PDA

View Full Version : Roy Underhill Portable Workbench

Marc Seguin
03-01-2015, 7:36 PM
http://projects.mykos.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/finally-assembled-1.png

I got my new workbench completely assembled today. It's not 'finished' per say since I still have some cosmetic details to do and some bolts to trim shorter. It however completely useable now. No longer just a top on some sawhorses.

I'll be making a shelf to drop on the stretchers behind the cross braces. That way I can pile some boxes of tools on there to add a bit of weight. I also need to make the crochet, a shooting board and a moxon vise to fully accessorize it. I'll probably put some rubber over the feet to give it some more grip as well.

I decided to build this bench after seeing it on Steve Branams blog. He has a great three part post on building it with plenty of details. I used his build details to create a Sketchup model to my own dimensions. So far I'm thrilled with it. It's not an 8' behemoth for sure, but for living room woodworking it seems to be just perfect.

Tom Stenzel
03-01-2015, 8:56 PM
Nice job, it looks like a really practical and useful bench.

Don't make it look much nicer it'll get commandeered for use when company comes over. ;-)

-Tom

Winton Applegate
03-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Oh good for you !
Well done !
Finally some angle bracing on a wood working bench.

Marc Seguin
03-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Just thought I'd add that I've uploaded the Sketchup drawing (https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u2bc73dae-0920-421c-bd53-8cb70ad7fff8) to the 3D warehouse.

Reinis Kanders
03-04-2015, 5:06 PM
Looks nice. Is it stable enough for planing?

Marc Seguin
03-04-2015, 8:25 PM
The bench itself is totally solid. No racking at all.

As you can see I have shiny wood floors, and the feet of the bench are just the unfinished ends of the legs. So right now it scoots if I don't butt the end of the bench up against that post you see behind it. Or I can brace my right foot against the front right leg of the bench so I'm resisting my own planing force. I'm going to put some rubber feet on it to make it less scooty.