PDA

View Full Version : full strength poly before wipeon

Jason Pinsonneault
02-25-2015, 11:28 PM
see a lot of people talking about many coats being needed with wipe on poly, using minwax as an example only could one not use their standard satin poly, brush on a few coats following the normal steps and then lightly sand it to get any imperfections and then use their satin wipe on poly and do a thin coat or two thus getting a thicker finish in less coats while still getting that nice wiped on smoothness on top?

even if not using minwax same idea could be used by using your poly or varnish of choice and for your wipe on simply thinning that same product with mineral spirits to the right consistency for wiping?

just looking for some opinions got a lot of trim to do

Lee Reep
02-26-2015, 12:03 AM
I've made my own wipe-on poly by diluting regular poly with mineral spirits and it works fine. Plus, you can thin it to the viscosity you desire.

John TenEyck
02-26-2015, 9:49 AM
When I use a brush on varnish it usually takes 2 or 3 coats to get a good film. When I use a wipe on product, Arm-R-Seal being my favorite but I've used Minwax with good results, too, it typically takes 3 or 4 coats. I far prefer the results most times using the wipe on products, so it doesn't bother me having to apply one or two more coats. I've never applied a wipe on with a brush to build a thicker first coat, but I know others have with good results. That would be my approach if I wanted to rush things. With trim I think I'd look at a foam or cloth pad to apply the first one or two coats, maybe all of them if it worked well.

John