PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about building a canoe/kayak

Kevin Wolfe
03-02-2015, 1:38 PM
So the other day, I saw a video of a strip built kayak that was awesome looking. I have a couple of questions though.

First, I need help finding the design I would like. I don't live near the ocean (4hrs away) so I would be primarily on flat water (lakes, rivers). I would use it primarily for exercise so I don't need anything bulky for touring or camping. I would prefer something fast. I have seen pictures of of more open/narrow kayaks for this as well as canoes with and without outriggers. Something where I don't need to be totally engulfed in a cockpit.

Second, after paying for plans (I estimate between $100-$200), would I be able to build it within $1000 budget (I buy and mill the wood)?

This project really intrigues me for some reason or another.

Jim Creech
03-02-2015, 3:20 PM
I would begin with Bear Mountain Boats. They have a number of canoe,kayak and small boat plans available. I have built several of their designs from Ted Moores book with great success. The book is well worth the price if you have never built a wood strip boat before. Lot's of good info. You should be able to complete one of these for well under $1000.00.
Keep us posted!

Mac McQuinn
03-02-2015, 9:15 PM
I agree with Jim regarding Bear Mountain and Ted Moores book, I believe it's in it's second, revised edition now. I will add that a good grade epoxy and cloth will probably be one of your biggest expenses.
Good luck, have fun!
Mac

Barry McFadden
03-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Hi Kevin....I'm new here and mostly do woodturning now but thought you may be interested in seeing a canoe I built a few years ago...got the plans from a book in the local book store but didn't like the way the decks were so I used some pictures of a canoe with the decks I liked and made mine from that. The canoe is made from Western Red Cedar, 1/4 inch thick and has with one layer of fiberglass cloth inside and out covered with epoxy resin and 3 coats of marine varnish. The gunnels are oak with black walnut plugs covering the screws and the decks are bird's eye maple and cherry. The yoke is carved from Black Cherry. I still have the canoe today and use it often.... hope this helps you get started....

Kevin Wolfe
03-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Barry, that's a great looking canoe you have there. I'll admit that for a week I was thinking about building a strip canoe so I could take my boys on it. Then I thought about it and can just picture then saying (after 200hrs of stripping, sanding etc) "no thanks Dad".

Therefore, I am proud to announce that I have taken the first leap into boat building. Yesterday I order the Spring Run kayak plans from Redfish kayaks. They got very good reviews and I am told that the owner Joe is very helpful and responsive. Guess I take a trip out to HD this weekend and pick up materials for the strongback and forms. Yeah!

On that note, does anyone have a source for clear cedar around central PA or even mail order if the price isn't crazy? The only local place is around $9/bft for 5/8 thick stock. I can get poplar and spruce off craigslist (rough sawn) for about $2/bft. I know its not cedar but then again, I'm not a professional kayaker.

Paul Romanoski
04-25-2015, 1:55 PM
That is a goregeous piece of furniture -I mean canoe. ;o) I noted you said you'd put one layer of glass over it inside and out. But it looks very transparent. I assume this adds quite a bit of strength and keeps the pieces from separating and keeps water out. Is there a special thickness of glass you have to use? What are the approximate dimensions (length overall and width at widest point) and approximate weight of this build?

I'm thinking about building a kayak for myself and am just starting to look into it. My problem is I'm a big guy-and I worry if something built of red cedar would support me when standing up and if I used other wood or re enforced it somehow by making it thicker, etc, then it would be too heavy for me to carry and get all dinged up when using it if too heavy. How heavy is yours approximately? How good is the strength on the bottom-I am 6'5 and 425. I want to make a fairly long and wide one as I want to float high in the water and have good stability for fishing and I have a high center of gravity due to my height and size, so I flip over easily on the kayak I purchased (bought a 2 person one and moved seat to middle). But the one I bought has a very round hull and will never be stable enough for me to hook and fight a large fish here in Edgewater FL where big redfish and tarpon, sharks are fairly common.

What are your thoughts on how heavy something the length/width would be built in a way that would support someone big standing to enter and exit?

Ideas from all are appreciated-thanks!

Barry McFadden
04-26-2015, 9:44 AM
That is a goregeous piece of furniture -I mean canoe. ;o) I noted you said you'd put one layer of glass over it inside and out. But it looks very transparent. I assume this adds quite a bit of strength and keeps the pieces from separating and keeps water out. Is there a special thickness of glass you have to use? What are the approximate dimensions (length overall and width at widest point) and approximate weight of this build?

I'm thinking about building a kayak for myself and am just starting to look into it. My problem is I'm a big guy-and I worry if something built of red cedar would support me when standing up and if I used other wood or re enforced it somehow by making it thicker, etc, then it would be too heavy for me to carry and get all dinged up when using it if too heavy. How heavy is yours approximately? How good is the strength on the bottom-I am 6'5 and 425. I want to make a fairly long and wide one as I want to float high in the water and have good stability for fishing and I have a high center of gravity due to my height and size, so I flip over easily on the kayak I purchased (bought a 2 person one and moved seat to middle). But the one I bought has a very round hull and will never be stable enough for me to hook and fight a large fish here in Edgewater FL where big redfish and tarpon, sharks are fairly common.

What are your thoughts on how heavy something the length/width would be built in a way that would support someone big standing to enter and exit?

Ideas from all are appreciated-thanks!

Thanks Paul...the fiberglass cloth is white when you start but turns clear as you put the epoxy resin on it. I think the cloth was either 3mil or 6mil..hard to remember that far back. It is very strong which is why no ribs are needed on the inside. I chose epoxy resin over polyester resin (even though it's quite a bit more expensive) because the polyester resin can let water vapour in and possibly delaminate. The epoxy resin won't let any vapour in. the moisture content of the wood when you apply it will stay that way forever. The canoe is 16 feet long and about 34 inches wide in the middle. It weighs about 70 pounds.
We have often had myself , my wife and our 2 boys (when they were younger) in it so that would be about 500+ pounds with no problem.

If you are talking about standing upright and stepping into it I wouldn't do that in any canoe because I would be in the water in no time! I hold the paddle in both hands and lay it across the two sides and use it as a brace for getting in. If you're looking to build a longer or wider one I guess it's just a matter of finding the right plans for it.

Hope this was helpful.

Paul Romanoski
05-02-2015, 8:39 AM
Thanks Barry this is very helpful in many respects, thanks for taking the time.