PDA

View Full Version : Saved an old woody jack plane

Robert Norman
03-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Took this guy:
Sanded it down, cleaned up the irons, sharpened what's left of the blade (2 1/8") flattened the twisted sole and now to test on my trusty white oak knot.

I will be replacing the tote with a slightly larger one and will probably order a new iron from Hock. This plane is so sweet with just a little functional tune up. As a note, this is the first time I've ever had to sand a wooden plane but that finish was too terrible. Now that I'm assured it can and will function properly the real work begins... This one will not be found on the wall of a local chain restaurant but making music as it should be!

Bill White
03-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Well done sir.
I just finished my resto on a woody with a magnificent W. Butcher iron and breaker. That steel is really sweet.
The iron in yours was truly used up. Hope the Hock iron works well for you.
Bill

Chris Hachet
03-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Sweet. Steven C Neuman restored a similar plane I traded to him. I have three wooden planes I use on a regular basis, a smoother, a coffin plane , and a jointer.

Chris

Steve Voigt
03-06-2015, 12:46 PM
I would try to find a vintage tapered iron, rather than use an untapered modern iron.
Your iron looks, from the profile of the top, like it could be an 18th century iron. Those are rare. Does it work? If so, I'd keep using it until it's completely used up.

Robert Norman
03-06-2015, 2:25 PM
The cap iron is unmarked, the blade is stamped Ohio Tools, will add a pic when I get home. Definitley the most used blade I've come across but honestly with care could last me years yet.
I had to re grind the bevel by hand to get rid of some nicks in the middle of the blade. Boy does that last 1/8" take 90% of the work but it saved some precious steel.

Graham Haydon
03-06-2015, 3:53 PM
Nice Robert, I'd go with Steve's advice on the iron. A tapered vintage one would look great. Good on you for putting the effort in.

Steve Voigt
03-06-2015, 5:03 PM
The cap iron is unmarked, the blade is stamped Ohio Tools

Definitely not 18th c. then! But yeah, could still get a lot of life out of it.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-06-2015, 5:29 PM
Nice! Before I read the captions I looked at the images and thought your trusty oak knot was the plane body. I thought, "Boy, why did he waste time restoring that and who ever built a plane out of that piece of wood?" ...then I read the story. Looks great. Certainly did a fine job on that knot.

Robert Norman
03-06-2015, 8:12 PM
Funny you say that since what got me started with the wooden planes was watching Peter Follansbee on a woodright's shop episode. He mentioned one of his planes was made from chunk of firewood. It was an Ah Ha! moment for me that perhaps I was overthinking things.

We all have our own version of the sickness. I've found simple works best for me. For most dimensioning and joinery now I've found 2 saws, 2 chisels and 2 planes is enough to do what needs doing.

Never enough moulding planes though.

Reinis Kanders
03-06-2015, 8:59 PM
Someone must have really liked or needed that plane to use up most of the iron. Probably a good omen:)