PDA

View Full Version : Nova retro fit for infindity chucks

jeff oldham
03-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Does anyone know if the retro fit kit that Nova has for their chucks work on a baracuda chuck;;thank you

Ralph Lindberg
03-07-2015, 10:35 AM
I haven't tried, but just visualizing how the retro kit works, I doubt it.

Thom Sturgill
03-07-2015, 10:38 AM
The retrofit ket requires removing the scroll pieces that the jaws fit to That gear and slot would have to fit the barracuda, which I really doubt. Also the pieces that screw onto the base of the jaws would not fit the barracuda jaws - they do not exchange with the nova jaws.
I do have both nova and barracuda chucks.

jeff oldham
03-07-2015, 2:31 PM
Which do you prefer;;;the barcuda or Nova;;;I don't think you can get the Cole jaws to fit the infinity

Thom Sturgill
03-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Nova hands down. Nova sells cole jaws so the retro-fit kit should work

jeff oldham
03-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Well I purchased the infindy chuck but it does weigh more than the baracuda and I have the rocking mini lathe; ;it has 3900 rpm now;;but was thinking about the variable speed add on kit but it says it will cut your rpm down to 3300;;;didn't actually know if I should change it out since there was a difference in weigh in the chucks;;;;;

jeff oldham
03-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Rikon;;;mini lathe;;;; excuse me

James Combs
03-08-2015, 4:29 PM
Well I purchased the infindy chuck but it does weigh more than the baracuda and I have the rocking mini lathe; ;it has 3900 rpm now;;but was thinking about the variable speed add on kit but it says it will cut your rpm down to 3300;;;didn't actually know if I should change it out since there was a difference in weigh in the chucks;;;;;
WOW, I rarely turn at more then 2K especially using a chuck. I may be mistaken and i am sure someone will correct me, I don't have my Nova chuck manual handy but I believe the mfr maximum suggested RPM rating for it is less then 1000rpm. Besides most things you need a chuck for such as bowls even small ones I would be afraid to turn them much faster then the high teens. Yes you can turn things as small as pens in a chuck but I would be afraid the chuck might fly apart at anything more then 2K.

Thom Sturgill
03-08-2015, 9:40 PM
WOW, I rarely turn at more then 2K especially using a chuck. I may be mistaken and i am sure someone will correct me, I don't have my Nova chuck manual handy but I believe the mfr maximum suggested RPM rating for it is less then 1000rpm. Besides most things you need a chuck for such as bowls even small ones I would be afraid to turn them much faster then the high teens. Yes you can turn things as small as pens in a chuck but I would be afraid the chuck might fly apart at anything more then 2K.
You are quite correct James. In fact the speed ratings are per jaw set and are ridiculously low. Top speed is 1440rpm for the 25mm and pin jaws in contracting mode and 1020 for the 50mm. 684 rpm for most jaws. I have used them at full speed, 3K rpm, for finials and my doll house stuff though I use collet chucks for most of that when I can.