PDA

View Full Version : DC Vertical 6" PVC, How to support?? If needed??

Carl Weber
03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
All, I did some searching and did not find anything on this. I have new ducting for a new DC going in and the verticals will be dropped about 10' in open air. How have others dealt with this? Is there a need to support the PVC (6" Schedule 40). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Peterson
03-06-2015, 1:18 PM
Can you support it from the bottom? I have 3 places with vertical runs of around 5'. I just set them into a PVC fitting that is sitting on a workbench.

Or are you considering a case where the pipe is completely hanging from the ceiling? In that case, you should be OK with about a dozen screws through the top fitting into the pipe.

Steve

Carl Weber
03-06-2015, 1:25 PM
Bottom support may be possible. For the most part it will be free hanging. These will be verticals going from the main trunk to the Planer, Table Saw, and Jointer. I plan on using 1/2" screws to hold the pipes together.

John Spitters
03-06-2015, 2:03 PM
If your horizontal run that is along the ceiling is well supported then just place 3 to 4 short screws into each joint, along with an angled support arm to keep the vertical section from swinging.

Mike Henderson
03-06-2015, 2:15 PM
You can save some money and weight by going with "sewer and drain" plastic pipe instead of schedule 40. It works fine for dust collection. The walls are just a bit thinner but otherwise it looks identical to schedule 40.

I use screws through the fittings - into the pipe - to hold mine.

Mike

Carl Weber
03-07-2015, 8:25 AM
The schedule 40 fits the DC with no modification. The S&D would need to be modified to work. The cost at the local Menards was about the same for both and the S&D is special order. I plan on using screws and silicone to secure and seal the pipes. Thank you for the input.

John C Bush
03-09-2015, 2:45 PM
Any concern for mobile machines?? or bumping into the free swinging duct.?? My main line is `9ft off the floor and I use 4in. flexible hose to run to machines. Drop electrical also. All are mobile and I occasioanally scoot them around for larger stock, etc. I have a 2hp cyclone located in an attached room with outside access only--better for dust and noise, compressor is there too--and there is plenty of suction.

Mike Henderson
03-09-2015, 5:12 PM
The schedule 40 fits the DC with no modification. The S&D would need to be modified to work. The cost at the local Menards was about the same for both and the S&D is special order. I plan on using screws and silicone to secure and seal the pipes. Thank you for the input.
I used flexible hose to go from the PVC to my machine. I didn't try to attach the PVC directly to the machine. With flexible hose, it's the outside diameter that's important and it appears the sewer and drain and schedule 40 have the same outside diameter. Anyway, the flexible hose fit perfectly.

Around here, the S&D was significantly less expensive than the schedule 40 - almost half.

Mike

Kent A Bathurst
03-09-2015, 6:05 PM
I used flexible hose to go from the PVC to my machine. I didn't try to attach the PVC directly to the machine. With flexible hose, it's the outside diameter that's important and it appears the sewer and drain and schedule 40 have the same outside diameter. Anyway, the flexible hose fit perfectly.

Around here, the S&D was significantly less expensive than the schedule 40 - almost half.

Mike

Yeah - if you are connecting to any machine that is mobile, use the flex for "the last mile" [last 6" - 12"]. Actually, to really be in good shape, connect with flex to any machine that is not anchored.