PDA

View Full Version : fold down out feed table on unisaw, ideas needed

cody michael
03-05-2015, 3:38 PM
I have a unisaw with bies fence, I would like to setup up an out field table, I think with my small shop and less then flat floor a folding one would work best, my current idea is to mount hinges on the rear angle iron of the fence, have a something like 3ft by 4ft board with 2 legs on hinges, swing board up, legs go at an angle down to the angle of the rolling stand, so it is supportted, about 30-36 inchs is the max I can do, would that be sufficient for most things? In the past when cutting I have either had someone catch the cutoffs or just let them fall, letting them fall seems less then safe, and I am trying to set it up to be more easy to do stuff without help. any ideas or pictures of similar setups?

Lloyd McKinlay
03-05-2015, 4:09 PM
I basically copied the one designed by Jim Becker ( http://sawsndust.com/p-outfeed.htm). Works great. I ended up not even attaching the legs, just slide them under when I use the table.

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2015, 4:58 PM
Cody, that's exactly what I did when I owned a cabinet saw..........Regards, Rod.

Martin Wasner
03-05-2015, 5:04 PM
A shop I used to work at used a roller table like this (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002263R/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2EC1PHZMI03GQ&coliid=I33MYTX345WLBG) for an outfeed table. I didn't care for it on a tablesaw, but it worked for just ripping solid stock. It's nice having four feet past the tablesaw for a table, the drop on 8' material usually doesn't need any baby sitting immediately after it has cleared the blade.

Jak Kelly
03-05-2015, 5:11 PM
I am very limited on room in my shop, since it houses the wife's car, so I need to be able to push it up against the wall as tight as I possibly can. So when in need of an out-feed table I use 2 saw horses, screw down 3 - 4' long 2"x4" to the top of the saw horses, then throw on a sheet of OSB or Plywood. I think the sawhorse set-up might be 1/2" lower than my table saw, but it works for me, and yes it is better than letting stuff hit the floor. Now if I had the space for an out-feed table, heck ya!!!!!!

Doug Garson
03-05-2015, 9:24 PM
Check out Laney Shaunessy's youtube channel for one method of making an outfeed table. I used some of his ideas (like the sliding dovetail support) for my outfeed table. But instead of supporting it from a channel bolted to the back of the saw I used two channels bolted to the sides and extending out the back to support the fixed portion of the table which the hinged portion attaches to.

Rich Riddle
03-05-2015, 9:34 PM
When I had a Unisaw, it had a fold-down out-feed table. Here is a picture of the saw right before it's trip to Washington, DC to Phil's house.

Shawn Pixley
03-05-2015, 10:50 PM
I basically copied the one designed by Jim Becker ( http://sawsndust.com/p-outfeed.htm). Works great. I ended up not even attaching the legs, just slide them under when I use the table.

I did this as well. Works great!

cody michael
03-06-2015, 8:07 AM
thanks guys I will have to check out my setup and see what I can do. I apppreciate your ideas, what would you say is the minimum useful length for outfeed table?

julian abram
03-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Will a folding outfeed table as discussed in this thread fully support ripping a 4x8 sheet or would additional outfeed support be needed?

Martin Wasner
03-06-2015, 1:11 PM
, what would you say is the minimum useful length for outfeed table?

For me, four feet. Five would be better, but purely personal preference.

Doug Garson
03-06-2015, 1:15 PM
Will a folding outfeed table as discussed in this thread fully support ripping a 4x8 sheet or would additional outfeed support be needed?
Haven't done it with mine but I'm sure I could. The back of the outfield table is about 54" from the front of the blade so when the cut is finished more than half the sheet is supported. Weight is not an issue I can push down on the back of the table with much more force than the weight of any plywood sheet.

Cary Falk
03-06-2015, 1:33 PM
Here is one I had some time ago.

Dale Murray
03-06-2015, 3:35 PM
I did not see this thread when I started one about the out feed table supports I made this past week. My thread can be found here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?228421-DIY-out-feed-table-support

I will post more detail about my solution over the weekend.

Ole Anderson
03-06-2015, 5:57 PM
Here is mine, a scaled down version of one from Wood mag: Why didn't I make a fancy schmancy adjustable hinged support leg? Not as sturdy and it would take just as long to use and a lot more complicated to make. (the picture makes it look like it is hanging down, it isn't, it's dead flat with the table). Unless you break down sheet goods on your TS, you don't need a gigantic out feed table, just big enough to catch your pieces as they exit the blade.