PDA

View Full Version : Trotec JobControl install issue - Had to wipe hard drive and install Win 7 Pro

Mayo Pardo
02-28-2015, 3:05 PM
As a preface, I had previously installed JobControl without problems.

I was having problems (not related to JobControl) on my Vista based computer and had to wipe out the hard drive.
Installed Windows 7 Pro and got a fresh start.
When I installed Trotec JobControl, on the screen where it asks for Name, Company name, and machine serial number, it doesn't accept my info. Which is the same info I previously used.
Does the laser have to be connected for the install to recognize the info it is asking for?

When installing from scratch like this, do I need to go back to my first installation disk (9.something) and then install the next update (10.2 something AKA known as 10.3), and after that the current version of 10.4 ?

Or should I just be able to install the latest version without installing the previous ones?

I have the license numbers and the software install numbers and the file which is supposed to go into the INI files folder but for some reason the install won't get past the screen mentioned above. Any ideas? I plan to call Trotec Monday but if I can get it fixed this weekend that would be better.

Scott Shepherd
02-28-2015, 3:26 PM
Mayo, the software is looking for your info in a .ini file. It used to be called the machine number .ini, so something like S3-2413.ini but I think that might have changed. In that file, it has important info about your specific machine. When you launch it, it will still ask you for your info, but that file needs to be there and be right. I think they renamed it to jc.ini . Search for that file and scroll through it to see if you see your machine information.

Trotec keeps that file, I think, and I believe they can actually get you that very file for your machine.

I don't think it'll start without that file being right.

Mayo Pardo
02-28-2015, 5:13 PM
SOLVED!

I had previously placed the INI file where it belonged but that wasn't the problem.
OK I had to put my original program CD in and direct the installation program to the folder appropriate for the operating system (32 bit in this case). After that it accepted my registration numbers and it looks to be good to go. The update to 10.4... is in.

Don Corbeil
02-28-2015, 6:56 PM
anyone know what updates are in 10.4?

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2015, 9:12 AM
That's good to know Mayo! I had it happen when I moved to another Mac (running parallels for Windows side of things). I think I'm running the 32 Bit version of Windows 7 on it and I must have installed the wrong version because I haven't had it working for a while. It's the computer I used to make tutorials of Job Control, which is why the videos stopped :)

I'll try to install it again and see if that works on my system. That would be most helpful. I get a lot of calls, emails, and PM's asking me questions about Job Control, so if I can get the videos back up and running, that'll be a benefit to me.

Don, I don't see anything new in it, it looks like a lot of focus on the camera option, which we don't have, and then a number of bug fixes related to the camera, AutoCad, and a few other tweaks. Also looks like new firmware released too, and that looked like bug fixes too (from the Release Notes). If you are running smooth, I don't see anything that would make me upgrade.

Don Corbeil
03-01-2015, 9:21 AM
Don, I don't see anything new in it, it looks like a lot of focus on the camera option, which we don't have, and then a number of bug fixes related to the camera, AutoCad, and a few other tweaks. Also looks like new firmware released too, and that looked like bug fixes too (from the Release Notes). If you are running smooth, I don't see anything that would make me upgrade.

Thanks Steve. It's running smoothly, so I guess I'll follow the "if it ain't broke..." motto.

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm still not having any luck in my install. Since it never had any version of JC on it, it's saying it didn't find anything and then it says my serial number isn't correct. I pulled the jc.ini file from the old computer, put that on there, but it's apparently looking for something else because I can't get by that. Mayo, any clues on what files you might have had to have in place? I've never had the installation CD. I was a beta tester for the software for a long time before it came out and it was all just directly downloaded. My CD is Version 9 stuff. I think I installed that at one point, hoping it would allow me to upgrade, but no such luck.

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2015, 1:11 PM
Yippee! I fixed it. I think I backdoored my way into it, and it certainly wasn't easy to figure out, but it's up and running so I can start the video recording again.

Don Corbeil
03-01-2015, 1:34 PM
Steve,
Glad you got it.
Was it something having to do with the license key?

This (edited info) was required during my install:

Dear customer,
this is the software authorization code you ordered
together with your Trotec laser.
First start to install the software from the CD which
came with your laser.
Next enter the code under HELP – SOFTWARE
REGISTRATION to get the features you ordered.
Software view level: expert v10
LICENSE KEY: 0009999xxxxxxxxx
Activation:
LICENSE KEY: 0009999xxxxxxxxx
Machine type: 8011 Speedy 300
Serial number: S3-xxxx

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2015, 1:41 PM
It was. I managed to get v9 installed successfully. I had it still installed on a PC, so I was able to get the key from that. Once that was installed, it saw it and let me upgrade, then I had the key from that on the current computer that's running the laser, so I was able to get the key from that. It was a little bumpy because it asks for the original CD to be installed and when you click on the CD, it tells you it's not the right directory. After a massive amount of clicking anything and everything possible to click, it finally say "Start" and I clicked that and it worked. If I had to document it, I couldn't :) Too many random clicks :) But it's working now. I'm really happy that I can now start capturing video again.