PDA

View Full Version : Need adhesive advice. HELP!!!

Royce Meritt
08-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey everyone. Here's the story. I am making some storage cabinets for a school in my area. I've done A LOT of these over the years. I have always faced the edges of the plywood carcasses with stuff called T-moulding. For those of you not familiar with T-moulding it is a plastic product that is forced into a slot cut into the edge of the plywood with a slot cutting bit. Works great. Is durable and gives a nice finished look.

Here's my problem. I did not realize, until I had routed the edges of 3 cabinets worth of plywood, that one of the wings on my slot cutting bit was bent. This resulted in the slot being too wide. The T-moulding will not stay in the slot. I need to come up with a way to keep the T-moulding in place. Some sort of adhesive is the best solution I think. I have experimented with hot melt adhesive and it will work, I think. It will be a slow process and take a lot of hot melt adhesive.

I am presently experimenting with polyurethane glue to see if that will work. The one thing that worries me about that is that as the glue cures and expands it may force the moulding right out of the slot.

I also considered ripping some thin strips of wood, gluing them into the too-wide slot and re-roting the slots (with a new, non-bent slot cutter of course). Any other suggestions?

I have included a couple of so-so pictures to help explain. Thanks.

Jim Becker
08-01-2005, 11:40 AM
http://www.thistothat.com/

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Been there, done that! What we used was a product from Roo Glue designed for melamine gluing. We found that it would stick together just about any two surfaces but worked well on T-Molding.

Doug

Carl Eyman
08-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Jim and Doug have probably answered your question, but what about construction adhesive?

Michael Perata
08-01-2005, 1:58 PM
Poly glues are not gap fillers. If you don't want to use construction adhesive (good choice) then I would recommend a quick (5 -10 minute) setting epoxy (great gap filling).