PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on getting heavy TS onto mobile base

Michael Ballent
08-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Say you are receiving a heavy TS and you need to get onto a mobile base. The saw will arrive on a pallet but you can only get 2 other guys to muscle it around. How would you recommend getting the TS onto the tablesaw. BTW before you put anything on the saw it already weighs 530 lbs. Completion of the gloat will begin after the saw is fully assembled. I know of another Creeker that is in the same situation and getting his saw today as well, so both of us are eagerly waiting on our deliveries :D

Dan Oliphant
08-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Michael,

Most engine hoists are rated at 500 pounds lifting capacity (full extension). If you are only going to lift the saw high enough to place the mobile base under it, with careful hoisting, you should be all right. I had to rent a shop fork lift to move my Bridgewood saw into place because I did the work myself.

Bill Lewis
08-01-2005, 12:27 PM
It'd help if we knew what kind of saw.

For instance, I put my Unisaw on the mobil base myself, but that was before I assembled the saw. However, If you're talking about a big combo unit...that's another story.

Andrew Ault
08-01-2005, 12:28 PM
I recently purchased a used Delta Unisaw with 52" Beisemeyer fence and mobile base. (I was fortunate to get a great price on the saw I've always wanted!) I was apprehensive about the weight of the thing and whether I could safely move it. I asked for advice here and received some great input that really helped my confidence, etc.

My saw is not as heavy as your saw, but some of the experience we had might be helpful. Since your saw will be on a pallet I think with three men you will be able to slide the saw off the pallet and onto your mobile base.

I had one friend help me get the Unisaw off my pickup and directly onto the mobile base. It was much easier than I thought it might be. I had only removed one of the cast iron wings so it would easily fit in my truck, so the saw was fairly heavy, though not 500 lbs. When I loaded the saw onto my truck I leaned it against a 2' x 4' sheet of 3/8" ply and then slid the ply and saw as a unit into the truck. To unload it my friend and I put the mobile base in place and casefully slid the saw and plywood off the back and tilted it into the base. It was easy to control.

I've been warned not to lift heavy tools by the cast iron wings, so we were careful about that.

Since then I've removed the rust from the saw and cleaned and assembled it. I'm still dinking with minor adjustments to get everything true and flat. Next, I plan to convert the extension table into a router table. I've found a really, really used great router fence for a great price (I feel so lucky lately, where's my bad luck gone???) and will be purchasing a router for this purpose.

I'm sure that you are excited about your great new tool! I hope it brings you great pleasure and does everything that you want it to.

Doug Shepard
08-01-2005, 12:30 PM
There are probably better ways, but here's how I did it with a PM66 - your mileage may vary. It was a bit of work but only took 2 people about 10 minutes once we had a plan in place. I set the mobile base to the side of the pallet and locked the wheels down so it wouldn't roll. I took some scrap 2x6's and ripped them so that when placed on the floor they were exactly even with the top of the pallet. I screwed two pieces together to stop any wobble and cut them so that they fit down inside the mobile base - one on each side. Slid the saw off the pallet onto the scrap blocks. Then raised the mobile base up around the saw cabinet from below and wedged it in place with more scrap. Then a piece a pipe about 6' and another scrap block for a pivot was used to lever up one side (the saw and MB together) while the other person pulled out the wood. Once that side was lowered to the floor, the same thing was repeated on the other side.
If you know someone with an engine block hoist you can borrow, you could probably do it without even breaking a sweat.

Adrian Rogers
08-01-2005, 12:30 PM
1. How are you getting it off the truck? If it's a lift gate, then nevermind, if it's a forklift or something, then just wrap a strap around the table and pick it up with the forklift.

2. Me and one other guy moved a Grizzly 12" saw onto it's mobile base (from a pallet). According to grizzly, the whole saw weighs 615lbs, but we didn't have the fence or wings assembled, so it was something less than that. It was heavy, but we moved it off the pallet and onto the mobile base which as lower than the pallet. That's the ticket, it we'd had to move the saw from the floor to the mobile base, I don't know if we could have done it. I guess my advice here is to disassemble the fence and wings to lower the weight.

3. Do you have anything overhead that you could hang a come-along from to lift the saw while you roll the mobile base under it?

-Adrian

Adrian Rogers
08-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Oh yeah, on the unisaw that I just got, it's light enough for two people to easily sit on a mobile base without the fence & wings. What kind of saw did you buy?

Rick Lizek
08-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Easily a one person job. One way I've done it is to have 2 x material on a saw horse under the going under the table of the saw. This way it held up with the base being clear so you can slide the mobile base underneath. I had some sawhorses that were made with hinges to pivot, and chains so I could change the spread of the legs to vary the height. I've used pipe clamps to use it as a lifting device at times. Another way is with a chainfall or engine hoist. Still another way is if the top is off the base is easily mauneuverable. Don't know what kind of saw you are getting but anything up to a Unsiaw or PM 66 is a small saw in my book. There's a bunch of other ways I've used that are pretty low tech with stuff in most shops.

Lee Schierer
08-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Just get it to the top of the stairs and push, it will go down no problem at all. Getting it back out will be a completely different problem.

Most refridgerator dollies will handle that kind of weight. I'm not sure how well it will strap to your saw. Other than that can you attach some 2 X 6's to the step and slide it down? You can secure the top with a block and tackle. You should be able to slide it down under control. Just make sure the block and tackle is securely anchored and the weight rating is high enough for the total weight of the saw.

Ellen Benkin
08-01-2005, 12:43 PM
I did it myself. The key is leverage and to do it a little at a time. Get the mobile base under one corner and work it in until you can get the other corner on it. Little by little. No hoist or crane required. Don't lift any more than you can without hurting yourself and make a lever out of a couple of 2x4s. It's not easy -- but it is possible.

Michael Ballent
08-01-2005, 1:16 PM
It'd help if we knew what kind of saw.

For instance, I put my Unisaw on the mobil base myself, but that was before I assembled the saw. However, If you're talking about a big combo unit...that's another story.

OK if you must insist it's a SawStop Cabinet Saw with 3HP motor. :D Now will you give me some hints ;)

Jim DeLaney
08-01-2005, 1:42 PM
Build the mobile base, to ensure the proper size, then take it apart into tow halves. Tilt the saw up from one side, and slip half the base under it. Then, tilt it up from the other side and slip the other half of the base under it. reconnect the two halves of the base and you're done.

It took me about 20 minutes to put my ShopFox saw onto the mobile base - by myself.

Glenn McAfee
08-01-2005, 1:47 PM
I have a 3hp sawstop, took delivery 2 months ago.

Here is how I got the beast in place:

The sawstop footprint isn't square, so I used a heavy duty shop fox base and added two layers of plywood with some 2 inch angle bracket around the sides of the plywood. I like the saw raised anyway, I'm 6'2" and it helps.

The saw slid right on to the base from the pallet, no problems. There is piece of heavy paper under the saw that makes it easy to move.

Enjoy the saw, I can't say enough good things about mine.

glenn

Scott Loven
08-01-2005, 2:13 PM
Dont do it like this guy did
http://www.captainscience.com/code/bricklayer.mp3

Doug Shepard
08-01-2005, 2:14 PM
OK if you must insist it's a SawStop Cabinet Saw with 3HP motor. :D Now will you give me some hints ;)

OHH - No Problem. I hear if you start to drop one on your toe, the sides will magically retract to protect you.:D

Jim Becker
08-01-2005, 3:04 PM
I just rocked mine from the pallet onto the mobile base as I unpacked it. I removed the wings and other extranious items and just worked it over myself. Piece of cake. (Jet LT Cabinet Saw)

lou sansone
08-01-2005, 3:31 PM
Is there any overhead beam that you could put a hoist on to lift it up?
lou

Robert Tarr
08-01-2005, 4:17 PM
With a motor block in place (should be there on a new saw, or a piece of styrofoam or wood will work,) I put down a moving blanket and set the cabinet saw on it' side (side without the motor cover or handles.) This made builiding the mobile base a snap. Once this was done, I used two pieces of packing tape to hold the mobile base on the bottom and I just picked the saw up into place. I did this by myself and have had no ill effects. I didn't have the fence or extension wings on it.

Kind of low tech. but works for me (several times now.)

Robert

Michael Ballent
08-01-2005, 4:30 PM
Is there any overhead beam that you could put a hoist on to lift it up?
lou

No overhead beam is available... It's a finished garage. Also I have already arranged with the trucking company to come with a lift gate and they will have a pallet jack, so they will be able to get it into the garage for me. So far I am surprised all the ways you guys have come up with the get the saw into the mobile base. Are there any others out there? Just curious. I think that I will be able to get 3 (including myself) guys to muscle it around. I like the idea of locking the mobile base into place, and sliding the saw into place. If the wing is in place I will definately be removing it, just to cut down on the weight.

Keep your ideas moving... I think this thread is equally important for all new owners of machinery that need to be put on mobile bases. I see this as a FAQ qualifier :D

Ed Breen
08-01-2005, 5:38 PM
Michael,

I had my cabinet saw set in my pickup bed, I then slid it into my shop via a ramp. I also went to a friend who has a tranny shop and borrowed his engine puller. I tilted the saw up and slid the heavy canvass harness I had made up and then just pumped the jack handle which lifted the saw. I then pushed it to its home spot and set it on the framework to lift it to my height. The engine puller was rated at two tons and moved very easily with the saw.
Good luck.
Ed:)

Bart Leetch
08-01-2005, 6:23 PM
I don't have a mobile base yet but do have the materials to make one. :D

I wanted to raise my 1953 Unisaw so that the material would slide off the saw onto my bench at around 36" high so I made a frame out of 2x3's wrapped in 1x4's to set it on.

Without the wings or fence system I laid the saw on its back & raised it up & slid the frame under the edge of the base & then just tilted it upright & the base & saw moved as a unit.

When I make the new mobile base it will have 6 locking casters & 6 leveling devices that will allow me to set the height of the saw as well as get it level.

I will probably rent an engine hoist to lift it at that time.

Mark Carlson
08-01-2005, 7:20 PM
My General cabinet saw came on a pallete that was a couple inches higher than my mobile base. I put a piece of plywood in the shopfox mobile base and eased/slid the saw into the base. I had help but could have done it by myself.

Hal Flynt
08-02-2005, 6:43 PM
I used a crowbar and scraps of wood to slowly raise a PM 66 up on 4 points of support about 3" off the floor in increments of the thickness of my ¾” scrap. Then slid a piece of the pallet a little higher than the height off the floor and longer than the saw was wide under the middle. Now it would rock a little bit. I rocked it one away from the base a bit, removed the 2 scrap stacks, and started sliding the base (The welded PM base) under the saw. Then I moved the little scrap blocks in side the edge of the base and rocked the saw back on them, to slide the pallet piece forward a little more each time until I got the edge of the support part of the base under the edge of the saw, then a push and it slid into place.

I also used a piece of 1x 4 pine to span the distance between the 2 support pads of the base to get me to 32 inches table height, which made that last slide easier and safer.

2 people would make this go very fast.

Per Swenson
08-02-2005, 7:02 PM
Stop worrying Michael,

I fretted for a month about how
I was going to accomplish this feat.
I presume you have the HTC mobile base.
After all the worrying,
We positioned the sawstop on pallet next to the base.
Picked the saw up and put it on it.
Thats it.
we only lifted it a 1/4 inch.
1 month of worry, over in one minute

It will arrive on a nice neat pallet,
get some rest.
Per

Bill Fields
08-02-2005, 9:12 PM
Michael:

It's about 30 min drive over to my house to borrow my 2-ton engine hoist.

Call me if you can use it--623 393 0833--

BILL FIELDS

Allen Bookout
08-02-2005, 9:32 PM
Borrow Bill's engine hoist (what a nice guy to offer). Everything that has to be lifted is a piece of cake with one. I keep a fold up type in my garage at all times and use it quite a bit. The most that I ever have to lift is the jack handle. It takes up about the same amount of space as your router table or band saw. If you want to buy one to keep on hand they are quite reasonable at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and you will never have to loose any sleep again wondering how you are going to lift something. Good Luck! Allen

Michael Ballent
08-02-2005, 9:42 PM
Thanks for the offer, that is really nice of you... Just not sure if the engine hoist is going to fit in the back of my Passat :D

My saw arrived today and the shipping company destroyed the crate, but were nice enough to wrap the crate with rope so the crate would not fall apart...:mad::mad::mad::mad: So I just refused my first shipment, and now I get to wait some more before I can take delivery of the saw UHG. Next Tuesday to be exact. They were going to be able to deliver it on Friday, but I have a system cut over scheduled for that weekend and be working all weekend... Pesky job gets in the way of my fun...:o

Michael:

It's about 30 min drive over to my house to borrow my 2-ton engine hoist.

Call me if you can use it--623 393 0833--

BILL FIELDS