PDA

View Full Version : Refurbbing a "chute" board

steven c newman
03-01-2015, 7:55 PM
Well, it isn't quite a Masterpiece, but

Three pieces of scrap wood were throw at each other a few years back. Wasn't the best jig in the shop. A 2x6 was cut up, an oak scrap was made into a pair of cleats. Got to checking it out the other day....

Well, no projects on the table right now, might tear this thing apart, and try to make it at least a wee bit better. Took the end cleat off, and leveled the jig with a jack plane
That rebate along the edge? Well, that is supposed to be where a plane will ride. It wasn't quite at 90 degrees in the corners
Notice the corner? Well, I could try to fix that. First this needs to be in a vise
Then I could use my Wards #78. I took the fence and depth stop off the 78, and checking with a square, refined the rebate a bit. Got to looking at the end rebate that holds the stop, it too was off a bit.
Used a saw to make sure it was at 90 degrees to the track rebate, needed some work with a chisel. Finally a couple swipes with the 78. Track is done. Added the stop on the end, took a little work with a hammer to set it in place. Stop also stuck out into the track. Had a grinder handy....no longer sticks out. Clamp the jig to the bench, clamped a scrap of Pine against the stop. Got out the Sargent 3416, and gave it a try
Seems to work a lot better now. Just a simple jig. :D

steven c newman
03-05-2015, 12:38 AM
Have just turned four legs four a Shaker Style table. Might use this to square the top of the legs? I left the top 7" square in profile. Crosscut wasn't all that great, might use this jig to tune them up a bit. Tops are about 1-1/2" by 1-1/2" square. Rest of the 30" long leg is turned with a very slight taper. We'll see how it goes...

Jim Koepke
03-05-2015, 1:00 AM
My shooting boards have me thinking about making replacements. Next time the platform will be made of thinner stock so more blade is available to the work.

jtk

Richard Hutchings
03-05-2015, 7:02 AM
This one by Paul sellers has piqued my interest. He has a one made from some kind of high grade plywood but in the video he uses pine. I like the idea of the pine one because it's so light. The one I have is made from 3/4" melamine and it's just too heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ypbvcxb-8M