PDA

View Full Version : Tooltray size

Rolf Safferthal
08-01-2005, 11:18 AM
What is a proper size for a tool tray. Ok, length is more or less determined by the workbench length, but how about width and depth?

Suggestions highly appreciated!

Andrew Ault
08-01-2005, 11:30 AM
I don't think you can make a big error in depth and width. Whatever feels natural to you is going to work out just fine. Imagine setting a few tools down while working on the work you commonly do and the amount of space that would be convenient for those tools.

One thing that is really nice is having a trap door in the bottom of one end of the tray. This makes it easy to sweep chips out at the end of a work session.

I had a tray like this in the past and plan to build one for my current workbench.

Rolf Safferthal
08-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Andrew,

my plans are for a center tool tray (Veritas style) that is inherently open on one side. A "natural" depth - the thickness of the workbench top (2 5/8 inches) minus the thickness of the plywood bottom (3/8 inch) - would be easy to relize, but is that too shallow?

How about a width of 6 inches?

Lee DeRaud
08-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Andrew, my plans are for a center tool tray (Veritas style) that is inherently open on one side. A "natural" depth - the thickness of the workbench top (2 5/8 inches) minus the thickness of the plywood bottom (3/8 inch) - would be easy to relize, but is that too shallow?Probably: there are just too many things you'll want to put in there that will stick up above the surface just enough to be annoying.

Of course, no matter what depth you use, there's going to be something that does that.

Mike Weaver
08-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Andrew,

my plans are for a center tool tray (Veritas style) that is inherently open on one side. A "natural" depth - the thickness of the workbench top (2 5/8 inches) minus the thickness of the plywood bottom (3/8 inch) - would be easy to relize, but is that too shallow?

How about a width of 6 inches?

I would suggest you take the tools you use the most and be sure they would fit laying down in a 6" width tray - For example, if you use a #3 or #4 plane a lot, it would be handy to be able to lay it down in the tray so it's completely under the work surface from time to time. I think 6" works, but I'm not 100% sure without measuring.

Cheers,
-Mike

PS As Andrews said - I don't think there's a "right" or "wrong" answer.

Andrew Ault
08-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi Rolf,

I agree with Lee. Any given depth will have plusses and minusses. I like a tray mostly because it keeps me from knocking tools onto the floor. (At least potentially as I have not done so yet, thankfully.) If it was deep and wide enough to lay a plane on it's side without sticking up, that would be great. I think 6 inches might be Ok, just make sure your favorite planes fit in that space.

I like that bench design also.

-Andy

Jim Young
08-01-2005, 5:04 PM
I would make it wide and deep enough to house a 50deg #4 1/4 on it's side.