PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Magnet Next to Steel Gas Pipe

John Goodin
02-26-2015, 10:05 AM
I have read that speaker magnets can create havoc with various types of signals and televisions. Can a gas pipe running between floors create sound quality issues for a ceiling mounted speaker? I cut a hole for the speaker in my living room ceiling and it turns out that the speaker magnet will be next (within 2 or 3 inches) to the transition from hard gas pipe to corrugated stainless steel tubing. Rerouting part of the gas line a few inches is possible since the transition is there but not its not the can of worms I want to open. I would rather not move the speaker location since my ability to make holes is greater than my ability to patch them. Thanks.

Scott Hackler
02-26-2015, 10:15 AM
NO problem. Speaker magnets really only affect magnetic media (VHS, cassette tapes, reel to reel, 8 track, mini DV ect...) and the cathode ray tube televisions. A CRT (standard old style TV) can have it's picture altered by the magnetic field from a very strong magnet. Usually speakers in a speaker cabinet are fine next to a TV, the only real exception might be a cabinet with a massive subwoofer (see giant magnet).

There is some concern about Cat5/6e network cabling, CATV/dish or telephone twisted pair, but it's minimal and not a real issue unless the wires are wrapped around the speaker magnet. As a precaution I always eliminate direct contact with a speaker magnet, but that is likely overkill. Gas pipes don't do anything in conjunction with a speaker magnet.

Jim Matthews
02-26-2015, 5:55 PM
The flux density falls off at the square of the distance.
It might have been a problem in the Alnico days,
but modern drivers have little stray inductance.

If you're concerned, put a piece of roof flashing between
the back of the speaker and the pipe.

If it's not touching, it should act as a 'sink' for the field.
I'm with Scott, it's not a likely problem source.

Mike Cozad
02-27-2015, 8:29 AM
The flux density falls off at the square of the distance.

The timing of this answer couldn't have come at a better time...
Is the equation the same for Flux Capacitance? I'm in the process of adding subwoofers in my Delorean and don't want to end up in 100bc when I'm trying to get to 1985.... :D

George Bokros
02-27-2015, 8:35 AM
The timing of this answer couldn't have come at a better time...
Is the equation the same for Flux Capacitance? I'm in the process of adding subwoofers in my Delorean and don't want to end up in 100bc when I'm trying to get to 1985.... :D

Shouldn't be that much of a problem. It might throw you off a couple of years but not a couple of centuries. One test should tell you how far off it will be and you can adjust your setting to compensate. The difference should be consistent.