PDA

View Full Version : Circular Saw Guide Survey

Bob Yarbrough
07-31-2005, 11:34 PM
I have a new (6 month old) PC router. I have a POS saw that needs replacing. I'm tired of homemade saw quides when trying to cut sheet goods.

But a Festool 55 on close out for $325?

Buy the Eureka Zone "complete" kit with saw & router guide, table set-up, and also buy a new saw?

Kinda know which way I'm leaning.

Bob

Ed Blough
08-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Bob

I'm in the same boat. Let me know what you decide and why.

I see pluses with both, I really like the concept of the guided saw. One thing that is mudding the water for me is I'm also sold on the MFT also. Although Dino has said that he felt it was possible to attach the EZ guide to the MFT. So the plot thickens and the decisions become harder.

Like I said let me know what you decide and why.

Chris Padilla
08-01-2005, 1:01 AM
The main reason I went with the Festool system is because their circular saws have the best dust collection out there. That was it, plain and simple.

The new close-out prices on the Festool circular saws sure make them hard to ignore...don't dawdle too long or they will sell out of them.

Richard Blaine
08-01-2005, 3:03 AM
I hope I don't start the fight with this post.:eek:

Both systems are well liked by their fans.

Here's the price break down:

$325 Festool atf55 (comes with a 55" guide rail)
$ 71 another 55" guide rail (so you can rip a sheet of ply)
====
$396

$189 EZ-Smart 100 (100" rail)
$110 PC Mag 324 (amazon.com)
====
$299

So you have a $100 dollar difference for better dust collection with the Festool, but special order blades. I dunno. At the closeout price it's tempting, but when I bought my ez smart, the festool was full price, and I got the ez smart at a discount.

It was one of the hardest choices I've made.

In the end, I just couldn't see spending an extra $200 for very similar functionality. And the inability to walk into any Borg to buy a new blade really bugged me at the time. (Quite frankly, it still does.)

Again, my opinion, and I am not trying to start up the F/E wars again. This is just a recap of how I made my decision.

Bob Noles
08-01-2005, 6:51 AM
Bob,

I cannot make any kind of comparison as I have never used or even seen a Festool, but I can say that the E-Z system is the best thing that has happend in my shop. It has all but replaced my table saw and unless I'm wrong, the new repeato additions about to hit the market within the month will more than likely push my table saw out the door. Dino has done an excellent job both from a quality, innovation and safey stand point. What I like most about the E-Z system is that I can use any brand tool or blade replacement or whatever, without being tied to any one manufacturer or source of purchase. E-Z is simply brilliant IMHO. The price is right too.

Good luck with whatever route you go.

Rey Johnson
08-01-2005, 7:14 AM
Bob,

I have both systems and they both work very well. I would recommend either one of them . If dust collection is important to you, the Festool system can't be beat.

But to get the dust collection capabilities, you would also have to buy one of the dust collectors.

I had my EZ system first, but then bought the Festool system because of the dust collection (Allergies, asthma :( ). I have since bought many other Festool tools.

You just can't lose with either of the products.
Rey

JayStPeter
08-01-2005, 11:00 AM
I hope I don't start the fight with this post.:eek:

====
$396

====
$299

You forgot the guide rail connectors and a Festool hose so you can use the Festool DC without duct tape. Big price difference, but just the DC is worth it IMO. I borrowed a PC saw and hooked a vac to it before deciding on the Festool.

The battle rages on because of the different importance of DC to different people. If you don't mind dust, Festool seems like a waste of money. If you don't like dust, Festool is the best thing since ... well, the dust collector. If I didn't have sinus problems related to dust, I probably wouldn't have gotten hooked on Festool myself. Making the decision to spend that much on a circular saw was tough. The decision to buy other Festools hasn't been nearly as tough.

Jay

John Hemenway
08-01-2005, 12:41 PM
I can't really compair, I have the EZ and haven't used Festool.

The EZ is great. This is the first time I've been able to get such a sharp edge on the cut, the edge can actually cut me! Kinda like a macro-paper cut. Now not only do I have to watch out for sharp tools, I have to pay attention to sharp plywood!

Anyone like to share their DC solutions for EZ using PC CS? (attempting new world record for # acronyms in one sentence :) )

Dave Falkenstein
08-01-2005, 1:08 PM
I have not used the EZ system, so I cannot compare it to Festool. I can tell you I bought Festool because I see it as a "system". Several tools work with the guide rails. All of the storage boxes (Systainers) interlock and are the same footprint. Most tools work with the dust extractor. Dust collection works very well, especially with the sanders. All of the Festool products are superb in both quality and design. Chances are if you are into price comparisons, you will not be attracted to Festool.

John Foote
08-01-2005, 3:36 PM
Anyone like to share their DC solutions for EZ using PC CS? (attempting new world record for # acronyms in one sentence :) )

Take a clear 2-liter soda bottle, and fashion one of these.
http://i.pbase.com/u38/foote/medium/40213953.Shroud.jpg

Cable tie it to the saw thusly...

http://i.pbase.com/u38/foote/medium/40213950.Frontal.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/u40/foote/medium/40213949.Frontside.jpg

Scott Coffelt
08-01-2005, 3:54 PM
Bob,

I have both systems and they both work very well. I would recommend either one of them . If dust collection is important to you, the Festool system can't be beat.

But to get the dust collection capabilities, you would also have to buy one of the dust collectors.

I had my EZ system first, but then bought the Festool system because of the dust collection (Allergies, asthma :( ). I have since bought many other Festool tools.

You just can't lose with either of the products.
Rey

Not entirely true. I have the ATF55 and run it on my Fein. It would have worked with my Ridgid shop vac as well, just need an adapter.

Dan Forman
08-01-2005, 5:06 PM
I went with Festool partly because I found a used (in like new condition) AT65 for $300, including 2 55" guides and an accessory kit. Though the guides on both systems can be used with routers, the dust collection with the Festool router is as superior as with it's circular saw. In the end, it was the dust collection that made the difference. Otherwise, I'm sure the systems are very similar in capability. I still cringe at the price of Festool stuff, but then you get what you pay for.

Dan

Cecil Arnold
08-01-2005, 5:33 PM
[QUOTE=Richard Blaine]I hope I don't start the fight with this post.:eek:

====
$396

====
$299

[quote]

You also left out the Festool has a reaving knife (sp?), adjustable plunge cut capibility, electronic feedback (soft start) motor, and will cut to 45* with the edge guide. To compare it to th ePC Mag 324 is like a Dodge Neon vs. a Mercedes-Binz.

Jon Toebbe
08-01-2005, 10:31 PM
I've got the EZ kit and love it -- as another poster put it: it's the best thing that's ever happened to my shop. I can certainly understand the "sex appeal" of the Festool rig, but I already had a good circular saw and router. The dust collection is nice, but it wasn't $200 worth of nice.

Festool is reputed to be the cat's meow -- but EZ ain't half bad. The only irritation is quickly making multiple, identical cuts. It sounds like Dino is working on that, though...

For now I use the EZ with CS for anything sheet good related, a cheap table saw for repeated crosscuts (with stop block) or dados, and the EZ with router for assorted joinery tasks. Everyone goes on about the guided saw, but in my opinion it's the guided router that makes either system truly shine. I can't stop giggling while cutting mortises using the EZ guided router. Manual CNC indeed.

Cheers,
Jon

Steven J Corpstein
08-01-2005, 11:30 PM
I have never owned or used the Festool guide. I couldn't afford it.

Bill Spievak
08-02-2005, 11:34 AM
I've used and will continue to use both. I agree with what others have said, it is the dust collection that makes the difference. When I go into a client's home it is the Festool that goes with me. At the shop dust isn't a problem because I cut the sheet goods outside, so the EZ gets used. I try to do all cuttling and routing of sheet goods before I take them inside. If I cut sheet goods inside my shop, particularly mdf and/or melamine, I'd probalbly use the Festool there as well. I do like the Festool vac, I used my Fein for a couple of years with the saw and the DeWalt router with dust collection, and then my wife got me the Festool vac with the smaller router for my birthday, tools store on top and it is less tippy in the truck. The router handles well and is very precise.

Mike Ramsey
08-02-2005, 11:43 AM
I have a new (6 month old) PC router. I have a POS saw that needs replacing. I'm tired of homemade saw quides when trying to cut sheet goods.

But a Festool 55 on close out for $325?

Buy the Eureka Zone "complete" kit with saw & router guide, table set-up, and also buy a new saw?

Kinda know which way I'm leaning.

Bob

Bob,
I've never used a saw guide but when I was at PSI looking at turning stuff
I noticed that they had a nice panel saw system for $99.00
Here's the link if your interested.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=PPS-2&Category_Code=

Chris Padilla
08-02-2005, 1:17 PM
I should've added that although I have both systems, I have yet to open the box(es?) Dino sent me way back when! :o My plan was to use the EZ mostly for guided router work (I refuse to get Festool routers...I have enough money into Festool...trying to keep what little tool budget I have left! :p ). MY PC routers have decent DC so we'll see how that works out. :)