PDA

View Full Version : needs some ideas for an anti-tailgating device

Brian Ashton
02-28-2015, 7:00 AM
Don't think it's possible to stop tailgating but I can think of a way to make it unpleasant for them... but I need some suggestions on what are some fairly low burning temp chemicals that put off a real bad smell when they burn, preferably with a bit of smoke for effect... any suggestions? Or some ready made gases that have a bad smell in small quantities. Obviously they need to be nontoxic but repulsive

Larry Edgerton
02-28-2015, 7:36 AM
I tried a couple of things. First I mounted a set of Cibie Super Oscars on the back of my truck. More for high beams, but good for tailgaters. Third time I used them it was a county sheriff. End of that story.

Second time I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold, plumbed it with to a windshield washer pump and reservoir, and filled it with cod liver oil. Flip the switch and the dual exhaust emited the worst smelling smoke you can imagine. It only worked a short time before the injector in the manifold would plug, but it was fun for tailgaters.

I had a good one by accident. I was running a gravel train and I had one of those guys trying to save mileage tucked in behind me where I couldn't see him. Someone had dropped a couple of bags of mortar in my lane and there was no way to avoid them. They got hit by 11 axles and instantly created an impenetrable cloud from tree line to tree line on I75. I never saw that car again.

Dave Richards
02-28-2015, 7:40 AM
Larry! You oughta include a warning when you post things like that. I about choked on my coffee.

:D

Robert Delhommer Sr
02-28-2015, 8:30 AM
Needless to say I was not thinking about the kind of tailgaters you are refering to and could not imagine why you had against tailgaters (the kind that get together at football games, ect. Very popular around here). But now I get it LOL.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-28-2015, 8:51 AM
I mounted a mirror to the tailgate. At night if you get too close it aims your lights right back at you.

Chuck Wintle
02-28-2015, 8:51 AM
Don't think it's possible to stop tailgating but I can think of a way to make it unpleasant for them... but I need some suggestions on what are some fairly low burning temp chemicals that put off a real bad smell when they burn, preferably with a bit of smoke for effect... any suggestions? Or some ready made gases that have a bad smell in small quantities. Obviously they need to be nontoxic but repulsive
where i live it seems that everyone tailgates but in reality some do and many do not. Its just the way people drive and I normally just move out of the way and let them go thru if they are in such a rush. i think the government could do more by sending a message to drivers that tailgating is not good.

Matt Day
02-28-2015, 10:31 AM
To start with, make sure you are traveling the speed limit. If you're driving below the speed limit I think it's rude to hold up people behind you, so pull over and let people pass.

If somebody is really riding your tail, either slow way down so they go around you, wave them on, or pull over.

Anything you do besides being passive is asking for trouble and is likely dangerous.

I mumble quite a few choice words at the amount of morons that are on the road - crossing the center line, texting, talking on the phone, driving too slow, not signaling, etc. but I try to keep it at that. It's not worth doing something stupid.

Grant Wilkinson
02-28-2015, 10:46 AM
I don't know how to create an odour, but on a previous car, I installed a toggle switch that turned on my brake lights. A couple of flips of that and most backed off, scared that they were going to rear end me.

Ole Anderson
02-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Didn't one of the James Bond cars have some cool devices that would discourage tailgaters?

Jerome Stanek
02-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Worst tailgater I ever had was at night. He was so close that I sped not knowing that he was a city cop and he hit his lights and I topped real short he ended up in front of me in the ditch and barley could talk. he told me that I was doing 50 MPH and I said yes I know that is what the speed limit sign that we just past was posted when I sped up.

Larry Edgerton
02-28-2015, 11:16 AM
I don't know how to create an odour, but on a previous car, I installed a toggle switch that turned on my brake lights. A couple of flips of that and most backed off, scared that they were going to rear end me.

In my wilder youth I always had a switch to turn my brakelights off......

Steve Rozmiarek
02-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Love the bags of mortar Larry, I bet that was a sight to see. Not really a big problem around here, but I have noticed that something flopping around in the back of the pickup looking like it's ready to fly out seems to keep people off the bumper. I don't think it's against the law to apply the brakes if you feel a deer/elk/walrus etc may come out of the ditch into your way. It's also up to the people following you to be doing so at a safe distance and react to you safely. Careful though, the police have an opinion about messing with tailgaters I suppose, and it's probably some cluless teanager that you'd fell horrible about hurting.

Jim Koepke
02-28-2015, 12:24 PM
In my younger days a tailgater would really get to me.

One of my wild dreams came from being a caddy at a golf course. One of the fairways had the tee on a hillside and the fairway was across the road. Every once an a while a player would get a bad hit and hit the road. If a driver was unfortunate enough at the time the ball would end up under their car. The movement of the car would knock the ball forward and back down to the ground. This would continue until the vehicle came to a stop. Then all one could hear is some loud emissions of foul language coming from a rattled driver.

I have dreamt up many ways to launch a golf ball from the back of my car, but have never done it.

Now I try to determine if the person is actually tailgating. A car that is actually two seconds behind is what used to be considered a safe following distance. (Now it is called the three second rule.) At two seconds behind, it looks awful close in the mirror.

It is easy to tell when there are shadows across the road. Start counting when you go under and see how long it takes for them to get under the same shadow. Other markers can also be used. Just remember to do this in a safe manner.

A friend used to start drifting and swerving to get tailgaters to back off. Never seemed to work for me.

Now I just try to find a safe way to let them pass.

If you do go the "stink generator" route, maybe you should have a bumper sticker to warn them. Something like "Ride my Butt, Smell my F@#%$."

What I really dislike is the idiots in their motor homes who often can't do the speed limit staying in the passing lane and making everyone go around. There is a special place in Hades for people like that.

jtk

Scott Shepherd
02-28-2015, 1:03 PM
Not condoning this....but.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhJF4-isqdU

Wade Lippman
02-28-2015, 1:38 PM
I was hoping this would be about how to stop my wife from tailgating. Nagging sure doesn't help.

Anything you do could involve criminal charges if it goes wrong. Just keep that in mind.

Mike Henderson
02-28-2015, 1:55 PM
The best thing to do with tailgaters is to pull over and let them go by - even if you're driving the speed limit. On a one lane highway, I've waited until there was a place to pull off to the side - then I signaled for a turn, pulled over, and let them go. I'm not a cop - I don't enforce no tailgating laws - and I don't want to get into a road rage incident. Let it go - cool it - get out of their way.

In Germany, the person coming behind you will flash their lights and the driver ahead gets over. In the US, I've seen people slow down and refuse to get over just because someone flashed their lights.

Mike

Rick Moyer
02-28-2015, 4:08 PM
Needless to say I was not thinking about the kind of tailgaters you are refering to and could not imagine why you had against tailgaters (the kind that get together at football games, ect. Very popular around here). But now I get it LOL.
I was reading it the same way, Robert. Thought he may have lived right beside a stadium! Let's not go to Robert's house and drink and grill! Lol.

Rick Moyer
02-28-2015, 4:10 PM
I meant Brian's house.duh.

Gary Yoder
02-28-2015, 5:01 PM
The best thing to do with tailgaters is to pull over and let them go by - even if you're driving the speed limit. On a one lane highway, I've waited until there was a place to pull off to the side - then I signaled for a turn, pulled over, and let them go. I'm not a cop - I don't enforce no tailgating laws - and I don't want to get into a road rage incident. Let it go - cool it - get out of their way.

In Germany, the person coming behind you will flash their lights and the driver ahead gets over. In the US, I've seen people slow down and refuse to get over just because someone flashed their lights.

Mike

+1

What is it about us Americans that have to "win", while we're driving? Trust me, my first 5 years of driving..... not proud of.... Then I found myself rushing my wife to the hospital to have her baby and I'm tailgaiting, not really in the mood to have mean jokes played on me.. :rolleyes:

Michael Weber
02-28-2015, 5:13 PM
I used to own a Toyota Diesel pickup (loved that truck) and one of my former hobbies was making neon "art". I made a "YO" sign for the middle of the white lettering on the tailgate I could turn on with a switch in the cab. Not particularly for tailgaters but it did encourage them to back off if I turned it on. It was a good natured way of letting folks know I was aware they were close. Got a few smiles and waves along the way.

Brian Henderson
02-28-2015, 5:15 PM
It's easy. When someone gets on your tail, take your foot off the gas. Slow down. Don't speed up again until they either back off or go around you. Then wave and smile and take off again. Works every time.

ken masoumi
02-28-2015, 5:38 PM
+1 to Brian,I also tap on the brakes lightly so the brake lights come on for a fraction of a second,it'll get their attention,if you are going the speed limit ,this act is not endangering anyone and it's perfectly legal although you might middle finger salute ,I just wave with a smile.
I have noticed ever since I started driving my 2 door Honda civic,I'm hardly tailgated,but when I drove my big Chrysler LHS I used to get that almost daily.

Fred Belknap
02-28-2015, 5:57 PM
Back in the days I rode motorcycles I kept a few small gravel in my coat pocket, just drop them on the pavement.

John Coloccia
02-28-2015, 6:07 PM

Mike

Only if it looks like you're about to run them over. It's a strange sort of etiquette they have. If you just get behind them and flash, they ignore you like, "I see you flashing, but there's really no reason for me to move." But if you come storming down the road about to hit them, and flash, they will very politely and efficiently move over. I just kind of learned to put it in 6th gear, keep it floored, flash and hope. Most people were smart enough to move for the 135MPH Mercedes. :)

Brian Elfert
02-28-2015, 6:14 PM
The tailgaters I hate are the ones who sit on your bumper even though the road has multiple lanes in the same direction and they could just move over to the empty left lane. Most of the time they are not exiting right away.

I see my fair share of crazy driving as I now commute quite a few miles each way on the interstate.

Myk Rian
02-28-2015, 6:20 PM
How about a bumper sticker?

Lee Schierer
02-28-2015, 7:09 PM
I saw a bumper sticker that says: "Warning, Do Not Tailgate I chew and spit"

Brian Henderson
02-28-2015, 7:44 PM
The tailgaters I hate are the ones who sit on your bumper even though the road has multiple lanes in the same direction and they could just move over to the empty left lane. Most of the time they are not exiting right away.

I see my fair share of crazy driving as I now commute quite a few miles each way on the interstate.

Exactly. There are a lot of people who just want you go to faster, they don't want to go around, they think they can force you to speed up because they're special. That's why I slow down. I've had people sit there and honk at me, even though they could easily go around. It just makes me laugh.

Brian Ashton
03-01-2015, 4:41 AM
Well I think I have a plan. Thx to those that gave me some good ideas. I'll install a window washing tank and pump in the trunk with a push button switch on the dash. Fill it with either WD40 or engine cleaner. Run a hose to the back end of the catalytic converter and when someone gets too close I'll squirt a bit into the exhaust system. Another variation is to install a tube that T junctions with a vacuum hose running into the engine and squirt engine cleaner straight into the air intake. Should produce a burning oil smell and a bit of smoke that will most likely get the idiot to back off, or they can endure miles of smell. The smoke should give them a clue that the smell is coming from my car so don't follow so close. It's meant to be a subtle passive aggressive approach that would be hard to say I did deliberately. I.e. plenty of cars on the road smoke a bit. And we all stay back when we follow them don't we...

Jim Matthews
03-01-2015, 7:12 AM
That's clever.

Passive, but is it legal?

Jim Matthews
03-01-2015, 7:13 AM
I don't know how to create an odour,

You must not have kids.

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Maybe you should spend the money on a doctor to see why it bothers you so much :D Only kidding. I tend to try and get them to go around too, even if that means me pulling over. If they won't go around, I'll just adjust the mirrors so I can't see them, and I carry on with my own pace. The only ones I really don't like are pickups with bright lights at night, that get right on your bumper.

I think in general, people stopped caring about others on the road a decade or more ago. You used to be in it together on the road, now the "it's all about me" tone rules the road. How many of us have seen a car in the left lane, slam on the breaks, cross two lanes to the right, and then turn into a store? What used to happen when sane people drove, was they'd say "Shoot, I needed to be in the right lane, I missed it" and they'd go up to the next place to turn around and they'd take another pass at it. I don't think that happens too much these days. I wouldn't dream of crossing 3 lanes of traffic to correct a missed turn.

Brian Elfert
03-01-2015, 11:43 AM
I think in general, people stopped caring about others on the road a decade or more ago. You used to be in it together on the road, now the "it's all about me" tone rules the road. How many of us have seen a car in the left lane, slam on the breaks, cross two lanes to the right, and then turn into a store? What used to happen when sane people drove, was they'd say "Shoot, I needed to be in the right lane, I missed it" and they'd go up to the next place to turn around and they'd take another pass at it. I don't think that happens too much these days. I wouldn't dream of crossing 3 lanes of traffic to correct a missed turn.

I love the drivers who force their way from the right lane two lanes over to the left lane, pass two cars, and then immediately force their way back to the right lane to exit the freeway. They don't save any time and just endangered a whole slew of other drivers in the process. They'll do this in the course of less than 1/2 mile of freeway.

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2015, 12:18 PM
I was outside of New York City a while back, technically in New Jersey, I suppose, and the GPS told me I need to get in the right lane for an exit. I knew it for about a mile or more. I was in the left lane. I put my signal on and that immediately made anyone in the middle lane speed up and close the gap. My next move was to start slowing down a little and letting them pass so I could get over. Signal was still on. Nope. All that did was make the people behind me change lanes to get around me, thus closing the gap again. I finally figured it out. I turned off my signal, found about a 2 car length gap and I just swerved over into the gap, then did it once again to get into that lane.

Any driver with a shred of a brain would have just let me over when I put my signal on, especially when there WAS enough room for me to make the change, until they sped up to close the gap. I'm convinced a lot of these people have some serious issues at home and like to play "big man" when they get in the car because they have no say so in things when they walk in their homes.

We even coined the phrase "Pulling a New Jersey", now, when traveling in congested areas where the morons are in high numbers, I just pull a New Jersey on them and let them deal with it. They don't respond to people being nice, so I treat them how they deserve to be treated.

Kent A Bathurst
03-01-2015, 12:48 PM
If it is a 2-lane rd, and the guy is staying on me:
> If there is a clear passing spot ahead, I put on my right turn signal ,, slow down, edge over - he'll always take advantage
> If there is no clear place, I will make tht first available turn-out and let him go.
> The guy had better be pretty damn serious if he is going to pull that stuff. I lock the cruise on +8, because my experience and what I have been given to understand is that tickets start getting written at +10 or +11.
> I can't remember how many times I have executed this maneuver, only to come across the guy, pull over by the LEO.
> As long as I can go my speed - I'll just let him by. In the big picture - who cares

On 4+ lane road
> If I am in the RH lane at my chosen speed, and he pulls this crap, I'll tap the brakes then shift to neutral and back him off.
> IF I am in the LH lane, I'll move over first opportunity. He had better be serious, because if he doesn't make his move before I get pinched, I'm moving back and screw him - he had a shot, and he is just a lousy driver.
> If you are in the LH lane - my version of the world is this: YOu get to pick your speed, but you don't get to impose it on anyone else. If some lunatic wants past at +15 - give him room. YOu ain't the cops - and he gets to choose by how much he breaks the law, as do you. It might be me behind you @ +5 - you ain't leasing the LH lanes - get the heck over, dummy.

Myk Rian
03-01-2015, 3:52 PM
I used to carry a round rock about fist sized. When someone tailgated, I'd hold it on the roof of the car with one finger.

Pat Barry
03-01-2015, 4:48 PM
Just get out of my way! Slower drivers should always pull over to the slow lane (talking about the freeway of course). Makes no difference if you are going the speed limit or even over it, just get out of the way.

Mel Fulks
03-01-2015, 5:18 PM
I've seen ,in bumper to bumper going to the beach traffic ,wackos who blink their lights as if they thought everyone was
going to pull off the road and let them speed by.

Brian Elfert
03-01-2015, 5:28 PM
I have a motorhome with large trailer that I take on long freeway trips. The cruise is always set at 65 MPH no matter what the speed limit is. The speed limit is usually 75 MPH, but sometimes up to 80 MPH. There is rarely any other traffic on the road so other drivers have no reason to tailgate and can easily pass in the left lane. I never drive in the left lane unless passing or for a left exit. (Very rare to pass any vehicle.)

If someone does tailgate me my speed will never change. They can flash their lights all day long for all I care. It is their choice not to pass in the left lane.

Raymond Fries
03-01-2015, 5:32 PM
My brother knows a guy that mounted aircraft landing lights on the front of his car for people that refuse to turn off the brights. Maybe a pair of those on the back of your car would do the trick.

I hate it when people do that.

Pat Barry
03-01-2015, 6:32 PM
I have a motorhome with large trailer that I take on long freeway trips. The cruise is always set at 65 MPH no matter what the speed limit is. The speed limit is usually 75 MPH, but sometimes up to 80 MPH. There is rarely any other traffic on the road so other drivers have no reason to tailgate and can easily pass in the left lane. I never drive in the left lane unless passing or for a left exit. (Very rare to pass any vehicle.)

If someone does tailgate me my speed will never change. They can flash their lights all day long for all I care. It is their choice not to pass in the left lane.
They are tailgating to catch your draft and save gas Brian.

Brian Elfert
03-01-2015, 6:44 PM
They are tailgating to catch your draft and save gas Brian.

Someone tailgating when they could pass has only happened once or twice in 35,000+ miles of freeway driving with my motorhome. It isn't as bothersome to me as with a car as you don't see them like you do in a car.

Rich Engelhardt
03-01-2015, 7:06 PM
Back in the days I rode motorcycles I kept a few small gravel in my coat pocket, just drop them on the pavement.Pennies work too...

Back when I smoked, I'd just toss a lit cigarette out the window and it would "explode" in a shower of sparks on the tailgater's windshield.
They always responded to that by hitting their brights and pulling closer.
That;s when I'd nail em with a lifesaver or some other hard candy :D.

Larry Frank
03-01-2015, 7:23 PM
I hate tailgaters too. However, some of the things mentioned here border on being illegal and dangerous. There are too many dangerous people out there who are prone too serious road rage.

What happens if you cause a serious accident and someone else gets hurt because of your little trick?

Also, dash cameras are becoming more common. If you cause an accident with one of the tricks mentioned here, you could be in serious trouble.

Life is too short to get so upset and endanger your life and others. Just pull over and let the nuts go.

Pat Barry
03-01-2015, 7:49 PM
Pennies work too...

Back when I smoked, I'd just toss a lit cigarette out the window and it would "explode" in a shower of sparks on the tailgater's windshield.
They always responded to that by hitting their brights and pulling closer.
That;s when I'd nail em with a lifesaver or some other hard candy :D.
Thats just asking for trouble. I think you should re-think your methods and not try to create an incident.

Jim Koepke
03-01-2015, 8:52 PM
I'd hold it on the roof of the car with one finger.

I bet I know which finger. :eek:

jtk

Bert Kemp
03-02-2015, 12:33 AM
I just ride my pace in the HOV lane and they never tailgate they go around, greta thing about that hov is really no one messes with you. They can't cut you off , all they can do is go around.

Rich Engelhardt
03-02-2015, 7:26 AM
Just to clarify - I'm not talking about your every day close follower.

I'm talking full blown tail gater - where you look in the rear view mirror and see no headlights, just hood, because they are so close behind you.

Close followers?

Pfftttt - I have insurance to deal with those clowns.

roger wiegand
03-02-2015, 7:51 AM
So what do you do about the morons who insist on driving 10 miles an hour below the speed limit in the passing lane? Pass on the right? (illegal and dangerous) Flash lights and/or blow horn? (utterly ineffective in most cases) Sit there and stew?

Slowpokes in the left lane, or people driving _way_ below the speed limit on a two lane road and never allowing an opportunity for others to pass account for most of the aggressive tailgating I see.

There's also a regional thing--what's normal and polite in the Boston commute would be regarded as incredibly aggressive out in the midwest.

Ole Anderson
03-02-2015, 8:17 AM
I see more and more folks that just like to drive in the left lane for no reason. Not unusual to see six of them lined up behind each other doing the speed limit, so I just stay in the right lane at +5 and pass them all. I consider the left lane the passing lane, apparently most folks don't. At least in SE MI. I have no problem if the are at +5 or are going to turn left in the next mile, or are at least passing slower traffic.

Hey folks, stupid road rage tricks and playing traffic cop will get you killed these days. Chill out, don't hold up traffic and live to see another day.

Brian Ashton
03-02-2015, 8:48 AM
That's clever.

Passive, but is it legal?

Is tailgating or speeding? In other words who cares, I don't

Brian Ashton
03-02-2015, 8:51 AM
Just get out of my way! Slower drivers should always pull over to the slow lane (talking about the freeway of course). Makes no difference if you are going the speed limit or even over it, just get out of the way.

And what gave you the idea I'm in the fast lane?

Dan Hintz
03-02-2015, 9:42 AM
I used to carry a round rock about fist sized. When someone tailgated, I'd hold it on the roof of the car with one finger.

I keep my center cupholder full of quarters. When my top is down on the convertible, I simply hold up a quarter so the driver behind can see it (they're close enough to see the date, usually!). If they back off, the quarter goes back in the cupholder. If they don't, it gets tossed in the air. I don't believe I've ever had to use a third quarter.

Brian Elfert
03-02-2015, 9:44 AM
I just ride my pace in the HOV lane and they never tailgate they go around, greta thing about that hov is really no one messes with you. They can't cut you off , all they can do is go around.

The HOV lanes here most of them have double white lines that are illegal to cross. You can only legally enter or leave the HOV lanes at designated spots.

Ernie Balch
03-02-2015, 10:14 AM
When I taught my kids to drive we made a magnetic sign for the back of the car that said "Student Driver" People tended to back off and leave us room. Years later when one of the kids was visiting I was surprised to see that old sign on his car. He found that it worked in Boston traffic.

Chris Padilla
03-03-2015, 1:54 PM
I see more and more folks that just like to drive in the left lane for no reason. Not unusual to see six of them lined up behind each other doing the speed limit, so I just stay in the right lane at +5 and pass them all. I consider the left lane the passing lane, apparently most folks don't. At least in SE MI. I have no problem if the are at +5 or are going to turn left in the next mile, or are at least passing slower traffic.

This is always a mystery to me. I mostly see it out on the open freeway. The rules seem to change and the right lane becomes the passing lane. I think it is because they do not want to get stuck behind the trucks, motor homes, and generally slower vehicles so groups tend to build up and no one, upon passing, will get over because there is a slow vehicle up ahead coming...soon. It almost forces one to pass on the right if one wants to go a bit faster. I have no problem with drivers hanging out in the fast lane IF they simply glance in the rearview mirror to ensure they aren't holding anyone up but it doesn't happen very often. I'll hang out there if the road is nicer, smoother but I'm always checking the mirror.

I picked up a brand new BMW in Munich back in 2005 (BMW has a cool program called European Delivery where you can pick up your fully US Spec car there and drive it around for 2-4 weeks and then they'll ship it to your dealer after drop-off). It was a pleasure driving on the German autobahn. NO ONE hangs in the left lane. NO ONE. It was shocking and awesome at the same time. Of course, it was also awesome taking my brand new 545i to the max speed of 250 kph (155 mph) on such a butter-smooth road. :D

Ted Calver
03-03-2015, 6:04 PM
.... It was a pleasure driving on the German autobahn. NO ONE hangs in the left lane. NO ONE. It was shocking and awesome at the same time. Of course, it was also awesome taking my brand new 545i to the max speed of 250 kph (155 mph) on such a butter-smooth road. :D
I loved driving the autobahn! My Porsche 928S could hit 140mph (maybe more, but I chickened out) and more than once I had to bail out of the left lane for some exotic, flat as a bug, 'something' that blew my doors off!!

John Coloccia
03-03-2015, 6:17 PM
This is always a mystery to me. I mostly see it out on the open freeway. The rules seem to change and the right lane becomes the passing lane. I think it is because they do not want to get stuck behind the trucks, motor homes, and generally slower vehicles so groups tend to build up and no one, upon passing, will get over because there is a slow vehicle up ahead coming...soon. It almost forces one to pass on the right if one wants to go a bit faster. I have no problem with drivers hanging out in the fast lane IF they simply glance in the rearview mirror to ensure they aren't holding anyone up but it doesn't happen very often. I'll hang out there if the road is nicer, smoother but I'm always checking the mirror.

I picked up a brand new BMW in Munich back in 2005 (BMW has a cool program called European Delivery where you can pick up your fully US Spec car there and drive it around for 2-4 weeks and then they'll ship it to your dealer after drop-off). It was a pleasure driving on the German autobahn. NO ONE hangs in the left lane. NO ONE. It was shocking and awesome at the same time. Of course, it was also awesome taking my brand new 545i to the max speed of 250 kph (155 mph) on such a butter-smooth road. :D

I discovered that the very similar looking "end speed limit" sign in Austria means something completely differently than it means in Germany. Here I am, wondering to myself, "Why won't these jerks get out of my way...and why do the highway signs flash every time I go under them???", while I'm barreling through somewhere between 130mph and 140mph. They never caught me, but I'm pretty sure they've got plenty of blurry pictures to remember me by.

Kent A Bathurst
03-03-2015, 6:32 PM
So what do you do about the morons who insist on driving 10 miles an hour below the speed limit in the passing lane? Pass on the right? (illegal and dangerous) Flash lights and/or blow horn? (utterly ineffective in most cases) Sit there and stew?

You mean people with Florida plates, correct? They are the scourge of the interstate system.......... :mad:

Chris Padilla
03-03-2015, 8:14 PM
I loved driving the autobahn! My Porsche 928S could hit 140mph (maybe more, but I chickened out) and more than once I had to bail out of the left lane for some exotic, flat as a bug, 'something' that blew my doors off!!

My buddy snapped this pic to commemorate the moment. Believe me, I stayed at this speed for no longer than 10 seconds....maybe! It is scary as all get out at such speeds!!