PDA

View Full Version : Is there an easy way to fix this?

Marc Kerschner
02-26-2015, 6:01 PM
At some point in this plane's history the owner decided to bend the spring steel under the cam lever. I've put up with it for a while but I am now annoyed enough that I would like to fix it because the cam lever flops around and you have to push down on the lever cap when reinstalling it. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Jim Koepke
02-26-2015, 6:19 PM
Can you see the rivet come through on the front of the lever cap?

jtk

Marc Kerschner
02-26-2015, 6:32 PM
Jim, yep I can see the rivet. I'm no metal worker and I am nervous about trying to knock it out - I'm afraid I would mangle it or break the lever cap in the process.

Paul Sidener
02-26-2015, 8:43 PM
At some point in this plane's history the owner decided to bend the spring steel under the cam lever. I've put up with it for a while but I am now annoyed enough that I would like to fix it because the cam lever flops around and you have to push down on the lever cap when reinstalling it. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Is it that big of a deal, it would only flop around when out of the plane? You could put a large nail under it and bend it down. The easy fix would be a new Lie-Nielsen or Veritas, you won't care if that one flops around.

Marc Kerschner
02-26-2015, 9:23 PM
It makes reinstalling the lever cap more inconvenient than it should be. Adjusting the screw to get the right tension is a bit of a guessing game since the bend in the spring steel provides tension even before the cam is snapped down. In addition, I have to push down pretty hard to compress the spring steel just to get the lever cap to slide over the screw. I would like to fix it and I am looking for suggestions on how to fix it without damaging anything. I know how well the lever cap works on my other planes and I would like to get this one up to that level as well. What may not be a big deal to you may be something another person would like to fix - to each his own.

don wilwol
02-27-2015, 7:42 AM
I don't really understand the issue. Some of the springs are tight on vintage planes, some are not. I don't thinks it was bent, its just they way they are put together.

george wilson
02-27-2015, 8:24 AM
You cannot bend the spring down. it does not have sufficient movement to do so. The safest thing to do is DRILL the rivet out, AFTER center punching it so the drill does not wander off the rivet and into the softer cast iron cap's body.

You are right,it is a job for an experienced and skillful metal worker. Can you just find another cap?

Marc Kerschner
02-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the advice George. I'm going to start looking for a different lever cap. At least the old lever cap is functional until I can locate a replacement.

Jim Koepke
02-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the advice George. I'm going to start looking for a different lever cap. At least the old lever cap is functional until I can locate a replacement.

What size is this on? Are you concerned about it matching for type (manufacture date)?

I or someone else may have a spare.

ebay is also a place to find such things.

jtk

Marc Kerschner
02-27-2015, 2:39 PM
What size is this on? Are you concerned about it matching for type (manufacture date)?

I or someone else may have a spare.

ebay is also a place to find such things.

jtk

It is on a Type 13 No. 6. I'm not picky about type but in a perfect world, I would find something without the kidney bean shape.

Jim Koepke
02-27-2015, 3:26 PM
It is on a Type 13 No. 6. I'm not picky about type but in a perfect world, I would find something without the kidney bean shape.

Alas, all my decent spares are #3 & #4 size. I think there is one that would fit, but it is a transitional lever cap that came with my #4-1/2. It just looks wrong on a metal plane.

jtk

Marc Kerschner
02-27-2015, 4:26 PM
No worries Jim. Thanks for checking.

Alas, all my decent spares are #3 & #4 size. I think there is one that would fit, but it is a transitional lever cap that came with my #4-1/2. It just looks wrong on a metal plane.

jtk

Paul Sidener
02-27-2015, 8:49 PM
It makes reinstalling the lever cap more inconvenient than it should be. Adjusting the screw to get the right tension is a bit of a guessing game since the bend in the spring steel provides tension even before the cam is snapped down. In addition, I have to push down pretty hard to compress the spring steel just to get the lever cap to slide over the screw. I would like to fix it and I am looking for suggestions on how to fix it without damaging anything. I know how well the lever cap works on my other planes and I would like to get this one up to that level as well. What may not be a big deal to you may be something another person would like to fix - to each his own.

I understood that. That was why I offered a suggestion, on how to fix it. Apparently you didn't understand how to put a brace under the spring steel and bend it down. Yep to each his own.

Mike Wasson
02-28-2015, 1:30 PM
Marc , I just bought one from nhplanes on Ebay for about $10.00, check him out, he might have another. I have assembled a #6 from pieces for about$45.00 from different sellers and there are a bunch of people selling #6 parts, just have a little patience, you can find it. Like DonW said it really isn't a big deal if it is a little sloppy.

Thomas Schneider
02-28-2015, 4:41 PM
Let me check the bone yard, I'll let you know tonight.

Tom.

Thomas Schneider
02-28-2015, 9:43 PM
Sorry but I don't have one.

Tom.

Marc Kerschner
03-01-2015, 12:31 AM
No worries. Thanks for checking.

Sorry but I don't have one.

Tom.