PDA

View Full Version : wood identification

Barry McFadden
03-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone....I'm new here and really looking forward to getting some advice and tips here and possibly even giving some...I brought some wood back from Florida a few years ago and recently turned some of it. I really like the grain and the different colors but I don't know what kind of wood it is. It is VERY hard compared to birch or maple. I was hoping someone on this forum could identify it for me.....thanks.. (hope I did it correctly so the pics are visible!)

charlie knighton
03-07-2015, 10:09 PM
I do not recognize the wood, that is the pith in the center of bowl isn't it.......anyway welcome to the board
its a very nice bowl, how large is it?

Barry McFadden
03-08-2015, 10:27 AM
I do not recognize the wood, that is the pith in the center of bowl isn't it.......anyway welcome to the board
its a very nice bowl, how large is it?

Thanks Charlie.....yes the pith is very chocolate in color....I brought the wood back from Sarasota, Florida so I'm guessing it's local wood, I brought back a couple of 1 foot stumps.. the bowl is about 11 inches across...thanks for your interest..

Alec Moseley
03-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Possibly pecan

Thom Sturgill
03-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Probably Florida Rosewood or maybe Acacia, but I'd bet on rosewood.

This was turned several years ago.

Barry McFadden
03-09-2015, 2:02 PM
Thanks guys for the info....Thom....it sure does look like Florida Rosewood....thanks again