PDA

View Full Version : router jig

Dave Fritz
03-03-2015, 9:51 AM
I'm searching for some ideas for a shop made router jig for my lathe.

One use would be to make a final flat pass on rolling pins to be sure they're flat. I know good tool control would do it but I have some physical limitations that won't allow my body to move without some pain and I don't like pain.

A second use may be to do some fluting on lamps etc.

I have a trim router to use. At one time I thought I remember seeing a nose piece that attached to the router so you could adjust the depth of cut. The nose piece rode on the wood as a stop piece.

I appreciate any information and possible links you may have. Most of the information I've been able to find shows them being used and I'm more interested in the building of one.

Thanks so much.

Dave Fritz

Reed Gray
03-03-2015, 11:01 AM
I use 80 grit on a piece of wood. Generally I can get it close with hand tools, but if it isn't good enough, I use the 80 grit. Works every time. There are duplicators that you can set up if you are doing a bunch of them.

robo hippy

Marvin Hasenak
03-03-2015, 1:23 PM
For routing flutes check out this link. http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/router_jig.htm

Grant Wilkinson
03-03-2015, 1:37 PM
Dave: If you search on "lathe duplicator", you will find lots of plans for jigs that would easily accomplish you rolling pin job. The duplicator would simply register on a straight edge behind your rolling pin, giving you a perfectly straight cylinder.

Thom Sturgill
03-03-2015, 3:19 PM
Dave: If you search on "lathe duplicator", you will find lots of plans for jigs that would easily accomplish you rolling pin job. The duplicator would simply register on a straight edge behind your rolling pin, giving you a perfectly straight cylinder.

Or a perfectly tapered rolling pin if you want that style. Something like the first jig would also work to cut dovetails for fitting legs to a Shaker style table with a center spindle. Route three evenly spaced flats followed by three dovetails. Me thinks I need to build one and finish a project....

Dave Mcintire
03-03-2015, 4:40 PM
Instead of a nose piece, use a "fence" for the router to ride against. Most trim routers have a threaded hole in the body that holds the base. Remove the base and fasten a wood piece to the router using a bolt in this hole so you can use it horizontally and put the wood piece against the fence to give a nice straight cut. I assume you already made or have plans for an aux table to sit on the lathe bed. If this isn,t clear, let me know and I can take a few pics of my set up tomorrow.

Dave Fritz
03-03-2015, 6:26 PM
Dave,

I don't have a base made yet, I'm still trying to figure out how to make one that would allow straight cuts and also possibly do some fluting. I'd love to see pictures it if isn't too much trouble.

Dave Fritz

Jeffrey J Smith
03-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Dave: Harvey Fein used to sell a kit that used a trim router and a table/fence setup to do some pretty intricate "incising" work on the lathe. His setup had a nose piece fashioned from sheet metal that acted as a depth stop. He used to have a site at incising.net, but it doesn't seem to be active now. I took a quick look and didn't find where it is still available, but I know that Peter Blair was doing some really nice work based on some of Harvey's techniques. Peter is a member of the creek - you might reach out to him and see if he's got the plans for the jigs and fixtures. I know I've got the files safely tucked away somewhere, just haven't been able to locate them as of yet.

Michelle Rich
03-04-2015, 7:00 AM
this is not quite what you are asking for, but the fellas above pretty much answered your platform stuff..years ago I made a box that sat on the ways and used a bolt to hold it still. You could make one & put your router on it. you could tack a strip parallel to your piece..then just keep the router pushed against that. It would do what you wish. For the flutes, you will need indexing on your lathe. Another option is to work from the top down, with a router on top of a box that envelops your material. Go to router books..it seems to me there are tons of designs there to accomplish what you wish.

Dave Mcintire
03-04-2015, 4:19 PM
I have a few pictures but I just can,t get them to attach to the thread. If you send me your email in a pm i will forward them.
dave

Peter Fabricius
03-04-2015, 5:31 PM
Hi Dave,
Here are a couple of pictures of the Jig I built to hold the router so it will make flutes etc on woodturnings.
Hope this helps.
Peter F.