PDA

View Full Version : 7" wheels for bench grinder

alex penner
03-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Hello everyone:

I just bought a Baldor 712E (cheap) to sharpen my gouges etc. I'm trying to locate some fine/extra fine wheels which are 7" x 1.25" x 0.625". 7 x 1 are relatively easy to find however the 1.25 width is like searching for honest politicians. I know they exist as i have seen them but 2 hours on the net last night did not result in anything other than an image.

Does anyone know of a source for some quality 7 x 1.25 x .625 wheels?

Thanks

alex

Reed Gray
03-01-2015, 1:00 PM
7 inch diameter wheels are not common but 6 and 8 are. Just not much of a market for wheels that size. Wheels wider than 1 inch were very uncommon till the CBN wheels came out, and I prefer the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels. I would guess that you may have to settle for 6 inch CBN wheels to get what you want, or 8 inch if that Baldor will handle them. Best bet to talk to would be D Way or Woodturning Wonders. I know Dave can mill specific inserts for the wheels to match the diameter of your shaft. I would guess that Ken can as well. Some manufacturers will drill out to specific sizes. The weight of the CBN wheels can be an issue for smaller grinders or those that have '3/4' hp motors. The 8 inch Baldor I have is twice the weight of the 3/4 hp no name grinder I have, and about twice the actual power as well. Hope this helps some. I think Ken actually has aluminum hubs for his CBN wheels.

robo hippy

Jeffrey J Smith
03-01-2015, 5:34 PM
Alex - talk to Dave at D-way Tools. He's got 7" CBN wheels to fit your Baldor grinder. FYI - he's also got 10" versions for converting Tormec grinders.
d-waytools.com (http://www.d-waytools.com)