PDA

View Full Version : zinsser clear sanding sealer

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2015, 9:26 AM
I am having to change up my finishing because I temporarily do not have a spray booth. I am doing a clear finish on Makore and the guy at the paint store talked me into trying Zinsser clear sanding sealer. I sprayed it yesterday and when sanding this morning the paper is loading up very easily. Seems soft, but this store does go through a lot of product so I doubt it is old. I am topcoating with waterlox XL88.

Is this normal for this product? If not what do you suppose is wrong?

I miss my lacquer.....

Thanks, Larry

Bill White
03-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Are you using Seal Coat? That's the dewaxed shellac I use for a sealer. How heavily did you apply? Usually Seal Coat will flash off pretty quickly, and it does have a longer shelf life than its waxed counterparts.
Bill

Mike Henderson
03-03-2015, 1:15 PM
Try stearated sanding paper.

Mike

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2015, 2:57 PM
Thanks Mike. I'll run to town and get some while the air clears in the shop. A guy could get drunk in there..

Scott Holmes
03-03-2015, 3:09 PM
Indeed you can get intoxicated by spraying alcohol based finish. I have not experienced it, but a follow finisher and friend said it is by far the worst hangover you can imagine. The alcohol is absorbed by your lungs; which have a direct connect into your blood...

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2015, 4:00 PM
I turned the pressure way down and used a primer gun so I can run at 30 psi. Not so much overspray with an HVLP conversion gun, but my shop is small and it smells like vodka in there. I go in and spray and then go in the house while it airs out.

But yeah I am getting a bit of a buzz.....