PDA

View Full Version : DIY out feed table support

Dale Murray
03-06-2015, 9:30 AM
I have a SS ICS with the 52" top and mobile base. It lives in my heated garage as does my car so I frequently move the saw for use. When it came time for an out feed table I made my own; it seems most add several inches to the saws depth when not in use and I really could not afford it taking up more space.

When it came time to make supports for the top I decided to forgo traditional legs (those that extend to the floor), instead I used braces to the base. For this to work the braces would need to be hinged in three places, at the base, in the middle, and at the top. Add to that the top is also hinged and I had a problem - where exactly should all those hinge point land? I realized it would take dozens of iterations to get it right, which seemed a bit daunting.

The way to solve this is a sliding dovetail on the underside of the extension table, sliding tails would allow me to be a little less precise as well as offer a point for adjustment.

The lowest hinge point is attached to the wheel housing on the rolling base.

I still need to trip out the top but overall I am quite happy.

This is how everything looks when in the stowed position.

Now you can see how everything moves when raising the top. Note the sliding dovetail.

Top fully deployed and locked in place.

This is just showing the tail.

And finally the adjusters installed.
One block is glued and screwed to the top, the other to the sliding tail.
The 5/16" bolt threads through a brass insert and pushes against a pieces of metal attached to the block on the tail.
This allows for height adjustment yet still allows the tail to slide freely when raising and lowering the top.

Doug Garson
03-06-2015, 1:25 PM
Excellent, wish I had seen this before I built my out feed table with sliding dovetail support (see my post in the other thread here about out feed tables). Yours looks like it might be easier to raise into position. Perhaps you should have posted this there instead of a new thread.

Keith Hankins
03-06-2015, 1:29 PM
Sweet setup! I to have the ICS. I use my workbench as my outfeed, but your's looks kinda sweet. Can you provide some more details and more on that mechanisim to level the table.

Dale Murray
03-06-2015, 3:37 PM
I will take additional pictures and post over the weekend.

Bruce Page
03-06-2015, 3:39 PM
Nice design. I made telescoping legs for my outfeed.

Dale Murray
03-06-2015, 4:01 PM
Excellent, wish I had seen this before I built my out feed table with sliding dovetail support (see my post in the other thread here about out feed tables). Yours looks like it might be easier to raise into position. Perhaps you should have posted this there instead of a new thread.

I was unaware of the other thread. Sorry.

My legs are of a fixed length.
The dovetails are free at all times (never locked in place).
The height adjustment is via the bolts through the stop blocks.
The bolts are threaded through a brass insert on the stop blocks and once adjusted are locked in place using a nut.
The weight of the top pushing down forces the tails against the bolt in the stop block and thus sets the height of the tables far end.

I will shoot more pictures and do a better write up this weekend.

David Ragan
03-07-2015, 7:34 AM
I was unaware of the other thread. Sorry.

My legs are of a fixed length.
The dovetails are free at all times (never locked in place).
The height adjustment is via the bolts through the stop blocks.
The bolts are threaded through a brass insert on the stop blocks and once adjusted are locked in place using a nut.
The weight of the top pushing down forces the tails against the bolt in the stop block and thus sets the height of the tables far end.

I will shoot more pictures and do a better write up this weekend.

That looks awesome!!

Simplicity itself.

I have the same saw---you have plans please?

Dale Murray
03-07-2015, 11:35 PM
That looks awesome!!

Simplicity itself.

I have the same saw---you have plans please?

Thanks.
I don't believe I ever made drawing for the top, frequently I just build stuff from imagination. Thats how I made the legs.

I will come up with more pics and take some measurements.