PDA

View Full Version : saw plate bluing

McKay Sleight
02-28-2015, 12:00 PM
I made this saw a number of years ago and now I would like to remove the bluing on the plate. Does anyone know how this might be done? 308016

Isaac Smith
02-28-2015, 12:45 PM
I use muriatic acid. I bought a gallon a couple of years ago at Home Depot, and have not gone through even half of it yet (hundreds of saw blades). I use the Klean Strip Safer version (I think it is more dilute than the regular stuff they sell). You still want to exercise caution with it, but I have found it very easy to work with.

I use it by dampening a small rag with it, then wiping it across the blade. The bluing is almost instantly removed. Then IMMEDIATELY rinse it off with water, dry it, and wipe it down with oil or something of that sort.

Vinegar will also work, but I found it to be much slower, and it required soaking for several minutes in it. It also didn't leave the steel nearly as bright as the muriatic acid.

I think just about any acid will work, but those are the two I have experience with.

You'll want to remove the handle. Just out of curiosity, I dipped a piece of raw brass (as received from the mill) in my muriatic acid. It removed all of the patina, so that may color your decision. Not sure what vinegar will do to the brass.

Ron Bontz
03-01-2015, 6:03 AM
+1 what Issac said. You may also use Phosphoric acid found in products like Krud Cutter, ( found at Home Depot ) which is a little slower but safer. It may be cheaper than the muratic acid as well. But I really can not remember off hand.Got a neighbor with some muratic acid or a near by concrete worker?

Bryce Adams
03-01-2015, 6:53 AM
Evaporust will remove bluing. Much easier to use than acid and you can pour it down the drain when you're done.

Kyle DuPont
03-02-2015, 12:10 AM
Mild citric acid will remove it without a problem in a few seconds. Then you can pour the used acid down your drain. Buy the citric acid at a candle supply place, restaurant supply, or google.