PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2015, 8:31 AM
2 March 2015

First of all...a very good friend of mine and woodworker is having surgery this morning so I'm standing in support of him and his family this morning.

The weather has been crazy here and it's been frustrating to say the least. I know some of you have had it much worse than here. All that aside, the guitar build is under way and my buddy and I are building one each and this is something that has been on his bucket list and mine for many years now. I'm also in the throws of working on repairing a small side table for a customer of mine. I've got to make some serious progress on this thing so he can ship it out to his daughter.

Been working through several issues at home and trying to help my last school aged son to get his act together and graduate this may. I love my son but he just seems to not have a clue about growing up. Sheesh.!!!

Well, enough on that.... :)
So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
03-02-2015, 10:27 AM
No "actual" woodworking, but some planning for various projects that are on the list for this year, including some minor updates to the kitchen. It was also cold and nasty and I had zero motivation...

Bill Adamsen
03-02-2015, 2:13 PM
Made a mock up of a "police dog sniff box" for a friend that's leading some dog training classes. It was quick and easy to make with finger joints as shown, and I love the louver top. Perhaps a bit excessive for the job (plywood would have worked fine) but once approved I can crank the balance out like "hot dogs."

Steve Voigt
03-02-2015, 4:24 PM
Finished up a plane, except for another coat of oil and some wax.

Shawn Pixley
03-02-2015, 6:05 PM
Last week was crazy, so why should the weekend be different?

Friday after a long week, LOML & I drove into LA to see the Church at the El Rey. Great Concert! Saturday was our annual tax appointment. We'll get a refund from the Feds and pay a bit to the State of California. After that I picked up my repaired iPhone that I had dropped and broken the front glass. LOML got some more sanding foam. Some other errands and back home. We swapped out the chest freezer in the Garage. I started the assembly of the guitar I have been building. I lost an online auction for a saw that someone else thought they wanted more than I. Smoked a pastrami but had greek food for dinner.

Sunday, I had to fly to Boston. So after digging out the winter clothes that are seldom used I set off for the land of Ice and Snow. Well air traffic sucked and I arrived in Boston at 10:30 PM. On the second leg of the flight I was in the center seat at the rear of the plane with a crazy person next to me. The guy was talking to himself the whole time and had no sense of personal space - lovely. Well my luggage decided to stay in Chicago. I did manage to find dinner at 11 PM. Today I had two tours and discussions with a developer at MIT and the president of a GC/CM firm. While I don't dress up to travel, I am not a slob either. So I wasn't too embarassed to be seen wearing the sames clothes I wore on the plane. My luggage caught up to me at the hotel in the afternoon (I wasn't there). So now I am enjoying a Guiness in the hotel bar. I'll steel myself to head out into the cold for dinner.

Lee Reep
03-02-2015, 6:21 PM
I'm trying to organize wood storage in my smallish basement shop. I currently have it vertically stacked against the walls, with square buckets trying to manage it. I went so far as to mark the buckets with wood species, and grabbing the board I want is easier than trying to pull it off a shelf. But horizontal storage would mean having the ability to store longer boards. For my current storage solution, if the boards are too wide, or too tall, the bucket size and the ceiling limit storage. I've thought about ditching the buckets, and just building a retaining frame for vertical storage (along the lines of a Hone Depot rack, on a much smaller scale of course).

Part of me says give up and move the wood to the garage, but living in Colorado, I worry about drastic swings in temperature from winter to summer. Maybe I shouldn't? I would gain a fair amount of space for other storage such as wall cabinets and maybe even a tool or workbench in the current wood satorage location.