PDA

View Full Version : Health concerns

Marc Caron
03-07-2015, 5:43 AM
Greetings everyone! First post here.

The fumes of my laser are absorbed by a ventilation unit (Quatro) connecting to the laser. Despite that there is still a faint burnt wood smell. I'm worried that if I cut HDF or Acrylic this could pose a threat to my health. Do you use additional ventilation equipment?

Thank you in advance for your help. ;-)

Marc

Henri Sallinen
03-07-2015, 6:37 AM
The smell is something that can't be avoided. You can minimize it by leaving the machine be for a while after cutting/engraving and let the ventilation unit suck any left fumes. After a small while of ventilating the only smell you get is the smell that is attached to the lasered items. This can't be avoided. If you are worried about the smell that the items have, you can place them in a well ventilated area for a few days after lasering them. This should help with the smell on the items.

- Henri

Marc Caron
03-07-2015, 7:26 AM
The smell is something that can't be avoided. You can minimize it by leaving the machine be for a while after cutting/engraving and let the ventilation unit suck any left fumes. After a small while of ventilating the only smell you get is the smell that is attached to the lasered items. This can't be avoided. If you are worried about the smell that the items have, you can place them in a well ventilated area for a few days after lasering them. This should help with the smell on the items.

- Henri

I will try that. Thank you for the information. ;-)

Rich Harman
03-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Are you sure that your filtration unit is up to the task, and if so, has it been maintained properly? I'm assuming since you said "absorbed" that the ventilation unit is exhausting into your workspace and not outdoors.

Marc Caron
03-08-2015, 8:14 AM
Are you sure that your filtration unit is up to the task, and if so, has it been maintained properly? I'm assuming since you said "absorbed" that the ventilation unit is exhausting into your workspace and not outdoors.

You are correct. The ventilation was lent to me. It's not new. Maybe it as not been cleaned in a while.
Thanks for the tip :)

Marc

Tony Lenkic
03-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Marc,

I also have a Quatro 626 unit and it work great. I have it exhausting in same room and there is not much smell coming from the unit at all.
When cutting engraving plastic smell is lingering inside the engraver and plastic that was cut not from extractor unit at all.
If you are really do not want to risk health issues get yourself a mask like the one they use in paint booths.

Lee DeRaud
03-08-2015, 7:39 PM
The smell is something that can't be avoided. You can minimize it by leaving the machine be for a while after cutting/engraving and let the ventilation unit suck any left fumes. After a small while of ventilating the only smell you get is the smell that is attached to the lasered items. This can't be avoided.There is also residue on the honeycomb cutting table (or whatever your machine uses for that purpose)...
the ventilation system really can't help with that.

Henri Sallinen
03-09-2015, 4:38 AM
There is also residue on the honeycomb cutting table (or whatever your machine uses for that purpose)...
the ventilation system really can't help with that.

This is also true. The honeycomb does have a strong odor that lingers.