PDA

View Full Version : process for creating stencils

Graham Taylor
03-04-2015, 8:42 AM
I was wondering if anyone is willing to share their CorelDraw method for creating stencils from pdf, jpg or vector images.

I am currently using the method below but always seem to get loads of extra crap (except for some vector images) and lines that do not show in the image. I assume that this is because the images are being used are either jpgs or pdf files (this is how our designer has gioven them to me as they draw the images using pencil and then scan or photo them). I then have to try to remove as much of these lines as possible hoping that it doesnt remove any of the design

select image
make contrast 100%
trace bitmap using high quality outline trace
right click red for cut line and check the lines are hairline
left click on X to remove back ground
print to JobControl

Is that process what most people use or is there a more effective way to do it cleanly?

Thans as always for helping me out - it is much appreciated.

Bill George
03-04-2015, 10:01 AM
I have tried in the past to use pen or pencil drawings, its a pain in the rear end. The trace for me anyway just generated a lot of work. They make drawing tablets that let the artist draw with an electronic stylus.

Bernie Fraser
03-04-2015, 2:24 PM
I was wondering if anyone is willing to share their CorelDraw method for creating stencils from pdf, jpg or vector images.

I am currently using the method below but always seem to get loads of extra crap (except for some vector images) and lines that do not show in the image. I assume that this is because the images are being used are either jpgs or pdf files (this is how our designer has gioven them to me as they draw the images using pencil and then scan or photo them). I then have to try to remove as much of these lines as possible hoping that it doesnt remove any of the design

select image
make contrast 100%
trace bitmap using high quality outline trace
right click red for cut line and check the lines are hairline
left click on X to remove back ground
print to JobControl

Is that process what most people use or is there a more effective way to do it cleanly?

Thans as always for helping me out - it is much appreciated.

Having the original artwork drawn by pencil can make it difficult. What I would do with artwork like that is. select edit bitmap and in Corelpaint first look for areas that needed to be touched up with the paint brush tool. Paint black onto areas that need it and remove unwanted spots by painting white. Save it from paint and then convert it to 1 bit black and white back in CorelDraw. Now you can try the trace function. You can always keep the original artwork in bitmap form below your vector trace as a guide to see if the trace has gone well. Delete the bitmap before sending to the laser.

A tutorial worth purchasing is by Jeff Harrison on using the draw tools and a technique to redraw bitmap artwork manually quickly.

http://macromonster.com/index.php?mod=descr&id_desc=5&id=17

Hopefully there be some more posts on different methods. Good luck with it.

Mike Null
03-05-2015, 8:41 AM
I usually convert the bitmap to black and white, as Bernie says, then I use the simple trace feature which often gives me a good enough outline that only a little touch up is needed.

Graham Taylor
03-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks Mike, I have spent most of the day messing but am having trouble with a bit of text for a logo - I have another thread going for that one asking for help :confused:

Joe Pelonio
03-05-2015, 9:21 PM
On the listed steps the most important and time consuming goes between 5 & 6, cleaning up the artwork. I usually convert to black hairlines then fill with a light color to see what it looks like, and start adding/deleting/manipulating points until everything is nice and smooth, and is an accurate representation of the logo.

Kristian Matz
03-06-2015, 2:46 PM
Anything other than a basic trace we send out to our contacts at one of the artwork companies in India. In 4-5 hours they email me back a vector file that is ready to engrave. I pay $7 for most logos convert to a B&W vector file. We have been doing this for about 12 years now. There is no way I can do it in house that cheaply.