PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

Lee Schierer
03-03-2015, 3:16 PM
I recently purchased a new computer running Windows 8.1 Home edition. It came with McAfee, which I can't stand, so I removed it. I installed an anti virus program I have a subscription with and I got a notice on the screen that says I need malware protection, which my virus checker does not do. On my Windows 7 machine Windows Defender runs in company with this virus protection software that I own. However, Windows Defender is not working on the new machine ans has been disabled in some way. When I tried to start it it is installed, but disabled. I have tried to enable windows defender, but it will not run. I tried to down load windows defender and it says it is already installed. No option to repair an existing installation.

I did some searching and some information I found says that Windows Defender in version 8.1 is both a malware detection and an anti-virus program. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case?

Wade Lippman
03-03-2015, 3:34 PM
All the reviews say that Windows Defender is completely worthless. I know that in the 4 years I used it it didn't find a single problem, while Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware found several.
I switched to Panda. I have never gotten a message about needing malware protection. (this computer is W7, but my laptop is W8...)

Myk Rian
03-03-2015, 5:17 PM
Install ccleaner and run it in the registry mode. Second tab down on the left.
Let it do it's thing by clearing all errors it finds.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Bert Kemp
03-03-2015, 6:32 PM
I run AVG free edition and Spybot search and destroy and in 15 years never caught a virus (KNOCK ON WOOD)