PDA

View Full Version : Maple vase

Robert McGowen
03-06-2015, 9:54 AM
This is a 7" tall vase that I made from maple. It has been finished with Danish Oil.
I made the blank by gluing up 2 boards, which is why you can see a joint on the photo of the bottom of the piece. http://www.woodturnersunlimited.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

C & C are welcome and appreciated.

Dennis Peacock
03-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Beautiful....absolutely beautiful.!!!

Thom Sturgill
03-06-2015, 10:19 AM
Very nice. Good form, simple pattern with appropriate coloring.

Did you hand turn the beads or use a beading tool? I ask becasue it looks like graduated beads with those at the top and bottom being smaller.

This type of turning is something I want to master and I just bought two more beaders from D-Way. One, 1/16" is for miniatures while the 1/8" was for a beaded platter. While I like the beaders, I have trouble with some beads wanting to chip out. I have thought of just using them to score evenly spaced lines and turning the beads with a detail gouge.

Randy Red Bemont
03-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Just gorgeous! Nicely done.

Red

Steve Doerr
03-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Very nice and very well executed. Did you you black paint or black dye for your squares and how did you keep it from migrating?

Hayes Rutherford
03-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Very nice work. I admire you skill and patience.

Mike Golka
03-06-2015, 2:48 PM
Another wonderful piece Robert, thanks for sharing.

charlie knighton
03-06-2015, 2:55 PM
very nice, Robert......the use of two slabs glued together......why......just happened to have some boards???? I could see if you used 4 pieces where you would not have the clock face problem of tearout, but 2 boards would not eliminate that.....which brings me back to just happened to have some boards???????

very nice

David Delo
03-06-2015, 4:02 PM
Form, style, presentation, workmanship are all outstanding Robert. Definitely has the WOW factor!

Thomas Canfield
03-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Very nice. YOu sure can't see the glue lines on the sides. Good job.

Robert McGowen
03-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Thank you for the comments.

Thom, I used a D-way beading tool. The bead size does not change. The space between the vertical lines changes due to the changing diameter of the vase. The middle of the vase has more space between the lines, whereas the smaller diameter top and bottom has less space between the lines.

Steve, I used Faber-Castell pens for the colors. I just let it sit for a few days and then poured Danish Oil over it, making sure not to rub it too much.

Charlie, I did just happen to have a very thick board of maple. Not much maple in Texas if you want a vase size piece. :)