PDA

View Full Version : Belt slippage or ...?

Joe Shanaphy
03-01-2015, 1:08 PM
Hi all. I've noticed that recently my Jet 1221VS slows down during a fairly light load and takes longer than usual to come back up to speed. The problem has been worsening as time goes on. I have blown out the belt area and routinely blow out under and around the switch and VS control. It FEELS like belt slippage but the tension feels right and is set according to Jets specifications. Has anyone else had this problem on this or other lathes? Thanks in advance!

robert baccus
03-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Buy a spray can of auto bely lube--stops slippage and noise.

William Bachtel
03-02-2015, 7:52 AM
The belts that come with imported machines, are really not that good, I wood try a good machinery supply store and up grade, call the factory rep also.

robert baccus
03-02-2015, 11:21 PM
If you do replace a belt consider the link type--they are smooth and quiet and do not require headstock removal

Dick Strauss
03-03-2015, 1:01 PM
Link belts are not an option for the Jet1221VS. They use a J-section or micro-v belt.

Joe,
The first thing I would do is contact Jet and see if they have any suggestions since it is still under warranty. If you need to replace it later (on your own dime), I'd suggest you find a replacement from a company like Gates.

Thomas Canfield
03-03-2015, 8:38 PM
Belt slippage usually has some squeal noise associated. I am not familiar with how the pulleys are attached to motor and drive shaft, but usually they are keyed. You should check that the pulleys are firmly attached and keys are in place if supplied. I saw a new $250,000 air compressor not start because the key was left out of a little lube oil pump drive required for permissive start.