PDA

View Full Version : Engraving for edge lighting

hugh bunker
03-05-2015, 10:29 PM
I have a 18"x18" logo that I will be engraving on 1/4 cast acrylic. I have a turnkey, basically a re badged rabbit laser 60 watt and have recently replaced the tube and it seems much more powerful than when new. This tube has a very nice round beam and the original that only lasted for 300 hrs of light on time had a beam that looked like an oblong letter "o". I have just one piece so I need to get it right the first time. What would be a good power, speed and dpi to set for the engraving? I dont want to use my old tube settings and be too powerful. Thanks for the help.

Bert Kemp
03-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Theres really no way we can give you any accurate settings, every machine is different and we could give you starting points but I guess in this case it won't help. I suggest you get a couple pieces and try some different settings. I don't think anyone will go out on a limb here and say try these. Best to get some scrap and practice.

Clark Pace
03-05-2015, 10:57 PM
This much advice I can give you, that has served me well. Reverse you image to you are viewing the image from the smooth side of the acrylic. Also use cast plastic. Another top. Don't try and go too deep or your will get crusting. I like to use a light etch. The power and setting will be different from my machine to yours, but do a could test on a spare piece of acrylic.

hugh bunker
03-06-2015, 2:11 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give it a go.