting antsy to do....something..
Turned a few legs, blanks were ripped from a Lowes 2 x 4

Cut some 1 x 6 down for a few aprons to connect the legs
And did a test fit. Tenons were made with a Wards #78, and trimmed a bit with a dovetail saw and a chisel
The top and bottom edges were rounded over with..not a router, but a Buck Brothers block plane

Marking gauge to mark for the mortise on the legs
And build a fixture on the bench to keep the "target" from moving
Mortise chisel powered by a 16oz claw hammer that was in the area at the time, and a 1" wide chisel to clean up the side walls. Still have to build the drawer support structure, and build a drawer. Got plenty of time right now..

I do have a top, with bread board ends, awaiting the time to attach to the completed table.
Just Lowes "Whitewood" That stretcher was ripped from a 1x6, and a small plane was used to get rid of the saw marks
Maybe later today, I might "float" down to the shop, and make more saw dust? :D

steven c newman
03-07-2015, 6:44 PM
Did a little more playing around today, mainly to connect the front two legs
Lot of saw and chisel stuff today. Dry fit the base
then plopped the top on it to see what it is starting to look like
Maybe I might get busy later, and glue this thing together? Then I might cobble a drawer to fit it? $23 worth of "whitewood"

Bill Houghton
03-07-2015, 7:16 PM
Just be careful not to show us something that your doctor says you shouldn't be doing!!

Frederick Skelly
03-07-2015, 9:39 PM
Nice little table. Hope you get back to work soon. I know what a drag it can be to be stuck at home.
Fred

Winton Applegate
03-08-2015, 3:22 AM
NICE !

Glad some body is doing some woodworking around here.

I know what a drag it can be to be stuck at home.
Yah ! I hate that !
Oh . . . wait . . . I'm lying again. :o

steven c newman
03-08-2015, 8:04 PM
Weelll, I did a bit of glue ups tonight
base all clamped up. bread board ends fitted
Even made a Dutchman Patch to repair an oooops.
Seems I cut a joint....on the wrong face of the leg. Laid out a stretcher
this will act as both a kicker to keep the drawer from tipping down, it will also be a place to attach the top. Will try to cut the dovetails AFTER the glue has cured....

Mike williams54
03-08-2015, 8:41 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but isn't white wood just Douglas fir? I thought I heard that somewhere. And why do they call it that?

steven c newman
03-08-2015, 8:55 PM
Spruce, Pine, or DF, whatever is the cheapest the store can buy. All else they have to label as is. The white wood is...just is. The higher grade stuff they can charge more for, too.

Curt Harms
03-09-2015, 9:41 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but isn't white wood just Douglas fir? I thought I heard that somewhere. And why do they call it that?

It may depend on which end of the country you're on. I sorta thought Doug Fir was more common in the west, SPF (Spruce Pine Fir not necessarily Doug Fir) in the east.

Jim Davis
03-10-2015, 10:46 AM
It may depend on which end of the country you're on. I sorta thought Doug Fir was more common in the west, SPF (Spruce Pine Fir not necessarily Doug Fir) in the east.

That's been my experience. I lived in the west for 27 years and the east for 32. Now I'm in the middle and white wood is usually spruce.

I like this project, except for the reference to the claw hammer... Better a scrap of wood for a mallet.

Chris Hachet
03-10-2015, 10:49 AM
That's been my experience. I lived in the west for 27 years and the east for 32. Now I'm in the middle and white wood is usually spruce.

I like this project, except for the reference to the claw hammer... Better a scrap of wood for a mallet.

I like it also. I am going to build the same table in Cherry as one of my next woodworking projects.

Chris

Brian Holcombe
03-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Coming along nicely Steve!

I actually worked in pine this morning, it's refreshingly easy to work.

Chris Hachet
03-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Coming along nicely Steve!

I actually worked in pine this morning, it's refreshingly easy to work.

Yes it is!

steven c newman
03-10-2015, 8:37 PM
Well played around a little bit today and, at this rate, I MIGHT have it ready for finish by the weekend...maybe

Set the top up on edge, and clamped it in place. Ran a couple planes along each edge to flush them up with the bread board ends, at least for now.
A Stanley #31 then a Sargent #414. That Miller falls Block plane worked on champfering the edges a bit. Worked nicely on the end grain, too.
Got both front and back done, removed the top from the bench. Clamped the base to the bench for a little bit of saw & Chisel work
Took a bit of chopping, but two dovetail sockets finally emerged from the Pine. Glued up and clamped for the night..
This will act as a kicker, to keep the drawer from tipping down. I can also add a screw in a slot, right in the middle, to help attach the top.
While the base was on the bench where I could work on it, marked a blank to size for the drawer front. Then I can start milling drawer parts. Off cuts from ripping to width can be used to make a set of drawer runners for the drawer to slide around on. Don't want to waste anything...

steven c newman
03-13-2015, 3:59 PM
Might try to get this done this weekend. Finally back to work.....for three weeks, then surgery on the right ear.. Mastoidectomy. May be a while after that before anything else will get done...

Top is now attached to the base. Drawer front is now sized. Have the two sides marked out, awaiting some saw work. Table seems to be about the right height for a chair to be used with it. May have to research chair making while sitting around...

Pat Barry
03-13-2015, 5:25 PM
Might try to get this done this weekend. Finally back to work.....for three weeks, then surgery on the right ear.. Mastoidectomy. May be a while after that before anything else will get done...

Top is now attached to the base. Drawer front is now sized. Have the two sides marked out, awaiting some saw work. Table seems to be about the right height for a chair to be used with it. May have to research chair making while sitting around...
Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery steven and I sure hope it all goes well for you. I had to google Mastoidectomy. It sounds like there is quite a range of seriousness with this. Hope yours is on the better end of this range.

Mel Fulks
03-13-2015, 5:42 PM
Steven,I like the lightness and lines of the table. Small beefy tables always seem too institutional to me. I'll have to google
too, I've been thinking that surgery was an extinct hairy elephant!

steven c newman
03-15-2015, 1:30 AM
Top is now attached to the base
Used a couple saws to size the sides of a drawer
Crosscut, then a plane to make the end grian look better

then make a knife wall
Fancy marking knife. and stand-in for a "true" rip saw
Then plane the sawn edges to fit in the drawer opening.
later, clamped the front and sides up, and planed the bottom edges level with each other
I think that is enough fun for one evening....

steven c newman
03-16-2015, 1:10 AM
Well, it is now no longer "white wood", as the first coat of a Witch's Brew is on.
Two colours of stain, blended into a bit of that smelly BLO. Hey, the drawer even works!

steven c newman
03-16-2015, 7:46 PM
Final coat of finish, straight BLO, is now on, and wiped down. Posted the Project over in the Projects Forum, but, here is a tease..
Sat it outside, to air our a bit. BLO is very SMELLY!
Took a little longer than Norm would.....Abram that is...

Reinis Kanders
03-16-2015, 8:08 PM
Have you tried garnet shellac? I tried some on pine shelves I made for my work area and it looked pretty good and easier to work with than oil. Similar color to yours, a bit darker, more even coverage. I have little kids so cannot use the stinky stuff around house, but shellac evaporates fast enough on my unheated porch.

steven c newman
03-20-2015, 3:02 PM
Seems a couple in the wife's church group will need a few things, since their house burned down. Table may be donated to them. It is at least a start...

Reinis Kanders
03-20-2015, 9:40 PM
That's nice of you.

Seems a couple in the wife's church group will need a few things, since their house burned down. Table may be donated to them. It is at least a start...