PDA

View Full Version : PDF to workable .svg in corel?

Kit Dumph
03-05-2015, 3:57 PM
Alright my head hurts from trying to make this work. What I'm trying to do it convert a pdf map with contour lines into a vector .svg image I can use in corel draw. I need to be able to isolate the contour lines and change them between cut and no cut. Any ideas? I have tried a few ways with illustrator (trace, cut/paste/save as .svg, convert to raster-trace) none with decent results. The .pdf is too large to upload here, but I could email to someone.

Michael Hunter
03-05-2015, 6:45 PM
Can you not import the pdf directly into Corel?

I'm using Corel X6 and it has not messed up a pdf import yet.

Dan Hintz
03-05-2015, 9:29 PM
Just because it is a PDF does not mean it's directly convertible to a vector format... if the image int he PDF is a bitmap, you'll need to vectorize it yourself (i.e., auto-trace and the like).

Kit Dumph
03-05-2015, 9:31 PM
Here is a link to the file-http://ims.er.usgs.gov/gda_services/download?item_id=5959448

Dan Hintz
03-05-2015, 9:32 PM
Nope, that's a vector file...

Kit Dumph
03-05-2015, 9:33 PM
So how do I actually select the contour lines if its already in vector once I import it into corel? I tried ungrouping, but no luck...

Don Corbeil
03-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Kit,

See if this works, I extracted through Illustrator to svg, then into corel. It initially bogged down my cpu, but it did open.
Here are the instructions for various ways to extract vector from pdf:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/extract-vector-graphic-pdf-47224.html

converted file:

Lee DeRaud
03-07-2015, 2:22 PM
See if this works, I extracted through Illustrator to svg, then into corel. It initially bogged down my cpu, but it did open.
converted file:
308507Ok, for what it's worth...
The original PDF was about 28MB: it crashes my copy of Inkscape, X4 says it's corrupted and refuses to import it. I used an online PDF->SVG conversion to get a 31MB SVG that crashes Inkscape and X4, but displays fine under Explorer.
Your version is only 9MB and still crashes X4. It loads OK into Inkscape, so just for chuckles I tried printing it through Corel's PDF Creator, which yielded a blank-page 2KB PDF.
(It doesn't appear to be a memory problem: X4's process only shows about 400MB used in Task Manager when it dies.)

Kit Dumph
03-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Well I'm glad I have somewhat stumped this crowd, as I feel better about myself! I'm at the point of using a screen shot from the 28mb file of just the contour lines and then tracing in illustrator. Still doesn't work as well as it should, but not sure what else to try at this point.