PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw purchase question: Jet vs Grizzly

Jason A Morgan
03-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Okay, I thank you for even clicking to read this as this is akin to choosing which is your favorite child.

I have done some research and with the 15% off sale can get the Jet Exacta saw for about $300 more than the Griz G1023RLX. Both are spec'd very similar and meet all my needs. I really like the Jet just wondering if the extra $300 is worth it. Would be the little things like "fit and finish"

Thanks for your help.

Oh, one other question. I know Jet just announced the "updated" version of the saw and that would be the one I am getting. Is the 15% something they do every year or are they getting ready to make another major upgrade and are moving out stock?

Thanks,

jason

Jim Andrew
03-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Think the fit and finish of Grizzly and Jet are pretty similar. There is a thread on 10% off coupons for Grizzly. If you want to look at a little more expensive saw, look at the Grizzly G0700.

William C Rogers
03-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Want one is a toss-up. I had an older Jet saw that was very nice, but don't know much about the newer saws. Jet and Powermatic run the 15% sale for the last several years, so it is not because of any stock clearance.

Victor Robinson
03-06-2015, 12:02 PM
I'd say get the most saw for your money, in other words spend on features/functionality/power/capacity. Fit and finish difference between Grizzly and Jet will be really minimal. It's when you step into premium tablesaws (Sawstop, Unisaw, PM tablesaws, or European machines) that the fit and finish really start contributing to the pleasure of using the machine and it feels like good value, at least to me.

Peter Aeschliman
03-06-2015, 12:39 PM
My personal view is that Jet and Grizzly are generally at the same quality level.

I just can't justify the brand mark-up that Jet puts on its tools. Part of it is that Jet sells through distributors, so there's another party in the supply chain taking a cut. There's no reason for you to have to spend more money for the "privelege" of buying through a retailer when you could buy a very similar tool for less directly from Grizzly.

Randy Red Bemont
03-06-2015, 12:46 PM
I have the Grizzly 1023RLX and it is a great saw. I've owned other saws in the past including a delta cabinet saw and I like this one much better. Accurate right out of the box and easy to assemble. I got the mobile base so it's very easy to move it around the shop.

Red

Jason A Morgan
03-06-2015, 1:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your insights and opinions. Little change of plans though, I decided to "cry once" and just purchased a SawStop. :D

Victor Robinson
03-06-2015, 4:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your insights and opinions. Little change of plans though, I decided to "cry once" and just purchased a SawStop. :D

LOL. Congrats and enjoy.

glenn bradley
03-06-2015, 4:46 PM

I see no downside to this. PCS 3hp I assume. I went with the long rails; you can always cut them down but, it is really hard to stretch them.

rudy de haas
03-06-2015, 6:53 PM
For the same money as the Jet you can get a G0690 or G0691 along with a few extra blades and/or some change. Try them side by side and you'll find this an easy choice.

I have the Cdn version and the only thing vaguely wrong with is that jatoba dust (very fine, some what oily) builds up in the trunion gears and cleaning them is a pain.