PDA

View Full Version : jointer/planer combo Felder vs SCM question and my experience in woodworking so far..

rodrigo sosa
03-06-2015, 4:38 PM
Hello everybody,

i've been working a lot these days trying to complete a dresser for our first baby. Im almost in the final stages and must admit that if it wasn't for the Festool Domino XL, I wouldn't be as near to paint with PU as Im about to do this weekend, really happy with the investmet. Not sure how my 2 cents about the XL and the seneca adapter might be of interest to fellow woodworkers here, when I was reading about the 500 vs 700 posts in the internet, size and weight of the machine was a big concern for the majority of people choosing the 500 over the 700 and it appears to be the 500 is the one sells more (?)
I couldn't disagree more; let me say that with the seneca adapter, the most Dominos i've used for the miter of the main frame of the dresser were 4mm, the seneca and Domino XL shined!! Easy, stable precise and you get the freedom to build bigger with the XL and take advantage of the whole Domino range, thank you Seneca!!

Btw, i've re discovered my Bosch rotary sander, bought the adapter to 35 mm hose, and now the CT 26 works seamlessly with the Bosch Sander (the Auto On/Off feature works beautifully :) ) and sanding without dust... WOW it was Sooooo True!

After a lot of asking and searching for a modern type planer/jointer combo locally, i've decided to forget about going local, and do it myself...
this means importing but it will pay in the end and will save money
Why a combo? space... lack of it!

I 've narrowed my decision to two machines
SCM FS 410 (year 2000)
Felder AD 751 (year 1998)
Both are in really nice shape, SCM being pristine

The SCM is quite interesting, Tersa knives, electrical height adjustment of the planer surface
Tersa looks to be easier to work:
self alignment
always sharp (considering you have an extra set at hand for a quickie change)
considering having different tersa knives sets to work with different "stages" of planned/jointed wood?

Felder advantage at first glance: 10 cm wider and about € 1300 cheaper (but manual height adjustment)

What do you think? at these "wideness" is 10 cm that much of a difference?

cheers!

rodrigo

David Kumm
03-06-2015, 7:13 PM
I think you are fairly apples to apples so condition is the most important part of the decision. Tersa is a big factor although the Felder ESTA system is not a bad way to deal with knife changes. The older 1990s Felder machines were very well built, and preferable ( maybe only to me ) to the early 2000s machines. If condition is good, I would consider the age a benefit. I don't know if there were any quirks to either machine resulting in table alignment issues so you might want to inquire. Mac Campshure at www.airtightclamps.com (http://www.airtightclamps.com) sold Felder back then and could give you advice as to the 751. MM machines are well built and the tersa offsets the size difference. So, back to condition is King. Dave

Chris Parks
03-06-2015, 7:44 PM
As David says, you really can't go wrong with either. For me the tipping point would be the Tersa head, it is the most versatile on the market allowing fast knife changes to suit the job at hand.

Peter Kelly
03-06-2015, 8:31 PM
FS 410 without a doubt, I used to have that same one with the electric lift, great little machine.

Erik Loza
03-06-2015, 9:34 PM
Honestly, you probably couldn't go wrong with either (assuming there are npo unknow issues). The Tersa head would sway me, personally.

Erik

Jim Becker
03-07-2015, 8:24 PM
Ditto on the Tersa for me, too...I really like it on mine.

keith wootton
03-09-2015, 3:39 PM
i have the felder w/ motorized planer table lift and digital readout about the vintage you are looking for i really like it. i think you will miss having the motorized lift unless you are young and trying to save money. i don't think you will find a big difference in knives or change out time. felder will run on a 20 amp circuit and if scm has 4.8 hp motor it won't. good luck, keith