PDA

View Full Version : Back from Vegas:

Richard Wolf
07-30-2005, 8:04 PM
Just got back from Vegas, the show was huge. Lots to see and lots of people to talk to.
I'm exhusted, need to sleep, but one item that may be of alot of interest to you; Grizzly has a new 10" jointer, new base design, with or without insert tips, about $1,500 without and $1,800 with. It will be out in October.

Onieda, packing more into the dust gorrila, a 3 hp version is out. Nice.

Saw Sam Blasso at MiniMax and I know Mike Kahn from MM also, Both great guys, they had a nice deal on the F1 jointer, 16" aircraft carrier.

I really need one off these in my shop, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Show price was only $7000.

The temps were cooler than the week before but still reached 104 most days. I know they keep saying it's dry heat and you don't sweat as much, but I didn't want to be outside very much.

Going to sleep.

Richard

Paul B. Cresti
07-30-2005, 9:36 PM
Richard,

You lucky dog you, I wish I could have gone. Maybe I will make it to the IWF in Atlanta next year, it is suppose to be bigger. I never saw the F1 but it must be a beast cause it is bigger than my FS41 and it is huge in its own rights. MM will be back in our area in December at the Edison show in NJ, maybe they will have one there cause I would like to see it :)

Richard Wolf
07-31-2005, 10:44 AM
Paul, it was a good show. It is hard to believe that Atlanta is bigger, but I heard that also.
The F1 jointer is a huge, top rate, super impressive machine, I know you wouldn't expect less. And the show price cuts off $1,000. It was hard not to jump on it, but I don't like to make decessions to quickly. I'm sure Mike will call me to follow up.

The show is geared more to cabinet makers and larger manufactures, I'm sure you would have gotten alot more out of it than me. A small stair builder like myself has a hard time fitting into the general wood population sometimes.

Richard

Paul B. Cresti
07-31-2005, 11:30 AM
Richard,
Oh please do not assume I am big! It is just me and I have seen your work so you more than qualify as a professional craftsman that deserves to work with the best machinery. What I envisioned as 60/40 Architecture/Woodworking has now evolved into more like 90/10. It can swing back but I need to take care of family first. As far as quality performance on the F1 and the MM as a company you know my opinion. It just comes down to economics in business. Hey maybe we can meet up at the Edison show this December. We can have our own MOG get together but one exception we may actually have saw dust on our clothes and calluses on our hands unlike some other groups we now :) ;) !

Rob Littleton
07-31-2005, 1:27 PM
Yep, got back late last night myself........

Spent too much money...but not gambling :-) TOOLS!!!!

THE WIFE has decided to order from Festool.........SHE wants the vac and a sander for the soapstone. Yeah right, like that aint gonna go in the shop :-). Will be contacting Bob on this one. Hopefully I can slip the saw and guide in there too. hmmm.

Met Mr Blasco at MM and picked up my MM16, (Still on the back of the truck as we speak). Picked up a new Bosch jigsaw and the highlight of the show.................MET NORM!!!!!! Unfortunately, I had to wash my right hand but I'm sure the god dust is still there ......hahah

Pictures to follow. I just fell out of bed and need to get my act together before unloading the truck.

It was a good show (my first)....I was VERY tempted by the Grizzly 10 inch jointer myself.......couldnt get the wife to commit to that one after the MM and the Festool purchases. Oh well, time will tell.

Good to be back.

John Renzetti
07-31-2005, 2:43 PM
Richard,
Oh please do not assume I am big! It is just me and I have seen your work so you more than qualify as a professional craftsman that deserves to work with the best machinery. What I envisioned as 60/40 Architecture/Woodworking has now evolved into more like 90/10. It can swing back but I need to take care of family first. As far as quality performance on the F1 and the MM as a company you know my opinion. It just comes down to economics in business. Hey maybe we can meet up at the Edison show this December. We can have our own MOG get together but one exception we may actually have saw dust on our clothes and calluses on our hands unlike some other groups we now :) ;) !

Hi Paul,
All right you, I'm holding back from commenting on your first sentence. But since you are a fellow Italian and a friend, I'll let it slide. :)
However one more comment and you ride in the back of my pickup truck when we (as in you and I) bring your Felder RL160 up to your shop.
In any case, you should get out more and go to these big shows. There is something there for everybody-even Architect's. :)
On a more serious note, the show was great. Only had two days because regular work got in the way. My big purchase was an edgesander. It's a small occillating type made in the Czech Republic by Houfek. Adwood is bringing in their widebelts also. It also looks like Bob Marino will be getting some more of my money. It looks like battery no. 2 on my Makita drill is now going south. That Festool C12 looks real nice.
Start making plans for the IWF (hard to believe but it is about twice the size of the AWFS). It is scheduled for 23-26 August, 2006. There will be a FOG get together and of course you are invited.
take care,
John

Paul B. Cresti
07-31-2005, 3:22 PM
Hi Paul,
All right you, I'm holding back from commenting on your first sentence. But since you are a fellow Italian and a friend, I'll let it slide. :)
However one more comment and you ride in the back of my pickup truck when we (as in you and I) bring your Felder RL160 up to your shop.
John

John,
Oh man I just reread my post! Ouch that could most definately open me up to some serious interesting posts but I am sure Ken would ....well intervene.....
Yes it is true I am/bought a Felder RL160 clean air extractor but rumors have it that it may be partially fabricated in Italy! ;) You can not deny that the clean lines it has are something only a Italian could design ;) :) By the way does the back of your truck have seat belts or am I am pretty much realying on bunge cords??

Richard Wolf
07-31-2005, 6:39 PM
Spent too much money...but not gambling :-) TOOLS!!!

Sounds like the hand brake went easy on you.

Richard