PDA

View Full Version : Patsy Cline Anyone?

David Ragan
02-26-2015, 5:38 PM
When not in 60s-70s classic rock, my fave shop music is Patsy. Her voice really matured the last few years. Such a tragedy that she is gone.

Karen Carpenter also had the effortless range and depth that Patsy had.

There are many others, I'm sure.

It is a shame that most singers these days feel obliged to scream. My wife watches The Voice, et al and I continually complain about singers trying to do something (via screaming) that they are simply not able to do.

Jim Matthews
02-26-2015, 5:50 PM
Ella Fitzgerald wouldn't have made it out of the first round on these shows.
They're predicated on the same premise that made Sade a 90's hit -
find someone that looks like they could sing and clean up the mess in post production.

The real talent isn't up front, it's in the session room.

Phil Thien
02-26-2015, 5:59 PM
find someone that looks like they could sing and clean up the mess in post production.

Patsy and Ella, cue-up the Spotify!!!

David Ragan
02-26-2015, 6:19 PM

I havent given Ella a listen to really appreciate her-didnt she have the Memorex commercial?
Session? U mean dubbing and editing/producing?

Phil Thien
02-26-2015, 6:45 PM
I havent given Ella a listen to really appreciate her-didnt she have the Memorex commercial?
Session? U mean dubbing and editing/producing?

Yeah pretty much. They auto-tune a ton these days, I imagine most pop stars are tuned. And even their live performances.

And if they can't get close (in the studio), they bring in a ringer to sing it for them!

Mel Fulks
02-26-2015, 7:12 PM
I agree. Can't stand the shrieking. I can't say how much is lack of talent and how much is just desire to shriek. There are
few attempts to modulate voices. Yeah, Ella really excelled at modulation and control we especially like her Cole Porter
double album.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2015, 7:45 PM
....and there is the voice of Roy Orbison......... Jay and the Americans........ I loved the vocal harmonies that came about in the 60's.... female and male vocal harmonies.......

I miss those vocal harmonies.......

Dave Zellers
02-26-2015, 7:52 PM
I have 78 songs by Ella on my iPod. Some of the earliest stuff when she was just 16.

Funny to hear her sing 'He done me wrong' songs at that age but my favorite by far is "When I Get Low, I Get High"

:)

Get the old stuff from the 40's- fabulous.

Dave Zellers
02-26-2015, 7:55 PM
....and there is the voice of Roy Orbison.........
The Voice.

That's what the other guys in the Traveling Wilburys called him.

David Ragan
02-26-2015, 7:56 PM
Leann Rhymes first album was really good, then w second one the shrieking started. Seems like folks start shrieking after debut album
i heard a lady on a album of old time hymns that was pretty close to shrieking, but she gets away w it. "Various artists"-a compilation of hymns. I ve tried and tried to find out who the various performers were. No luck. Album is from early 80s
If u like old style hymns its called Hymn Classics Vol I on Amazon. I just went there and its not there now. Oh, well

Phil Thien
02-26-2015, 8:08 PM
I agree. Can't stand the shrieking. I can't say how much is lack of talent and how much is just desire to shriek. There are
few attempts to modulate voices. Yeah, Ella really excelled at modulation and control we especially like her Cole Porter
double album.

There are, undoubtedly, contemporary performers doing material I enjoy, and doing it well. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPwRdVg5Ug

But this last Christmas I was given a subscription to Spotify and I'm really loving the access to the catalogs of the true masters. The likes if Fitzgerald, Clooney, Mitchell, etc.

BTW, young people exposed to these classics often want to know more about them. Encouraging.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2015, 8:10 PM
What's really interesting is that a lot of those were recorded in one take as the technology of the day allowed.

Rich Riddle
02-26-2015, 8:27 PM
Some of the old singers sure had faces and voices for radio. Those days are gone.

Paul McGaha
02-26-2015, 8:37 PM
I'd say my favorite female singer is Linda Ronstadt. It's a shame she now has Parkinson's disease and can't sing anymore. A beautiful and powerful voice.

PHM

David Ragan
02-26-2015, 9:15 PM
I'd say my favorite female singer is Linda Ronstadt. It's a shame she now has Parkinson's disease and can't sing anymore. A beautiful and powerful voice.

PHM

thats is a shame. She has always been a favorite

Paul McGaha
02-26-2015, 10:13 PM
The Voice.

That's what the other guys in the Traveling Wilburys called him.

Love that band. I don't think George Harrison ever sounded better.

Art Mann
02-26-2015, 10:36 PM

PHM

Back in the dark ages, I went to a Neil Young concert and Linda Ronstadt was the lead-in performer. Nobody had ever heard of her except that she was a singer for an obscure group called the Stone Ponies. She came on and Sang an old song called "Silver Threads and Golden Needles". It absolutely brought the house down. I still get chills just thinking about it after 40 years. She sang about 8 more songs and did two encores. Finally, a very drunk Neil Young staggered up on the stage and sang a song called "Southern Man". I'll bet you can guess how well that went over in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He attempted to sing a couple more songs but by that time the coliseum was mostly empty. I didn't hang around either but counted the ticket price well worth the money because of Linda Ronstadt.

Bill Clifton
02-26-2015, 10:41 PM
For "shop music" I don't think you can beat Pandora - pick a "station" and play it until you get tired of it and then try a different genre.

Frederick Skelly
02-26-2015, 11:01 PM
....and there is the voice of Roy Orbison......... Jay and the Americans........ I loved the vocal harmonies that came about in the 60's.... female and male vocal harmonies.......

I miss those vocal harmonies.......

Speaking of harmonies - how about the Shirrells? I had an older cousin who introduced me to them. Loved em! And lets not forget the ever delightful Andrews Sisters from the 40's. Different era, different style, but still good stuff.

But Patsy and Ella - especially Patsy - are hard to forget. Haunting.

Frederick Skelly
02-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Finally, a very drunk Neil Young staggered up on the stage and sang a song called "Southern Man". I'll bet you can guess how well that went over in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Wasnt that the performance that pissed off Leonard Skinnard and led to "Sweet Home Alabama"?

Shawn Pixley
02-26-2015, 11:59 PM
No, it was "Alabama" LS responded with "Sweet Home Alabama". Warren Zevon Responded with "Play it All Night Long"

Shawn Pixley
02-27-2015, 12:18 AM
I'm a Patsy Cline fan. For my money though, the best female voice in the sixties was Nina Simone. In the seventies - Chrissy Hynde. In the Eighties - Bjork. the nineties - Delores O'Riordan. Lately, Neko Case.

before Patsy - Billie Holliday and Edith Piaf (some might add Sarah Vaughn)

admittedly, I favor indie artists with unique styles. I don't think I own any music by anyone who would have done well on American Idol.

Bill McNiel
02-27-2015, 12:25 AM
Check out The Cowboy Junkies, not country music but fantastic original tunes by this Canadian family led by Margo Timmons and her two brothers who each play multiple instruments.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-27-2015, 7:47 AM
Tough to be in the same league as Patsy Cline, but one of my favorites is Jo Stafford. From an earlier era but good stuff.

Justin Ludwig
02-27-2015, 8:16 AM
Thanks for that video, Phil. I really enjoyed it. I'm always on the lookout for new music.

Kevin Bourque
02-27-2015, 8:57 AM
A few years back I was reading somewhere that the music industry did some research and found that the public mostly listened to artists they could sing along with.
So they started a program of manufacturing artists who sang in a tight range, easily mimicked by the listeners.
Jessica Simpson complained about this publicly when her producers told her to change some songs on one of her albums to make it easier for her fans to sing along.

The industry also found that the artists upbringing, appearance, lifestyle, politics, etc. were just as important to their success as their average voices.
So the industry manufactured all that too.

If there is another Patsy Cline out there she'd better have a smokin' hot bod and a PETA tee-shirt.

Phil Thien
02-27-2015, 9:13 AM
If there is another Patsy Cline out there she'd better have a smokin' hot bod and a PETA tee-shirt.

Thankfully we haven't shunned artists like Adele just because she doesn't fit the mold.

Phil Thien
02-27-2015, 9:16 AM
For "shop music" I don't think you can beat Pandora - pick a "station" and play it until you get tired of it and then try a different genre.

Listening to Baroque Classical via Pandora right now.

People that visit the shop often ask what local station plays classical (thinking I'm pulling-in an FM station).

We had WFMR here in the Milwaukee area, they're gone.

But I have Pandora streaming through a Squeezebox player connected to my stereo, so I can listen to lots of different classical stations.

David Ragan
02-27-2015, 10:34 AM
A few years back I was reading somewhere that the music industry did some research and found that the public mostly listened to artists they could sing along with.
So they started a program of manufacturing artists who sang in a tight range, easily mimicked by the listeners.
Jessica Simpson complained about this publicly when her producers told her to change some songs on one of her albums to make it easier for her fans to sing along.

The industry also found that the artists upbringing, appearance, lifestyle, politics, etc. were just as important to their success as their average voices.
So the industry manufactured all that too.

I belive that. When I was a kid, I thought the only 'group' around was Chicago. They were great up until Chicago V. Carnegie Hall was the pinnacle. I know-the brass and woodwinds disliked that production cause it showcased Terry Kath, and made them sound like kazoos.

My point is that starting with Chicago V, they morphed into a market-driven teenage appealing awful to poppish for me. I knew at the time what was going on. Sure wish they would have stayed with the jazz/rock fusion style. Or, maybe Lamm and Pankow were just out of tunes......

I probably know every single note of the Carnegie Hall albums. Maybe I should get out more.

Baroque is excellent. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos with the clavinet are superb (my highest compliment)--you know, the lively ones, not the depressing ones.