PDA

View Full Version : Inner Flit

charlie knighton
03-05-2015, 2:01 PM
from the calabash Zia series

my other entry for Piedmont Arts Expression show

Roger Chandler
03-05-2015, 2:35 PM
That has some pizzaz, Charlie! I like the color and designs on it! Now tell us the "artists explanation" of all it represents.........the story behind the art is what makes your piece come alive, so...........I am all ears! :)

Bill Boehme
03-05-2015, 4:06 PM
That has some pizzaz, Charlie! I like the color and designs on it! Now tell us the "artists explanation" of all it represents.........the story behind the art is what makes your piece come alive, so...........I am all ears! :)

I am also very interested in "the rest of the story". I saw the turning in the AAW gallery and the title, "Inner Flit" is a teaser that made me even more curious. Since I don't know anything about Zia art, all help is greatly appreciated.

charlie knighton
03-05-2015, 4:22 PM
Roger and Bill, where to start. Thank you for looking and commenting. The form depicts the attention span of man orsouthwestern people’s belief of different worlds/demensions. Your choice of these meanings or it canmean something entirely different based on your experiences.
If you watch a golfer on tv, he concentrates over hisshot. Someone moving, the wind blowing,a bug, a sound, etc will break his concentration, and the golfer will back offand reset. Our mind in the time of mesaverde and today, does much the same as the golfer. We try to concentrate, but our mindconstantly is on scan……sort of like hitting the scan button on your radio, onlyit is very difficult to lock on a station. The images of this form moves your concentration from the colors to the symbols,not resting on any one. The colors areboth primary and secondary….bothaggressive and receding….the colors have start and stop, or one dimension tothe next dimension. The intensity ismostly likely different for each individual.
The symbols….my favorite. The main symbol is the collection of spirals. A spiral can depict the emergence into theworld. The spiral is what the shaman in trance conveys the journey throughwhat…..yes through what. The spiral isnot singlar to the southwest people of the 700-1300’s, but are found worldwide,a good example is Ireland. If you taketime lapse photos of outer space, different galaxies show up as spiral, such asthe milky way. Only ancient man did not havetime lapse photos. Another favorite symbolis the dragonfly or mosquito-hawk. Thedragonfly are shamanistic creatures and have supernatural powers. If one sits by a lake (fishing or not) andwatches dragonflies, they have amazing motion. They hover, dart left and right, up and down, right angles. If one were to try to describe their movementit would be similar to ufo’s movement. They seem to flit.
As I put this form together, the sky-people of the southwestpeoples lore combines with the power of the mind to visualize time and spacebecame one.
As I said above the form may mean something entirelydifferent to you.

Roger Chandler
03-05-2015, 4:59 PM
Ah yes.......now your art comes to life in my mind, Charlie! Thanks for sharing what most minds would not perceive, unless you had shared the background, and now it makes sense and one can see in your art what you have envisioned! http://www.woodturnersunlimited.com/forum/images/smilies/1thumbup.gif

Bill Boehme
03-05-2015, 9:03 PM
Thank you for the insight into your art, Charlie. That definitely helped me get my mind into what inspired you.

I would like to offer my perspective if you are asked to talk to the judges about the inspiration that lead to creating the piece. Express your personal inspiration with liberal use of personal pronouns clearly and in no uncertain terms without mentioning how it might or could or should be interpreted by others. Of course, you are completely free to "lead" their thoughts with suggestions as long as the hearer of your background story thinks it is his own idea that is emerging.

charlie knighton
06-01-2015, 4:12 PM
somebody copied my design, check out bottom center of photo.......unbelievable

http://www.archaeology.org/images/JA2013/Letter_from_China/panjiayuan-antiquities-market.jpg(ImagineChina)
At Panjiayuan, a popular tourist market in Beijing, some vendors offer antiquities for sale. While most are probably reproductions, such markets—alongside galleries and acution houses—might be an outlet for the sale of illegally excavated antiquities.The past decade has seen a boom in the market. At international auction houses, such as Sotheby’s and Christie’s, Chinese antiquities regularly blaze past sales expectations to be among the most sought-after relics. In 2011, a sale of Chinese ceramics and artwork at Christie’s in New York took in $38 million.
While international auction houses work under regulations intended to prevent looted antiquities from coming to market, the growth of China’s domestic market has contributed to the demand that has fueled the surge in tomb raiding. In 2012, the country’s art and antiquities market was the largest in the world. In Beijing, I visited an antiques appraiser named Zhang Jinfa, whose office is in a complex called the Ends of the Earth Antiques Town. He was tucked in a sparsely decorated room with a few antique vases in a smudged case and an abundance of cigarette smoke.

“I tell people not to collect antiques,” he said. “It is a big responsibility.” Zhang himself started collecting in the early 1980s because he wanted to connect

Sid Matheny
06-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Another interesting piece from you Charlie. Thanks for sharing the picture and your insight into the piece.