PDA

View Full Version : No furnace since the first of the year.

Rick Potter
03-05-2015, 2:13 PM
A true life California survival tale.

I am sure glad we had a real mild winter here. My furnace repair man has been waiting for parts since January. We have an enclosed patio with a heater, and for about a week, we used a fan to get the heat in the family room, when the temp inside got down to 61 degrees. It was terrible, I actually had to put a sweater on, inside the house. My wife used a snuggy and a blanket. Then again, she also uses a snuggy in August.

Dave Anderson NH
03-05-2015, 2:26 PM
No sympathy here Rick. Here in NH we had 3 days in the month of February where the temperature got above 32F and even then, the highest was 35F. Yesterday we had a hot one when the temp got all the way up to 45F.:D

Phil Thien
03-05-2015, 2:33 PM
That's fine, the ground here in Wisconsin doesn't shake.

Anthony Whitesell
03-05-2015, 2:59 PM
Don't forget the 9 feet of snow we got to shovel as well.

Lee Reep
03-05-2015, 3:17 PM

[...]

Rick, thanks for the comic relief. With the bitter cold, piles of snow, grim news I read ever day, or hear on radio or TV, this was much appreciated ...
:D

Jerome Stanek
03-05-2015, 3:31 PM
And you said Gas prices are what ther in CA

Myk Rian
03-05-2015, 4:31 PM
61º ? Oh geeze. I feel sorry for you.
It hasn't gotten up to 30º here since January.
We keep the house at 64º. Nice and comfy.

Bruce Page
03-05-2015, 4:48 PM
Some good friends of ours moved to Pittsburgh 18 months ago to be near to their daughter & grandkids. They're moving back to ABQ this summer, if not sooner.

Brian Henderson
03-05-2015, 5:18 PM

We get a noticeable shaker once every couple of decades, you get snowed in every single year. I'll take the earthquakes any time.

Kent A Bathurst
03-05-2015, 5:29 PM

Or slide down the hill after a rain. Or burn.

John Coloccia
03-05-2015, 6:32 PM
No sympathy here Rick. Here in NH we had 3 days in the month of February where the temperature got above 32F and even then, the highest was 35F. Yesterday we had a hot one when the temp got all the way up to 45F.:D

I went outside a couple of weeks ago. It was 12 degrees. I KNOW it was 12 degrees because I was in such disbelief I looked it up. I swear, it felt like the first day of spring. I was shoveling with nothing but fleece. It's amazing what you'll get used to!

Chris Padilla
03-05-2015, 6:50 PM
Each to their own. I'm from Colorado...grew up with skis on my feet. California is all right but I do miss snow and cold and 4 seasons quite a bit. Unfortunately, LOML does NOT miss such things and so here we stay....:rolleyes:

Eduard Nemirovsky
03-05-2015, 7:17 PM
Not for me, move away from LA as soon as I can. Shaking is not for me.
Ed. But I love snow:D

We get a noticeable shaker once every couple of decades, you get snowed in every single year. I'll take the earthquakes any time.

Leo Graywacz
03-05-2015, 7:57 PM

I am sure glad we had a real mild winter here. My furnace repair man has been waiting for parts since January. We have an enclosed patio with a heater, and for about a week, we used a fan to get the heat in the family room, when the temp inside got down to 61 degrees. It was terrible, I actually had to put a sweater on, inside the house. My wife used a snuggy and a blanket. Then again, she also uses a snuggy in August.

My heart bleeds for you. Tonight it's going to be 5F and tomorrow night it's going to be 8F. At least during the day it'll be in the 20s

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2015, 8:52 PM

Gee, that's terrible!

There must be some sort of Federal Emergency relief fund available for disasters like this?

It was -25 this morning while I was scraping the car windshield, almost brok out into a sweat :-)

John Coloccia
03-05-2015, 9:13 PM
There must be some sort of Federal Emergency relief fund available for disasters like this?

I think you get a chiminea and a few Duraflame logs. Helps knock the chill out of the evening barbeque.

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2015, 9:30 PM
I think you get a chiminea and a few Duraflame logs. Helps knock the chill out of the evening barbeque.

Very good John, that was funny.........Regards, Rod.

Shawn Pixley
03-05-2015, 9:59 PM
I hear you my furnace ran on four days total this winter. Nicest winter ever. Tomorrow it should be 80 degrees.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-05-2015, 10:36 PM
At least there is some comfort in the knowledge that so many others are cold too, with the notable exception of you west coasters who we all feel so sorry for...

A friend who lives in corpus christi was complaining about his weather, and it was worse then mine! Granted, it was a very nice day here, and really not there, and only a degree warmer here, but it counts!

Wade Lippman
03-05-2015, 10:46 PM
My heart bleeds for you. Tonight it's going to be 5F and tomorrow night it's going to be 8F. At least during the day it'll be in the 20s

Have you ever been in California? Anyplace there with good weather is so over crowded that it is unlivable. A few weeks of terrible weather ends, but the crowds don't.

Dave Zellers
03-06-2015, 12:11 AM
Nicest winter ever.

I've got 7 feet of snow from the snow blower on my garden and I couldn't agree more. I didn't start out that way a month ago but at this point, my attitude is, bring it on. You can't beat me. 3 inches of snow or 3 feet, NOTHING will get me to leave New England.

We just tacked on another 12 inches today.

Beautiful.

Seeing a cardinal perched in a snow covered tree today was very special. He was waiting his turn at the feeder.

Rick, when the temp in the house gets to 61, you can always take off a layer. These days, it's usually around 58º downstairs when we get up.

Lee Reep
03-06-2015, 1:00 AM
Seeing a cardinal perched in a snow covered tree today was very special. He was waiting his turn at the feeder.

Dave,

My wife and I were thinking we might drive to Kansas this year, just to see cardinals. I've never seen them in person. Then we heard a few had been spotted in Colorado, near the Kansas border. Just recently someone in Boulder (35 miles from us) has some cardinals at his feeders. This has been a great yeat for unusual spottings. We have spotted several uncommon species at our feeders -- species which typically would only be spotted in the mountains, or possibly the foothills west of town. The rarest spotting for us was an American Woodcock last month. Extremely rare in Colorado. As we were leaving the area of the spotting, a news van from Denver was arriving. Either a slow news day, or a lot more interest in birds than I ever thought was possible.

Rich Engelhardt
03-06-2015, 3:28 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Phil Thien http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2386362#post2386362)

Or slide down the hill after a rain. Or burn.

Our river caught fire once...
I believe we'll have that dubious claim unmatched for eternity...:eek::rolleyes::D

Gordon Eyre
03-06-2015, 12:31 PM
I have been watering and cutting my lawn for the past month and a half. Just an hour up north I could go skiing. St. George is called Utah's Dixie.

Wade Lippman
03-06-2015, 12:36 PM
I have been watering and cutting my lawn for the past month and a half. Just an hour up north I could go skiing. St. George is called Utah's Dixie.
I've been in St. George in August. No thanks.

Brian Henderson
03-06-2015, 1:47 PM
Not for me, move away from LA as soon as I can. Shaking is not for me.
Ed. But I love snow:D

The nice thing is, I can look out my window and see snow in the mountains. I can be in the snow in half an hour. I can be at the beach in an hour. I have the best of all worlds.

Brian Henderson
03-06-2015, 1:54 PM
I hear you my furnace ran on four days total this winter. Nicest winter ever. Tomorrow it should be 80 degrees.

I think we had the heat on about five times the whole season. I didn't have to get out a coat until the very end, more because it was raining than because it was cold.

Chris Padilla
03-06-2015, 5:44 PM

Parched!!! Nice winter = bloody hot and DRY summer!

Chris Padilla
03-06-2015, 5:45 PM
The nice thing is, I can look out my window and see snow in the mountains. I can be in the snow in half an hour. I can be at the beach in an hour. I have the best of all worlds.

What snow? Where you at, Brian?

Jerome Stanek
03-06-2015, 6:20 PM

what will happen to the water supply in the summer

Chris Padilla
03-06-2015, 6:23 PM
what will happen to the water supply in the summer

I fear that. Jerome. California is 25% desert already...might be increasing that number. No snow in the Sierras. :(

Brian Henderson
03-06-2015, 7:56 PM
What snow? Where you at, Brian?

I just looked out my window, I can see Big Bear from here. There's snow up there as I type. Not a lot, but they got a pretty decent load in the recent rains.

mike mcilroy
03-06-2015, 8:21 PM

I can see mountains of snow outside my window unfortunatley I shovelled it all there , I can be at the beach in ten minutes unfortunately I can walk off the sand and still not find water and I can be to where the river caught on fire in 2 1/2 hours, usaully on my way to a Browns game that is over before the first quarter.

Location.Location.Location

Shawn Pixley
03-06-2015, 11:06 PM

Maybe. But we have got about four times as much rain here as last year.

Shawn Pixley
03-06-2015, 11:08 PM

Yes. We can surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon.

Shawn Pixley
03-06-2015, 11:10 PM
Have you ever been in California? Anyplace there with good weather is so over crowded that it is unlivable. A few weeks of terrible weather ends, but the crowds don't.

Au contraire' There are many wonderful places without crowds. I'm just not allowed to tell you where they are.

Chris Padilla
03-07-2015, 12:52 AM
Au contraire' There are many wonderful places without crowds. I'm just not allowed to tell you where they are.

Our little secret.... ;)

Brian Henderson
03-07-2015, 1:47 AM

Hardly. I've got 10 acres and my closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Does that sound overcrowded?

Mike Cutler
03-07-2015, 4:48 AM
Being a native Angeleno, grew up about 15 miles from, the OP. I miss it at times, but the morning we had here in Ct. yesterday was gorgeous. Wouldn't have traded it for any weather, anywhere else. Stunning, simply stunning. It was like a Currier and Ives print come to life.

I've shoveled my roof off twice, have about 3' of snow in the yard, The ice dams are probably going to pop my gutters off, along with some fascia boards. I keep rolling the tires off the tractor plowing. My shoulders are blown, my back hurts, and it seems like I went through a winter's worth of cordwood in Feb. alone.:eek: But the morning we got yesterday made it all worth it.

Rick
Hope you have your furnace, or heater, fixed soon. 61 degrees in the house is uncomfortable, no matter where you live.

Jason Roehl
03-07-2015, 8:46 AM

In the winter, our furnace is set to 60ºF at night. It's been down to that inside each night most of the last 3 months. Even with regular single-digit temps (and occasional below-zero temps), I have only worn a jacket or coat a handful of times. There are rumors of near-70ºF in our forecast by St. Patty's Day. I'll be a puddle of sweat...

Phil Thien
03-07-2015, 8:55 AM
Even more than not getting too cold in winter, the thing I like about CA weather is not getting too hot in summer.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Our river caught fire once...
I believe we'll have that dubious claim unmatched for eternity...:eek::rolleyes::D

Somebody had a really bad day to make a river flammable I'm thinking, what happened???

Rick Potter
03-07-2015, 11:09 AM
I lived in Cleveland till I was 13, and remember shoveling snow, walking to school on icy roads narrowed by huge berms of dirty ice, left by snowplows. My little brother fell through the ice and I had to pull him out once. I also remember that every summer we were not allowed to wash our cars, or water the lawn on certain days....seems a bit strange living near Lake Erie. I also remember the bugs, especially the mosquitos. I didn't see it, but I have memories of the Cuyahoga River (?) catching fire being on the news. As I remember, the area where the wharfs are as the river dumps into the lake had a lot of leaking fuel, and other flammables floating on it.

I went back to the old stomping grounds to scatter my aunts ashes a couple years ago. We scattered them in the wooded area of a park she specified, and got eaten up with mosquitos.

BTW, the 61 degrees inside I mentioned was in the afternoon, we always sleep with a window open.

Shawn Pixley
03-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Just general pollution. It has burned at least 13 times. The first was in the 1800's.

But there are people who don't think we should have environmental regulations....:eek:

Brian Henderson
03-07-2015, 6:18 PM
In the winter, our furnace is set to 60ºF at night. It's been down to that inside each night most of the last 3 months. Even with regular single-digit temps (and occasional below-zero temps), I have only worn a jacket or coat a handful of times. There are rumors of near-70ºF in our forecast by St. Patty's Day. I'll be a puddle of sweat...

Our thermostat is turned off. We have turned it on *AT ALL* maybe 4-5 times this season. At night, it might get down into the 50s. Right this minute, it's 71 in the house.

Rick Potter
03-09-2015, 2:09 PM
Well, it happened again. Steve, our furnace guy brought over new parts that separate one zone from another, and they were the wrong ones again. He was trying to replace just the damper motors, but the shafts did not match. Next week he will bring over the whole setup and replace it. Just shows you that being a nice guy sometimes doesn't pay off. He was trying to save me a couple hundred bucks.

So far, the only funds he will accept are for his helper. I will have to force it on him at the finish line. He is a friend, but I don't want to take advantage of that, even if I have to beat him over the head with cash.

Tom Stenzel
03-09-2015, 4:14 PM
Today it went up to 47 so I opened up some windows, warm up the house a bit.

Actually the thermostat is set to 66 during the day and 60 at night.

With each snowfall the driveway seemed to get narrower, today was spent chopping out snow and clearing out paths for the downspouts.

BTW, rivers catching fire wasn't a rare thing. The Rouge River caught fire numerous times in the Dearborn and southwest Detroit areas. The last big one I know of was in 1969

-Tom