PDA

View Full Version : grizzly 1079r sander vs, 16/32 performax

Jeff Bartley
03-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Hi Folks,
I'm looking at a used griz 1079r dual drum sander and I wonder if anyone out there has experience with this machine as well as the 16/32 performax.
I currently own a 16/32 and get good results, it's just sooooooo slow! The griz bumps me up in HP but with two drums on the work piece I wonder if it'll save any time. The 16/32 will handle a cut depth of about a 64th, anything over that and you risk stalling. I just don't want to make a lateral move. The griz also has a hook and loop setup which might conflict with using the Abranet that I use on the 16/32. I could always take the hook and loop off.
Now I know the real fix is a wide belt but that's not in the cards right now.
Any thoughts?

Jim Andrew
03-01-2015, 12:22 PM
When I first started reading the creek, there was a lot of discussion about moving up to better machines, and finally acquiring the machine you really want after some years. The concensus was that it is much more expensive that way, as you usually have to sell your old machine for less than you paid for it, as well as price increases every year on equipment. Of course you are looking at a used machine, which could be a great buy. For me, buying used is usually not possible, as there is not much used equipment available. The only used sander I found was after I had a new machine on order. And that was 2 years ago, have not seen one since. So I bought the tiny widebelt G9983 from Grizzly. Great sander. Still not as fast as I would like. Doubt I could get one that does much better without spending many thousands.

Mike Hollingsworth
03-01-2015, 3:31 PM
Until that belt oscillates, your paper will burn. I had the 16/32, then the 22/44, then the double 24. None could take the cut of my wide belt.

Keith Pleas
03-01-2015, 3:49 PM
Until that belt oscillates, your paper will burn. I had the 16/32, then the 22/44, then the double 24. None could take the cut of my wide belt.
I have the 1hp version of the 16/32, but I added the Jet 4" hood. Yes, it is kinda slow - and I have found myself turning up the speed some. But the issue is really getting the sanded off stuff out of there ASAP. It's kind of the same with a bandsaw. Or a drill. We focus on the cut, but - IMHO - the real issue is removing the waste.