PDA

View Full Version : What's a Delta 768 10" band saw worth these days?

Jack Vines
03-01-2015, 4:19 PM
I know there are many fans of this little saw here, so thought I'd go to the experts for advice.

I've got a chance to pick up a mint Delta 768 10" saw. It does need tires, has no motor, switch or stand.

So how high do I go?

Also, I know these were routinely fitted with 1/4hp or 1/3hp motors. Since this one needs a motor, is there any need or advantage in fitting a 1/2hp or 3/4hp?

jack vines

Dan Hahr
03-01-2015, 7:44 PM
I'm not a fan of anything smaller than my 14" Delta, but if you will never need the power or capability of a 14", I suppose it would be up to how much you are going to spend getting it running. For decent tires, you will probably spend $30-40, a decent motor will run you at least a hundred, and a switch and wiring might run you another $30-40. You can build a stand, so I'm not factoring that in. Delta parts might be hard to find, especially for a 10" saw.

I'd put as big a motor as you can fit to it, up to probably a 1.5 hp. I would put at least a 1/2 hp. The 3/4 hp I took off my 14" saw seemed so inadequate.

I'd put maybe $50 into it provided it was in great condition and didn't need any important parts.

Dan

Thomas Hotchkin
03-02-2015, 11:54 AM
I had a 10" Delta Bandsaw years ago. Great little saw but hard on saw blades on that 10" wheel, any thing larger then 1/4" would get cracks from the blade flex.

Jack Vines
03-02-2015, 12:20 PM
I had the opportunity to use a completely original 768 on the stand with a 1/4-hp motor and a 3/16" blade. It was wonderful for fine and light duty work. From what you're telling me, greater motor horsepower couldn't be really put to work because wider blades will crack?

jack vines

John Lanciani
03-02-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm not a fan of anything smaller than my 14" Delta, but if you will never need the power or capability of a 14", I suppose it would be up to how much you are going to spend getting it running. For decent tires, you will probably spend $30-40, a decent motor will run you at least a hundred, and a switch and wiring might run you another $30-40. You can build a stand, so I'm not factoring that in. Delta parts might be hard to find, especially for a 10" saw.

I'd put as big a motor as you can fit to it, up to probably a 1.5 hp. I would put at least a 1/2 hp. The 3/4 hp I took off my 14" saw seemed so inadequate.

I'd put maybe $50 into it provided it was in great condition and didn't need any important parts.

Dan

I'm guessing that you're not familiar with the Delta 768. The saw is basicly a 2/3 scale model of the venerable Delta 14" saw, it even uses the same guides and trunions as the 14" saw. They havent been built since before WW2, so parts are only available when someone parts out a saw. I'd bet that you could part one out today for $300+ if you were so inclined.

1/4 or 1/3 HP will be plenty, and a 1/4" blade is just about perfect.

If I had to part with mine today I wouldn't take less than $500, but mine has the correct stand, motor, and retirement light and it is fully restored and ready to run. (It's sitting in my den being used as a lamp right this minute)

Jack Vines
03-02-2015, 4:37 PM
I'm guessing that you're not familiar with the Delta 768. The saw is basicly a 2/3 scale model of the venerable Delta 14" saw, it even uses the same guides and trunions as the 14" saw. They havent been built since before WW2, so parts are only available when someone parts out a saw. I'd bet that you could part one out today for $300+ if you were so inclined.

Yes, agree; IIRC, the Model 768 is one of the rarest of all the Deltas, only produced for about three years, say 1937 - 40.

Because it had about as much iron in it as a 14", the 768 wasn't profitable to sell at a price competitive with other much less stout 10" band saws. I've had Walker-Turner, Craftsman and several others 10"s and they're toys by comparison.

Another FWIW, it used the same steel stand as the 4" jointer.

jack vines

Dan Hahr
03-02-2015, 5:07 PM
It seems as though you know more about them than most folks. So, how much do you want to spend on one? Are you using it for serious work or do you just want to restore one and look at it? Value is based on so much more than other folks' opinions on what you should spend. I waited until I found a good deal and spent $200 on a good 14" saw. It's a later Delta, made in USA, and has enough power to cut 6 inches of hardwood fairly well.

I told you how high I'd go. But that's just based on my isea of value. There are too many other tools I could really use that I'd rather spend money on. If money is no object, Grateful Dead concert tickets are selling for 1.6 million each. I think the saw is worth at least 5 times the value of one of those tickets.

If you're not looking at it from a value/cost aspect, it just boils down to how much you are willing spend to have it.

Dan

Jack Vines
03-02-2015, 5:44 PM
Yes, since my first post, I've done some research over on OWWM.

The owner is pricing it as a collectible. I'm pricing it as a user. We're trying to find the middle ground which will work for both of us.

They havent been built since before WW2, so parts are only available when someone parts out a saw. I'd bet that you could part one out today for $300+ if you were so inclined.

Again, as research, I went looking for a stand. On eBay, a flipper bought a 4" jointer and is parting it out. His total asking prices for the various parts of a $100 working jointer is more than $500. He's asking $3 each for the bolts which hold the stand together!

jack vines